Normal Topic HELP! SECRET SERVICE QUESTION (Read 5121 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box USSS_applicant
New User

HELP! SECRET SERVICE QUESTION
Sep 26th, 2003 at 2:57pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hello-

I'm hoping someone can help me...... I applied with the Secret Service to be a special agent a few days ago and everything was going well with the prelimineray phone interview.  UNTIL we got to the drug question. When he asked if I had ever tried drugs I froze and said no, when in fact I have tried a few drugs in my college years.  I'm kicking myself now because the agent seemed enthusiastic about my qualifications and I'd hate to lose out on my dream because I wasn't honest in the phone interview.  

My question is, do I even have a shot now?  I absolutely plan on confessing that I have dabbled in a few drugs during my first face to face interview--- I would never let it go to the polygraph!  Does previous drug use bar you from eligiablility?  Thanks in advance for your help Smiley

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Re: HELP! SECRET SERVICE QUESTION
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2003 at 3:07pm
USSS_Applicant,

Depending on the nature of your drug useage you might or might not be disqualified based on any subsequent admissions you might make in that area.  The more serious and likely problem for you is the following.  You will almost certainly be disqualified if there exist inconsistencies in your prior and future descriptions of some event/area of concern (including drug useage).  Honesty will be the issue--not drug useage.  Even if you receive a break with this issue, you can be assured that you will be less likely to be believed during the subsequent polygraph circus.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2003 at 3:09pm
Even if your past drug use were not disqualifying, your having lied about it during the phone interview would probably disqualify you.

Rather than confessing your past drug use (and the fact that you lied about it during your phone interview), a wiser option would be to simply withdraw your application at this point.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box USSS_applicant
New User

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2003 at 3:18pm
Thanks for the answers..... would it help if I just said I didn't feel comfortable answering the question over the phone ?  I have a letter of recommendation from a current special agent on my side, but I realize I screwed up BIG time by not being honest.

Or would it help if I called up this week and confessed that I wasn't honest?  I don't even know if it is worth it though because I have tried several drugs (cocaine, marijuana and ecstasy) but I could count the number of times for all drugs on 2 hands.    Thanks again for your help.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Hopeful SA

Reply #4 - Sep 27th, 2003 at 9:39am
Bottom line is this, if you tried drugs more than twice, you're out. When I was interviewed, I had to sign a waiver stating that I never tried them more than twice. The SA who interviewed me told me that any agency such as the FBI and SS has this policy. If you make it to the polygraph, they'll beat the question to death there and look for the smallest inconsistency, drugs, to nail you on. So at this point, I'd confess now and take my chances. It's just my opionion but I'd rather gamble now rather than look like a liar at the poly and kill my chances for sure.

IP Logged

HELP! SECRET SERVICE QUESTION

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X