Normal Topic A Modest Proposal (Read 3262 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

A Modest Proposal
Sep 21st, 2003 at 7:33am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Given the certainty that most polygraphers here seem to have about the efficacy of their art and expanding on the idea that corruption within must be prevented by invasive polygraph screening perhaps the poly community might consider this proposal:

Regular polygraphy of sworn officers along the lines of the current counter intelligence screens to include these questions:

1. Have you ever falsely testified in order to gain a conviction?

2. Do you know of other sworn officers that have falsely testified to gain a conviction?

----------------

Now, since false positives may occur, a DI should not be used alone to take action, but could trigger a discreet but complete BI.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Re: A Modest Proposal
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2003 at 5:20pm
Marty,
Good, but I doubt the poly community will go along with it. The reason? The sworn officers will present a united front against any such screening through their unions and associations. Can you imagine the repercussions of every major police union and association coming out against polygraphy? It would be the swan song of polygraph screening. IMHO.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Sep 21st, 2003 at 8:18pm
orolan wrote on Sep 21st, 2003 at 5:20pm:
Marty,
Good, but I doubt the poly community will go along with it. The reason? The sworn officers will present a united front against any such screening through their unions and associations. Can you imagine the repercussions of every major police union and association coming out against polygraphy? It would be the swan song of polygraph screening. IMHO.

LOL! Exactly my point. I posted my "modest proposal" since it occurred to me that were the polygraph so accurate there would be little resistance to this. After all, unions protect their members but even they draw the line at felons. After all, I wasn't proposing they be summarily fired upon a DI. Just that it would be cause for a detailed investigation. One thing the poly does is provide a rationale for an agency to occasionally ask, eyeball to eyeball: "by the way, are you a spy, thief, ...?" This would be nearly impossible to do with fellow workers without some sort of excuse and prop. The poly provides that prop, at least is some areas of federal employment.

One purpose of unions is generally to impede the flow of new workers into the work force to improve bargaining. A high failure rate in poly (and other) new hire screening provides just that.

-Marty

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2003 at 10:23pm
Very true. So do you think the pro-poly folks on this board will weigh in with an opinion Undecided

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Saidme
Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2003 at 6:37pm
I know this has been on here a few days but just got the opportunity to see it.

Marty your questions are a bit flawed.  Officers may have testified falsely in the past but it would be difficult to determine if their testimony alone gained a conviction.  We would need to query the juries to determine the veracity the officer's testimony played in the conviction.  I've seen cases where the jury did not particularly care for the officers involved, yet a conviction was obtained.  I've also seen it go the other way, where the officer's had substantial credibility and still the jury acquitted.

Also, why would you want to polygraph them on just whether or not they falsely testified to gain a conviction?  Wouldn't it be more prudent to ask them if they've ever falsely testified?

Regarding your statement:  One purpose of unions is generally to impede the flow of new workers into the work force to improve bargaining. A high failure rate in poly (and other) new hire screening provides just that. 

That's an interesting (and telling) perspective.  If I'm interpreting this correctly, you're proposing that polygraph is a tool to increase pay and benefits at the expense of applicants?  You've reached new heights.

Wink

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2003 at 7:00pm
Saidme wrote on Oct 1st, 2003 at 6:37pm:
I know this has been on here a few days but just got the opportunity to see it.

Marty your questions are a bit flawed.  Officers may have testified falsely in the past but it would be difficult to determine if their testimony alone gained a conviction.  We would need to query the juries to determine the veracity the officer's testimony played in the conviction.  I've seen cases where the jury did not particularly care for the officers involved, yet a conviction was obtained.  I've also seen it go the other way, where the officer's had substantial credibility and still the jury acquitted.

Also, why would you want to polygraph them on just whether or not they falsely testified to gain a conviction?  Wouldn't it be more prudent to ask them if they've ever falsely testified?

You are absolutely right about that saidme.

Quote:
Regarding your statement:  One purpose of unions is generally to impede the flow of new workers into the work force to improve bargaining. A high failure rate in poly (and other) new hire screening provides just that. 

That's an interesting (and telling) perspective.  If I'm interpreting this correctly, you're proposing that polygraph is a tool to increase pay and benefits at the expense of applicants?  You've reached new heights.

No, such things are not explicitly intended, that's not the way it works. Still, all professions, trades, and businesses, for that matter, tend to nurture barriors to entry. Hell, even PhD's often refer to their degree as a "union card". What I am suggesting is that widespread pre employment screening is accepted by unions where post employement screening is strongly opposed. A high DQ rate in pre-employment screening may be seen as "unfair" by some but won't get unions excited, in LE, or any other industry.

-Marty

IP Logged

A Modest Proposal

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X