Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) hey (Read 24789 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous! :)

hey
Aug 25th, 2003 at 8:12am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I am working on getting my Top Secret Clearance for a programmer position from a contractor company for the Government.  I now have an interim top secret clearance and to get full TS clearance I need to pass a polygraph test. The test is scheduled for September 12th at the NSA.  What should I expect from this type of polygraph test?  This is how I decided I am going to aproach my test:

Going to be completely honest.  I am 19 years old but I have not done anything such as drugs in my life.  I will admit that I am a liar because everyone lies in childhood.  I will admit that i've cheated in school specially in my younger days.  I have stole a candy bar or two in my younger days.  All this I will admit.

Not going to do any breathing exercises.  I am going to go in without knowing what breathing pattern I should have to pass the test.  I will just late nature run its course.

Is this polygraph as bad as others or a bit easier specially since im younger?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Guest

Re: hey
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2003 at 7:11pm
The people on this site will tell you that you are being foolish.  They will likely tell you not to admit to anything, although I hardly think the NSA would be concerned about the things you previously described.  They will advise you to learn and use countermeasures for your bennefit.  I am a proponent of polygraph testing and advise you to follow the directions of your examiner.

Before you take your exam, be sure you are clear about anything you know would exclude you from employment, such as recent drug use or criminal activity.  In your posting you said: "All this I will admit."  This may indicate there are things you will not admit.  This is what will create problems for you.  If you lie, withhold, or omit pertinant information, you will be setting yourself up for more problems and extended testing, maybe even disqualification.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Truth
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2003 at 7:25pm
Quote:
The people on this site will tell you that you are being foolish.

Yes, you are foolish if you think the polygraph can detect lies (or the truth). The only lie the polygraph can detect is if you are lying about just having had an orgasm during the test.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2003 at 8:07pm
I'm going to be completely honest about everything and see how it goes.  I don't think I need to trick the system to pass because I really have anything that is worth hiding Tongue

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2003 at 8:10pm
really *dont* have anything worth hiding, sorry typoed

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #5 - Aug 25th, 2003 at 8:28pm
Quote:
I'm going to be completely honest about everything and see how it goes.  I don't think I need to trick the system to pass because I really don't have anything that is worth hiding Tongue

Well, lots of other people didn't have anything to hide and wound up failing. You must not have read any/many personal testimonials about false positives. But what the heck, good luck. 

On the other hand, if your intent is to be honest (which is good, good for you), what are you doing here on this website?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Human Subject
Senior User

Reply #6 - Aug 26th, 2003 at 2:08am
Quote:
I'm going to be completely honest about everything and see how it goes.  I don't think I need to trick the system to pass because I really have anything that is worth hiding Tongue

So you think every person who has been accused of lying about a relevant question during a polygraph examination and was disqualified really was lying?

I think if you stick with your stated strategy (which I'll admit is the same approach I unsuccessfully adopted), there is a nontrivial probability you'll learn the hard way that your reasoning is incorrect.

Even so, good luck to you.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box aldo_huxley
User

Reply #7 - Aug 26th, 2003 at 2:24am
Anon, please update us as to the results of your test. When is it anyway? This site needs real time feed back from people who go into the test with a basic approach. That is "I'm going in with intent to tell no lies as I have not done anything" ,  "I'm not goint in to lie but will use CM's" and finally7, "I'm going to lie cause I something and want to hide it".

Thanks,

Aldo

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Aug 26th, 2003 at 5:42am
I'm on this website because I was searching the word polygraph and NSA polygraph on google.com and found this website.  Look I just don't want to cheat on this test.  Does it make me a better man to cheat on this polygraph?  If I got caught, wouldn't I fail?  The reason I post is not to start a debate on polygraph tests but to see what feedback I can get from you guys.  I want to hear more of Guests point of view.  Do you think I should let go and let God or cheat the machine as im telling the truth with the way I breath (and let God help me a bit too Smiley).  I read the book and understand everything about the control questions that will be asked and how to answer things.  I should refer back to my childhood and stuff.  I have read about people who have taking them but some reason  I don't quite feel moraly right to just trick the system.  I might do it I just want to know the following:

1.) Since im not going to be working directly with any agency but through a contractor will they go easier on me?  Will they even look at my breathing etc. as much or will they just size me up during the interviews?

2.) Is it easier to pass if your younger?

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Aug 26th, 2003 at 6:06am
"1.) Since im not going to be working directly with any agency but through a contractor will they go easier on me?  Will they even look at my breathing etc. as much or will they just size me up during the interviews? 

2.) Is it easier to pass if your younger? "

They will not be any "easier" on you and age does not play a factor in your ability to pass or fail.  You have heard from a few here.  I found Mr. Truth's comment interesting:

"On the other hand, if your intent is to be honest (which is good, good for you), what are you doing here on this website"  Is Mr. Truth suggesting the people on this site are less than honest?

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Aug 26th, 2003 at 6:10am
Sorry Anomynous I didn't answer your question.  Listen to your examiner and relax.  If you have any issues with a particular relevant question, let your examiner know before testing begins.  Otherwise do as your instructed.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #11 - Aug 26th, 2003 at 6:20am
Yes, you can trust your polygrapher. If you are honest, there is absolutely no way you'll be scored deceptive.

If you believe that, you are a fool.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #12 - Aug 26th, 2003 at 3:45pm
Anonymous,

Be aware that polygraph examiners from various agencies follow the discussions on this message board. Assuming that you really are a 19-year-old programmer whose polygraph examination is scheduled for 12 September, you have in all likelihood posted enough information about yourself that the NSA polygraph unit will have identified you.

You have no reasonable expectation of anonymity anymore and have left yourself little choice but to adopt the "complete honesty" approach suggested in Chapter 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

If you have read The Lie Behind the Lie Detector carefully, you know that the NSA primarily uses the relevent/irrelevant technique for screening purposes. This technique has no validity as a test of truth versus deception; it is merely a fishing expedition for damaging admissions. As we note in the 3rd edition of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, NSA applicants are frequently accused of deception and subjected to as many as three (or even more) polygraph examinations.

I don't know to what extent your age might be a factor in the outcome of your NSA polygraph examination(s), but note that recently, a high school student who had applied for a work-study program was accused of deception multiple times and scheduled for a fourth polygraph session, so youth is not necessarily an advantage.

Good luck on the 12th. It is to be hoped that the NSA polygraph unit will not fail you out of spite for having educated yourself about polygraphy.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Canadian Crusader
Senior User

Reply #13 - Aug 26th, 2003 at 4:59pm
I suggest you go over to the "polygraphplace" website if all you want to listen to is Guest.

Good luck.  Like George said you are probably already nailed by your polygrapher.   Adopt the complete honesty approach or learn CM's.  You are going to need them.  Your polygrapher will likely DQ you just for being here on this site.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #14 - Aug 26th, 2003 at 6:48pm
Quote:
Is Mr. Truth suggesting the people on this site are less than honest?

Gentle Reader,

No, Mr. Truth is by no means suggesting users of this site are less than honest. Sometimes we do not foresee the consequences of our actions:

Quote:
Be aware that polygraph examiners from various agencies follow the discussions on this message board. Assuming that you really are a 19-year-old programmer whose polygraph examination is scheduled for 12 September, you have in all likelihood posted enough information about yourself that the NSA polygraph unit will have identified you. 

IP Logged

hey

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X