Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) hey (Read 24795 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: hey
Reply #30 - Aug 27th, 2003 at 12:01pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Guest,

Your contribution to this discussion is welcome. You might consider registering on the message board so that your posts will not be confused with those of others. (Registration will also enable you to edit your posts and to exchange private messages with other registered users.)

I would very much like to believe that an examinee's admission to knowing about "the lie behind the lie detector" would never be used against an applicant for employment, but the feedback we have received from those who have adopted the "complete honesty" approach is not encouraging. Neither is the polygraph community's failure to articulate how polygraphers should handle informed sources.

The NSA's polygraph regulation and associated documentation, which we obtained under the Freedom of Information Act, makes no mention of how NSA polygraphers are to handle informed subjects. If you are in a position to know, perhaps you could tell us how NSA polygaphers handle those subjects who admit to knowing that polygraphy is a pseudoscientific sham?

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Guest

Reply #31 - Aug 27th, 2003 at 3:00pm
I am not in the know regarding their procedures.  My status as an examiner is "inactive".  Thanks for the invite.  I will consider a more perminant registration.

Quote:
You can only suspect someone is using countermeasures; you have no definitive method of determining it otherwise, short of a confession from the examinee.

Beleive what you want Mr. Truth.  Since I know everyone will ask, I will answer now.  I am not inclined to discuss how.  What would be the benefit to polygraph by providing such information to the nice folks here?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box s-X-e
User

Reply #32 - Aug 27th, 2003 at 5:44pm
Quote:
I am not inclined to discuss how.  What would be the benefit to polygraph by providing such information to the nice folks here?

Credibility?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Reply #33 - Aug 27th, 2003 at 8:07pm
Quote:
Credibility?   

Plenty.  Do you need any? 8)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #34 - Aug 27th, 2003 at 8:17pm
Guest,

The National Academy of Sciences did not find the polygraph community's claimed ability to detect countermeasures to be credible. Why should we?

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Reply #35 - Aug 27th, 2003 at 10:28pm
I would not try and convince anyone here, especially you, that everyone in polygraph can detect CMs.  Obviously some of the folks here have claimed to use them successfully, any proof of that?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box s-X-e
User

Reply #36 - Aug 27th, 2003 at 11:55pm
Quote:
I would not try and convince anyone here, especially you, that everyone in polygraph can detect CMs.  Obviously some of the folks here have claimed to use them successfully, any proof of that?

It would appear Antipolygraph.org is more than willing to back up its faith in countermeasures. I understand you're new to this site so you might not have noticed it yet, but Dr. Richardson has setup a challenge (on the main page) to the polygraph community that hopes to prove that countermeasures are not detectable. Furthermore, I believe it's fair to say that the burden of proof now rests on the polygraph community to present evidence that countermeasures are detectable, and not ap.org to prove that they aren't, since this site has provided research to support its claim (i.e. studies by Dr Honts) and is willing to demonstrate the veracity of that claim through Dr. Richardson's challenge. 

Members of the polygraph community, on the other hand, have provided absolutely no evidence to support their claims other than "just take our word for it."

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anonymous

Reply #37 - Aug 28th, 2003 at 12:22am
If you make any damming admissions,  be aware that
they will be sent to DIS for your final Top Secret 
determination, but of course, they won't tell you that.
They may tell you that they are your friend, unified
against the agency, or they will play the SOB role.  The
agency must attract people with secretive backgrounds,
so this unhealthy cycle is just perpetuated, and is what
those applicants are used to.  This is the unhealthy 
cycle of typical abusers (e.g., spousal/child abusers).
At least for the DSS/DoD clearances, there are a number
of steps, plus appeals, that the clearance determination
can go through, but for the SI part, there is never any
explanation, just dead silence.  For the DSS/DoD 
clearances, the investigators never hound, or lie,
to you, and it is ALWAYS best to be honest with them
(if not, they will get you on personal conduct).  For the
SI clearance, you have someone who is deceptive and
hostile, so it makes you wonder about working for a 
place like that...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous :)

Reply #38 - Aug 28th, 2003 at 12:45am
I'm sure everything will work out.  I will be sure to let you know how I do on the test.  If they know I posted here well good for them.  I'm a reliable American and only took this job to help my Country.  If things don't go well I will just find a different job which doesn't have as much benefit for my Country.

Thanks for the information, you did scare me a bit about the polygraph but now I just don't care.  I am just going to go in and give them the answers to the questions they ask.  If they ask me how much I know about polygraphs I will let them know i've been to a few websites about polygraph tests but never really got in to reading in detail about them.  If they ask which websites I will tell them i've been to all the websites which came up on google.com.  If they have a problem with me searching the web then the job wasn't right for me in the first place.  Also if the person thats going to do me reads this well i'd like to say hey, ill see you soon.. Smiley

I have stopped reading information about polygraphs except for this thread and some of the for-polygraph websites.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #39 - Aug 28th, 2003 at 1:24am
Anonymous Smiley
Quote:
Also if the person thats going to do me reads this well i'd like to say hey, ill see you soon..

Of course if the examiner reads your posts here and informs you that visiting this site is a sign of "questionable" moral character, you can always ask him "Well, what were YOU doing there??? Wink

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Truth
Very Senior User

Reply #40 - Aug 28th, 2003 at 1:50am
Reminds of that cartoon where people are exiting an x-rated movie, and a man is embarrassed to be seen by someone he knows, so he says:

"I don't watch these things myself; I'm looking at who else is here watching this stuff."

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Human Subject
Senior User

Reply #41 - Aug 28th, 2003 at 11:31pm
Am I the only person who smells something fishy about this whole thread?

Let me put it this way -- I'll be shocked if "Anonymous Smiley" DOESN'T report passing his exam with flying colors, and will reiterate his faith that people with nothing to hide have nothing to fear from the polygraph.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Human Subject
Senior User

Reply #42 - Aug 28th, 2003 at 11:39pm
Quote:
Look I just don't want to cheat on this test.  Does it make me a better man to cheat on this polygraph?  If I got caught, wouldn't I fail?  The reason I post is not to start a debate on polygraph tests but to see what feedback I can get from you guys.  I want to hear more of Guests point of view.  Do you think I should let go and let God or cheat the machine as im telling the truth with the way I breath (and let God help me a bit too Smiley).

This quote is especially odd.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Elmo

Reply #43 - Aug 29th, 2003 at 5:15am
I talked to a friend of a friend and he said no one that fits this description of anonymous is even taking a test.  Hes prolly just a examiner which is trying to get the people who visit this post to think twice about antipolygraph.org. This is just what I heard and might not be 100% accurate but im just giving you a heads up.. I'd ban his ip or something

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box jonnlaw

Reply #44 - Aug 29th, 2003 at 5:41am
He has something to hide, else he would not be here.  After all they call it a "lie " detector, not truth detector.

In any case, if he passes, he's using some knowledge gained here.

Jonnlaw

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
hey

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X