Normal Topic question on internships and volunteering (Read 2563 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box tino

question on internships and volunteering
Aug 10th, 2003 at 4:23am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
i would like to know if people on the board usually put down there college intermship on a police application as a job they had regardless if it relates or does not relate to lawenforcement. I personally would like to put mine down because i got an A and was doing a good job, my supervisor asked if i ever needed a refrence to let her know. i also volunteered in highschool for the school guidance counslor for a little over a year. does this count as volunteering work at all. i personally believe if i put this down i can still get a good refrence. the reason i posted was because one agency asks for the info while another does not ask for it on the application.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fred F.
Very Senior User

Get Educated.... Knowledge
is Power

Re: question on internships and volunteering
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2003 at 4:38am
Tino,

Documenting your volunteer and intership work is a postive item on your application. Most people who do volunteer work continue to do so unless unforseen circumstances arise. 

In LE, this shows maturity, a willingness to be involved even without compensation, and postive attitude towards the public. You cannot go wrong by adding this information to your application.

Your high school work as a peer counselor is a big plus as well. Not many kids in high school will give up time to help their classmates.   

Keep up the good work and GOOD LUCK

Fred F. Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box tino

Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2003 at 5:11am
Actually i was not a peer counselor, i was working for the guidance counselor doing things such as organizing folders, getting mail, and getting students she needed.
at the internship i was working at the empire state building for a company called city guide magazine working with the companys contracts. since i was liked by both places i might as well put it down because i know i will get a good reference.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fred F.
Very Senior User

Get Educated.... Knowledge
is Power

Reply #3 - Aug 11th, 2003 at 3:42am
Tino, 

Don't  sell yourself short you said

Quote:
i was working for the guidance counselor doing things such as organizing folders, getting mail, and getting students she needed.
.  You must make everything you do very POSITIVE. You got the students to come to the guidance counsleor, that  is peer counseling. Your giuidance counselor trusted you to bring in students to their office for a reason. Many kids don't trust adults, but can be eased by peers. Did you have to "push" these students to come to the office?  Accentuate everything for what  results came out of it.

Good Luck

Fred F. Wink

IP Logged

question on internships and volunteering

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X