Normal Topic Frustrated with my Poly (Read 4549 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Frustrated

Frustrated with my Poly
Oct 7th, 2003 at 8:18pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Am applying for a medium / large police department here in the states and had my poly today, here's how it went (or didn't go):

Items measured were my heart rate, respirations, sweat, and pressure cushions under my butt, each arm, and feet.

Went through the initial test (list of states, lie on the state that you're actually in) with no problems, told that I reacted 'well' to the question I was instructed to lie on and that everything looked good.

Went through the pre-interview with no problems, disclosed the few things I needed to disclose and moved on.

First series of questions went by uneventfully, no idea if I showed deception or not.

Second series went by, I was asked at the end if there was something wrong because strange results were coming up and told the interviewer I was having a bit of back pain, but I would be fine.

About a quarter or third of the way into the third series of questions the examiner got angry and stopped the test.  Then proceeded to basically accuse me of attempting to tamper with the results because there were strange results coming up.

To use the examiner's terms: Early Responses, Variable responses, and couldn't read the chart in general.

What does this mean?  I Was accused of moving (which I know I wasn't doing) as well as pushing the galvanic pads down into the cushion (which I dont believe I was doing either).

I've been scheduled for a much shorter interview in a week (only an hour, I assume to do only the series of questions and a post interview if necessary).

This has left me frustrated and a bid disappointed by the fact that I was not doing anything to attempt to circumvent the test (no countermeasures at all) and was actually being honest in my answers.

Anyone have any opinions?

F

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Re: Frustrated with my Poly
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2003 at 10:28pm
Frustrated

If you get a chance at another poly, demand another polygrapher. This guy can't tell the difference between pain a deception. Also, do not take a poly if you are having back pain. Any pain for that matter. I can tell you from experience that pain causes you BP to rise, you perspire and you can hardly be still because when a spasm hits, you can't help but move even though you think you don't.

The polygrapher is the frustrated one. If he can't do any better than that, he should put his machine in the attic and try to do something in which he is qualified.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Truth
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Oct 8th, 2003 at 6:41pm
Twoblock wrote on Oct 7th, 2003 at 10:28pm:
Frustrated

If you get a chance at another poly, demand another polygrapher. This guy can't tell the difference between pain a [sic] deception.

Excuse me, are you saying a polygrapher can detect deception? Do you seriously believe that?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2003 at 9:27am
Frustrated,

False accusations of countermeasure use are not unusual, and are probably becoming more common as polygraphers become more concerned about countermeasures. Since the launching of AntiPolygraph.org and the publication of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector in 2000, polygraph countermeasures has been a hot topic in the polygraph community.

The pressure cushions you described are intended to detect physical countermeasures. I suspect the device in question was this one, marketed by the Lafayette Instrument Company:

This device seems to be more useful as a scarecrow to deter countermeasure use than  as a working device for countermeasure detection, however. There is no published research supporting the ability of polygraphers to detect countermeasures using these pneumatic cushions.

Although you didn't move during your polygraph examination, your weight distribution over the pads may have shifted during the course of your polygraph, and your polygrapher may have interpreted this as a countermeasure attempt. By the way, pushing the galvanic pads down into the armrest is a crude -- and ineffective -- countermeasure. No one who has researched polygraphy is likely to attempt this.

By "early responses," I suppose your polygrapher meant physiological responses beginning before the asking of a question. I'm not sure what your polygrapher meant by "variable responses." Perhaps he meant that sometimes you responded to a certain question and sometimes you didn't.

I wish you well in your interview next week. Please let us know how it turns out. In the meantime, if you'd like to learn more about the polygraph process, see Chapter 3 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2003 at 6:45am
Actually, the setup in the picture is the exact setup that I was rigged up to, down to the brown boxes.

It was attached to a computer so apparently this department takes their polygraphs very seriously.

To prepare for my next attempt at the test I will take some ibuprofen (I will even write it down on a piece of paper for the examiner, per instructions) and wear something a bit more comfortable.  It should be of much shorter duration this time around so hopefully I will be able to avoid the discomfort I guess I was feeling in the first attempt.

Thinking back on the whole process through my head the only thing that's been giving me solace to this point is the fact that while I was in the lobby waiting to be let upstairs (at the PD) I was talking to a guy who was at the oral-board phase of the process.  He said that he was unable to complete the test the first time around because the examiner (the same examiner I had) had hooked him up and then basically said that it wasn't going to happen right now, he had to be rescheduled and come back as well.  He said he sailed right through the second time around.

Apparently he did fine considering that he was called back for his orals.

We'll see and I'll keep everyone posted on the situation; my hope is that this is some type of tactic or procedure.  Who knows, will know more in several days.

Frustrated

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Oct 15th, 2003 at 7:35am
Gearing myself up for the second time around attempting my polygraph.  Will approach it with the same approach as the first time around - will be honest and give this polygraph 'crapola' another chance.   

Wish me luck and will be sure to post what happens (thursday afternoon is the big day).

Frustrated

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Not So Frustrated

Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2003 at 8:56am
Went through round 2 today, and all went much much better.

Just to recap - no CounterMeasures used (went on faith that the truth will set me free <cringe>); was honest in all my answers; doing no mental aerobics between or during questions.  I have not read TLBLDT as of yet (though I'm considering reading it now out of general education).

First, I had a different examiner.  This examiner's approach was much more professional and appeared to be relatively up front.   2nd examiner gave me more of a sense that the test was going to be fair (as fair as can be considering the circumstances) and that this examiner was better at the trade than my previous examiner.

The Examiner stated they they didn't know why I was being retested and that they really weren't concerned.

We had what the examiner called a blind test in which I did not go through the interview phase again, but that I should refer back to the information I gave to the first examiner when thinking about the questions.

First two series went well, on the third series the examiner asked me to repeat the last word of the the question before answering. IE - "Are you applying for a PO position with given police department?"  --  My response would be "Department, Yes".

The examiner briefly reviewed the charts, made sure there was enough information to review then asked me if I had any problems with the process.  Assured the examiner that no, I didn't have any problems and the examiner asked me again (inferring that it seemed as though I must have had a problem given my responses).  I again assured the examiner there were no problems.

Examiner briefly went into office, returned, ushered me out the door saying 'Good luck, take care of yourself' and it was over.

This procedure of having me repeat the last word in the question has piqued my curiosity, has anyone heard of this method and if so under what circumstances is it given?

Feeling quite a bit less frustrated now knowing that if I am eliminated at this point that it wont be due to nerves or inadvertant motions / items that I didn't have control over.  If I'm now eliminated at least I'll know that it was due to my answers not coming across as honest (even though all were answered honestly).

Not So Frustrated

IP Logged

Frustrated with my Poly

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X