Normal Topic What can I do to fight the polygraph? (Read 3628 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box OkieBoy
User

What can I do to fight the polygraph?
Aug 17th, 2003 at 6:41am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Seriously.
I am the survivor of three years probation in a county that forced us to take Polygraphs every six months.
I learned what quackery the polygraph was and used the "sting" method to beat it every time.
What can I do now that I am off probation to fight the polygraph?
Should I reveal what bullshit it is to my former probation officer and therapist?
Should I reveal it to the news?
Should I write a book?
Who can I tell, what can I do?
I feel that I have this valid experience that proves what pseude-science the polygraph is, what can I do with this experience?
Can I help others somehow?
-Okieboy

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Saidme
Especially Senior User

Re: What can I do to fight the polygraph?
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2003 at 5:59pm
Okieboy

Sounds like your rehabilitation has gone swimmingly.  I get goose bumps just reading your noble post.

IP Logged

User

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2003 at 9:56pm
Saidme,
You seem like a pretty intelligent guy, so why can't you get it?  My probation's purpose wasn't to indoctrinate me into the cult of the polygraph and make me a life-long believer in the pseudo-science of it.
My probation's purpose was to teach me about my deviant cycle of behavior and to know when I am slipping into despair so that I can recognize those thinking distortions and use friends and family to talk about it and get back on the right path.  When Cognitive Behavorial Psychology was being groundworked by the great psychologists of our time, they had no idea that the quackery of the polygraph would eventually be incorporated into their therapy ideas by local law enforcement and probation and parole.  They are probably rolling in their graves at the injustice being done to their field of psychology.   
Answer me this one question Saidme.
Why is it that the top scientific and psychological minds in our country have stated in the American Psychological Association's Review, that polygraph testing is at best "psuedo-science"?
Does that not tell you something?
Do you even believe in science?
Just tell me if you are some new-age, mystic, chi-slinging wannabe and that will explain it.  At least then I will be able to comprehend why you don't believe in science.
But anyway, I do believe in my heart that you have the intelligence to seperate the actual success of my therapy and my recognition as the polygraph as junk science.  One has nothing to do with the other.

-Okieboy

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Truth
Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2003 at 11:40pm
That was the point I was trying to make when you called me a monster.

IP Logged

User

Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2003 at 6:20am
Dude...you admitted to molesting your daughter openly and freely of your will with no influence of drugs or drink.  What do you want me to call you?  Just a good guy who made a bad mistake?  I would only be encouraging you in distorted thinking if I told you so. 
You will be a monster, until you can prove through years and years of intense therapy, legal restitution, not re-offending, and by showing you are able to supress your inner monster (i.e. the cognitively distorted thinking part of yourself) and let the superior nature and goodness in you take over ( the cognitively rational part of you).

-Okieboy

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Truth
Very Senior User

Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2003 at 7:02am
All I have to say to that is this:

But anyway, I do believe in my heart that you have the intelligence to seperate the actual success of my therapy and my recognition as the polygraph as junk science.  One has nothing to do with the other. 

Except, I would spell separate correctly. But that's besides the point. If the test is wrong, it is wrong for all.

IP Logged

User

Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2003 at 10:07am
Mr. Truth,
Too bad you can never teach spelling in school.
Maybe you could get your phd and try to teach on a collegiate level.  I once had a professor of philosopy who was a convicted sex offender.  The man was so intelligent no one cared that he had once had sex with a fifteen year old. 
When it comes to the polygraph, I think I can agree with you.
It seems that with the more intelligent child molesters, like yourself, that the realization that the polygraph is junk science can be more of a hindrance to your therapy than help.  In fact I know it is.  How can you ever respect and learn from a therapist who is taking advantage of you with the polygraph?  I myself thought the same thing at first, but then realized the validity of Cognitive Behavorial Psychology and was able to look beyond the polygraph and learn from my therapist.
Someday I might write him a nice little letter telling him in detail how I beat the polygraph, just to hear his reaction.
-Okieboy

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Saidme
Especially Senior User

Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2003 at 1:40pm
George/Gino

Couldn't resist.  You guys must be proud to see these posts.

IP Logged

What can I do to fight the polygraph?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X