Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Pre-employment test (Read 11215 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Zurren
New User

Pre-employment test
Aug 11th, 2003 at 6:43pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I recently took a pre-employment polygraph test for a local law enforcement agency.  I was found deceptive on certain questions.  The paleographer told me at the beginning of the session that if I were deceptive I would fail.  There was no second chances or anything.  However, I have been rescheduled for another test because I was deceptive.  I have also had a high ranking individual involved in a totally different section of the agency tell me to just come out and tell all.  This individual sat there and related to me about the similar branch of military we were in, similar problems we had, and was just my buddy for the conversation.  Now in "the lie behind the lie detector" this seems to fit (as far as the trying to get a confession) in except the part with the individual not involved with the test at all.   

And any info I volunteer on the pre test questions is the same as a confession, correct?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Pre-employment test
Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2003 at 7:52am
Quote:
And any info I volunteer on the pre test questions is the same as a confession, correct?

It's normal for people to make minor admissions to the "control" questions during the "pre-test" phase of a polygraph examination, for example, to having taken small amounts of office supplies home from work, or to having lied to loved ones on certain occasions. But such admissions are not likely to be disqualifying.

On the other hand, changing answers to relevant questions after the "pre-test" phase may well result in disqualification. For example, if one has stated that one smoked marijuana three times and then changes one's answer to "less than ten" times, that may be taken as an indication of dishonesty and used as grounds for disqualification.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2003 at 12:14pm
Quote:
On the other hand, changing answers to relevant questions after the "pre-test" phase may well result in disqualification. For example, if one has stated that one smoked marijuana three times and then changes one's answer to "less than ten" times, that may be taken as an indication of dishonesty and used as grounds for disqualification.

Furthermore, if you filled out information regarding your drug history on a written application, such an admission even during the pre-test phase may be considered an admission to falsifying your application.

My advice is to be truthful to a potential employer from the first time you are asked about something. Once you have told them the truth, do not deviate from it no matter how much pressure they put on you.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2003 at 5:03pm
When I practice these countermeasures (breathing, puckering, bad thoughts and tounge biting) I almost get a chill down my spin.  Is this normal?

Now that I think of it,  it's almost like I'm beginning to panic.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box guest

Reply #4 - Aug 12th, 2003 at 5:29pm
You are experiencing emotional symptomatic responses to the physical act you are initiating.

Physical responses and emotional triggers to those responses are a two-way street. In other words, the 'Fight or Flight' response can be initiated by visual cues or by intentional mimicing of the physical manifestations of the response. In other words, 'sadness' can be felt by tightening the diaphragm, decreasing the depth of your breathing and increasing the rapidity of breaths, and 'stuttering' or catching your breath on the exhalation just like when you were a child and you were trying to stop crying.

So, whatever you're doing physically as you are practicing your countermeasures is dredging up some sort of symptomatic responses that are 'running chills' up and down your spine.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Saidme
Especially Senior User

Reply #5 - Aug 12th, 2003 at 7:36pm
Zurren

It's because you are beginning to panic.  If you plan on lying to the relevant questions on the test, your physiological responses will far out weigh anything you do CM wise.  Fear of detection will kick in.  If you think you're experiencing panic now, wait until you're attached to the polygraph components. Wink

IP Logged

New User

Reply #6 - Aug 12th, 2003 at 8:17pm
OK.
I just got back from the test.  I passed.  The tester was kind of surprised that I gave all the same answers on this pre-test questions as the last one and passed.  He asked if I was thinking of something the last time that made me nervous.  In fact there were a few things I felt might have been contradictory of what I read in the book.  When I got in his offices (cluttered with investigation work and stuff on every inch of the wall) he sat down and said "check it out dude.  John Dow is really pushing to get you hired.  Tell me the last year you have ever used any drug and we will fix the days and go off that."  Instead however, I decided to go with the stuff I read and stick with my story just in case it was a set up.  I used the countermeasures exactly how I read them and passed.   This agency is also known as a "back woods hillbilly" place so maybe they are not as professional as explained in the book.

Any ways, I am a total believer in this book.  I see how the polygraphs are unreliable now. The book was also interesting reading.  I will tell friends and family about this site.

Oh and I need to get this off my chest.  I only lied about some minor drug use I did about 10 years ago.  I already put it on my application and didn't want to get denied for changing my story later.  So this site didn't help some murderer or crazy person pass a poly  Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Canadian Crusader
Senior User

Reply #7 - Aug 12th, 2003 at 11:35pm
LOL saidme you really are a character aren't you?

The feelings Zurren was experiencing was a fight between the truth fairy and her evil brother the deception orge taking place within the base of his brain.  The tingling down his spine occured when ever the truth fairy's wand scratched his spinal cord.

Panic??  What are you talking about?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #8 - Aug 12th, 2003 at 11:53pm
Saidme wrote on Aug 12th, 2003 at 7:36pm:
Zurren

It's because you are beginning to panic.  If you plan on lying to the relevant questions on the test, your physiological responses will far out weigh anything you do CM wise.  Fear of detection will kick in.  If you think you're experiencing panic now, wait until you're attached to the polygraph components. Wink

So, will Saidme now publicly admit he was wrong and retract his statement?

Doesn't really matter, of course -- it was only a rather poor attempt at suggestion, anyway, and the facts just aren't on his side.  Still, it would be nice to see him admit his prediction was evidently very wrong.

Skeptic

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #9 - Aug 13th, 2003 at 1:46am
Skeptic/CC

Wow, my whole life's been transformed by this revelation.  Maybe I'll just put my black box and snake oil away and join you and George and Gino and Drew.  Sounds like a hell of a good time.  NOT!  I do have a question for Z.  Why would you want to work for a place that's known as a "backwards hillbilly" place?  Hmmm. Wink

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #10 - Aug 13th, 2003 at 2:02am
Saidme wrote on Aug 13th, 2003 at 1:46am:
Skeptic/CC

Wow, my whole life's been transformed by this revelation.  Maybe I'll just put my black box and snake oil away and join you and George and Gino and Drew.  Sounds like a hell of a good time.  NOT!  I do have a question for Z.  Why would you want to work for a place that's known as a "backwards hillbilly" place?  Hmmm. Wink

A simple acknowledgement that you were wrong in your prediction regarding countermeasure efficacy would suffice, Saidme.  But as I said, it's hardly necessary, as the accuracy of your confident, expert prediction is now obvious.

Perhaps detecting countermeasures isn't quite as easy as Saidme likes to assert...

Skeptic

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #11 - Aug 13th, 2003 at 2:11am
Much like my credentials are questioned, I question the timing as well as the source of this and other sources.  I think I read a post Batman put on here once where he suspected George (or one of the other anti folks) of having multiple handles.  I think the caped crusader was on to something.  Regarding my view on CM's?  Like a rock baby! Cheesy

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #12 - Aug 13th, 2003 at 2:12am
George

Where is my 5th star.  You don't think I play these games for free do you? Wink

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #13 - Aug 13th, 2003 at 2:30am
Saidme wrote on Aug 13th, 2003 at 2:11am:
Much like my credentials are questioned, I question the timing as well as the source of this and other sources.

Of course you do.  Unfortunately for your analogy, it is a documented, scientific fact that countermeasures can influence the results of polygraph "tests".  We have no such information regarding your credentials, though you'll note that, for the most part, I've avoided making an issue out of it, as it simply doesn't matter much.

It's true that one simply can't know, on a site such as this that allows anonymous posting, the truthfulness of any claim made in absence of corroborating evidence.  That is why it is so important to take claims such as Saidme's regarding the ability to detect countermeasures with a grain of salt.

It really doesn't matter whether "Zurren"'s being truthful or not.  What matters is that the science says the polygraph is not reliable enough for the uses to which it's put, and that polygraphers (despite having been challenged to do so) have not demonstrated an ability to detect countermeasures above chance.  Thus, for the record, I find "Zurren"'s statement completely in line with the facts of the matter, Saidme's confident (and self-serving) assertion of true faith notwithstanding.

Skeptic

P.S. five stars after 251 postings, IIRC.  It might have been 300 or 350, though...

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #14 - Aug 13th, 2003 at 2:46am
Skeptic

You stand corrected on a couple of comments:

First let's take your CM statement.  I have no doubt CM's can cause physiological changes during the course of a polygraph examination.  My contention is that a competent examiner can and will detect CM's (turn off the clock Drew).  We (polygraph examiners) have and continue to demonstrate it regularly.  I know Drew would like a little lab coat and white room to do his test but face reality, the important work is in the field.

Regarding specific issue testing (which is what I do).  Your coveted NAS study (which I have no regard for) states something to the effect that specific issue testing is "far above chance" but less than perfect.  Is far above chance 90%, 95%, 98%.   I think I would take any one of those numbers to the bank.  Let's even concede 85%, still pretty damn good.   

Let me caveat this next statement so your co-horts don't take this out of context.  The most recent (and more recent) shuttle disasters were horrendous.  America lost a lot of great astronauts in both instances.  The shuttle and the technology driving those shuttles is awesome.  The people working on them are extraordinarily bright.  Were the shuttles 100%?  Obviously not.  Would I volunteer to ride the next shuttle to space?  In a heartbeat.  Anytime you factor in the human element you've got room for error.  Polygraph is no different.  It's pretty damn good but face it, nothing's perfect.

I guess my long winded point really takes a jab at the scientific community.  They of all people should know that nothing is 100%.  Unfortunately you get whiners like George who claimed to have been wronged.  And none of us truly know why George failed his  polygraph, do we? Wink

IP Logged

Pre-employment test

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X