Normal Topic The Relevant v Irrelevant Test (Read 3678 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ronin_3
New User

The Relevant v Irrelevant Test
Oct 13th, 2003 at 10:38am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I took my polygraph test to aquire a job in a Canadian police force about three weeks ago...and of course I got some "spikes" (guess I wouldn't be here otherwise). Anyway after my "interview" I was only questioned for a short period of time and then sent on my way. The next day I had another interview with a recruiter and he questioned me about my "spikes". Anyway to make a long story short I received my letter stating that I was no longer in the recruiting process and that my file was perminently terminated. I have become very interested in this website over the past few weeks. I believe my polygraph was one of the Relevant / Irrelevant types. As I can not recall a single control type question. The test went something like this.
Q1 : Are you sometimes called _______
Q2 : Are you planning on lying in this test
Q3 : Are we in ____________
Q4 : Are you planning on using CM's
Q5 : Do you live in ______________
Q6 : Have you ever taken illegal drugs
etc...
Untill recently I thought the control questions were the irrelevant ones. Infact the polygraph adm. told me thats what they were. I heard that this type of test is very rarley used due to its even greater lack of usefulness. Is this true? And what type of countermeasures can I use against it next time? Thanks. 
By the way this is a great site...just wish I would have read about it a few months ago. I am however telling all my friends who are looking to get into the police about it. Thanks again.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Canadian Crusader
Senior User

Re: The Relevant v Irrelevant Test
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2003 at 6:00pm
I hate to say it but you are done in finding a career in policing because of that one test.  The force you failed with will divuldge that info to any other force you apply to.  Sorry.  Same thing happened to me.  I have tried to warn people on a web page called cops2be but the "children" there refuse to listen or take heed.  Take my advise and don't waste your time trying to help others avoid the false negatives of a poly.  Most applicants just go in blindly saying how they don't want to fail the poly because they studied the joke behind it.  Appears it is quite common now for the polygraphers to ask if the applicant has studied the poly.  Fail that question alone and you are done.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2003 at 7:18pm
ronin 3,

The polygraph format you have described indeed seems to be the relevant/irrelevant technique. Although this technique has been largely abandoned in favor of the "Control Question Test," some agencies continue to use it, including, notably, the U.S. National Security Administration.

You'll find the R/I technique described in more detail in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, along with suggested countermeasures.

Please do tell your friends who are considering getting into law enforcement about the polygraph. It is important that law enforcement applicants become informed before they are subjected to this quackery.

Canadian Crusader,

Although some participants on the Cops2Be message board seem to prefer to remain ignorant about polygraphy, I don't think it's the norm. Remember that many who read the board don't post. I think the warnings you (and I) have posted there were not in vain.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box guest

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2003 at 4:32pm
George, George, George....don't you think that all of your followers expect more out of you than to "misidentify" an agency, especially one with which you have had extensive contact (your FOIA requests,etc.).  By the way George and company, the agency to which is being referred is the National Security Agency, not Administration. Now say youa re sorry!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2003 at 5:24pm
Oh what a devastating catch you made-- an egregious error indeed.

Quote:
George, George, George....don't you think that all of your followers expect more out of you than to "misidentify" an agency, especially one with which you have had extensive contact (your FOIA requests,etc.).  By the way George and company, the agency to which is being referred is the National Security Agency, not Administration. Now say youa re sorry!

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2003 at 7:47pm
I regret any confusion my misnaming of the National Security Agency may have caused.   Embarrassed

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

The Relevant v Irrelevant Test

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X