Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) A Case for Concealed Information Testing (Read 13303 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

A Case for Concealed Information Testing
Aug 6th, 2003 at 6:30pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Because it is now a public matter (judicial hearing and accompanying media coverage, http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/133783_znetix06.html) I feel that I can comment on the captioned matter, one that I recently provided expert testimony regarding.  My testimony related to an analysis of a Probable Lie Control Question Test (PLCQT) performed by an FBI agent polygraph examiner.  In addition to that which I have frequently and generally said in criticism of the CQT, I specifically questioned the emotional affect that would be contained in relevant questions that were posed to an examinee not regarding his activities or planned activities but those of others.  Apparently the presiding judge agreed that this was no valid assessment of the facts involved—independent of whatever those facts might happen to be… 

And now for the reason for this post-hearing commentary (not really the case at hand)…   I believe that there was a reasonable way for the polygraph examiner involved (at no time did I question his competence as a polygraph operator nor his credentials as a law enforcement officer, interviewer, interrogator, or criminal investigator) to have conducted a meaningful and diagnostically sound polygraph examination.  Although the defense in this case may not have agreed (I don’t know what leverage the government had in this matter), this was an ideal case to at least very seriously consider a concealed information test (could have been done by the examiner who conducted the CQT utilizing the instrument he employed).  The allegation coming from the ultimate CQT examinee and accuser was that two other gentlemen had conspired to murder an FBI agent (obviously a matter of legitimate concern for the Bureau and which sound judgment would require serious inquiry and some resolution).   The information made available to the Bureau was allegedly provided by the accuser’s attorney and directly to the Bureau.  The allegation would of necessity contained details of the when, how, where, and the what of this plan to commit murder and the associated conspiracy as well as the specific details of how this matter was presented by the alleged co-conspirators to their soon-to-be accuser.  This was current information and information that could be easily be protected from dissemination (to either the public or the two incarcerated defendants (defendants in a separate financial crime(s) matter).  This would have been an ideal situation to perform a concealed information test (guilty knowledge test) on one or both of the incarcerated gentlemen.  Again, I realize that this may not have been agreed to by the defense, but I do believe it was an option that was apparently not pursued and one that should have been vigorously pursued.  

This may well be an opportunity lost and representative of many similar opportunities…and one that, had it been taken advantage of (a concealed information test performed), I would gladly have supported through testimony as opposed to the testimony I offered critical of the CQT that was performed.  I am convinced (albeit not being familiar with him nor the specifics of that which led to the examination performed in this case) that the examiner involved was likely following Bureau procedure in conducting such an exam and likely conducted it in accordance with generally accepted standards.  It is for that reason (an accepted industry and agency procedure which is so short-sighted and bereft of diagnostic power) that I do this little bit of writing.  I would like to think that the Bureau (and representatives of other agencies who read this) would fully avail themselves of the tools they already possess.  You might notice that, although I represent Brain Fingerprinting Laboratories, and do believe that Brain Fingerprinting would also have been a reasonable consideration in this matter, that I have specifically said that the Bureau might well have pursued the matter absent Brain Fingerprinting (and/or other new technology) utilizing the tools and personnel that it already possesses.
« Last Edit: Aug 6th, 2003 at 8:44pm by Drew Richardson »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Re: A Case for Concealed Information Testing
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2003 at 11:33pm
Drew,
Does look like the CIT would have worked better.

Since you're here, there is another thread wherein a polygrapher has questioned why some of us support the CIT/GKT but not the CQT, since they both measure the same physiological responses. He implies that we are contradictory in supporting one and not the other.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the CIT/GKT simply measure responses to information, be it photos, sounds or incident - specific facts. No inference is made to the examinee "lying" or "telling the truth" in the test, unlike the CQT, wherein a specific "spike" means "lie" no matter what.
The utility of the CIT/GKT is derived from the fact that a person who is simply nervous or apprehensive would react the same to an entire series of photos, without having a stronger reaction to the "relevant" photo.
Just wondering if I'm getting this right in my own mind. Am I headed in the right direction?

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Public Servant
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2003 at 11:59am
Drew,

I have to say I am a bit disconcerted about this whole thing.

First of all, when it comes to corroborating the testimony of the accuser (PARK), I don't see where a GKT could have worked (he was the only source of case info).  The Bureau used the only tool left (CQT) to corroborate (or refute) a very serious accusation.

In regard to the examination (by GKT) of the accused:  you, yourself, stated the main obstacle -- the defense attorneys would not have agreed to it.  Perhaps there was good reason not to agree to it.

Here would be the other problem to using GKT:  The specific facts would be based on testimony of Park.  It would be based on his memory.  Details (times, dates, etc) might not have been given in his presence.  If they were, they would be based on his memory (I doubt he was in his cell taking notes in the accused's presence).  So the keys produced might differ in the memory of the accused from those given by Park, thus rendering the test invalid (possible false negative).  

GKT is much more reliable with concrete facts (testimony is rarely completely concrete) that the perpetrator would definitely recall from the offense.  Crime scene characteristics are much better than things said and remembered. 

The most important fact in this case was whether the suspects did or did not conspire to murder federal agents.  Other details were not important, yet in the GKT you propose, testimonial error could have used details to to produce a false negative.  A moot point however, since the defense likely was not going to allow the exam.

Drew, I admire your work in CNS technology, but this apparent pandering to defense attorneys (I assume you were paid for your work for the defense) is troubling.  You must be quite popular with your former Bureau colleagues (no longer limited to examiners).  Please stick to constructive research.  

I hope these persons don't carry out a plan to murder LE agents.  Would you blame polygraph or the bureau if they do?!!
« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2003 at 2:49pm by Public Servant »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Reply #3 - Aug 7th, 2003 at 4:19pm
Quote:
Drew,

I have to say I am a bit disconcerted about this whole thing.

First of all, when it comes to corroborating the testimony of the accuser (PARK), I don't see where a GKT could have worked (he was the only source of case info).  The Bureau used the only tool left (CQT) to corroborate (or refute) a very serious accusation.

This after you've posted:

"1.) I have little experience in utilizing the GKT. "

Quote:
Drew, I admire your work in CNS technology, but this apparent pandering to defense attorneys (I assume you were paid for your work for the defense) is troubling.

So now you have a problem with expert defense witnesses. Any other part of the Constitution you'd care to condemn?

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

I haveRe: A Case for Concealed Information Testing
Reply #4 - Aug 7th, 2003 at 7:57pm
Public Servant,

Nice to see you as always,

You write:

Quote:
...I have to say I am a bit disconcerted about this whole thing....

As well you and others should be who seek to utilize purported diagnostic tools (e.g., CQT exams) lacking diagnostic validity (I acknowledge some (although an unknown) degree of utility in those cases resulting in admissions and/or confessions which can be independently corroborated) ...

You further write:

Quote:
...The Bureau used the only tool left (CQT) to corroborate (or refute) a very serious accusation....

This is kind of like saying if you have a job that requires a wrench and all you have is a screwdriver with you, go ahead and use the screwdriver...I don't think so....and continuing with my analogy, I believe the apparent lack of effort in pursuing (including requesting such of the defense) the much preferable GKT is analogous to not really looking for the right tool in the first place...

You further write:

Quote:
...The specific facts would be based on testimony of Park.  It would be based on his memory.  Details (times, dates, etc) might not have been given in his presence.  If they were, they would be based on his memory (I doubt he was in his cell taking notes in the accused's presence).  So the keys produced might differ in the memory of the accused from those given by Park, thus rendering the test invalid (possible false negative).   

GKT is much more reliable with concrete facts (testimony is rarely completely concrete) that the perpetrator would definitely recall from the offense.  Crime scene characteristics are much better than things said and remembered....

I think this line of reasoning is rather specious--all that is known about this matter (as far as I have been made aware) comes through one accuser.  If there was an absence of credible specific information provided by this one source, then there would have been no basis to take such an allegation seriously in the first place--an allegation that would have to be considered in any regard with a careful eye in that it was allegedly offered by a known and established liar.  I find it highly unlikely that an honest individual relating that which he had been told regarding a conspiracy to commit murder would not or could not provide many useful key items related to methods planned for the alleged murder, timing of the alleged act, as well as the circumstances (location, time of day, etc) and nature of the event/act in which the allegation was made by the alleged co-conspirators, etc....

You further write:

Quote:
...You must be quite popular with your former Bureau colleagues (no longer limited to examiners)....

Although I value friends and approval of present and former colleagues as much as you and others, such a comment in connection with courtroom testimony would suggest to me that if this would be a consideration for you, your testimony should be summarily discounted by any and all courts and that you should forever be impeached as a result of such a personally held and publicly stated opinion.  The basis for proper expert testimony relates to an honest appraisal of the facts at hand and in no way should be influenced by the winning or losing of friends in the short term or long term.  I am quite disappointed with such a comment from you as well as your blanket (no qualifications/no explanations as to how it might relate to this case) characterization of testifying for the defense as pandering.  Regards as always…

« Last Edit: Aug 7th, 2003 at 9:47pm by Drew Richardson »  

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #5 - Aug 10th, 2003 at 4:33pm
Drew,

Quote:
Although I value friends and approval of present and former colleagues as much as you and others, such a comment in connection with courtroom testimony would suggest to me that if this would be a consideration for you, your testimony should be summarily discounted by any and all courts and that you should forever be impeached as a result of such a personally held and publicly stated opinion.  The basis for proper expert testimony relates to an honest appraisal of the facts at hand and in no way should be influenced by the winning or losing of friends in the short term or long term.  I am quite disappointed with such a comment from you as well as your blanket (no qualifications/no explanations as to how it might relate to this case) characterization of testifying for the defense as pandering.  Regards as always… 

I had to address this first because it was quite infuriating!!!!!!  You dare question my integrity as a witness!!  I would never jeopardize my integrity on the stand.  I also only testify to facts about an investigation.

You on the other hand testified in this case as an "expert witness."  You had no first hand knowledge of the case.  You chose to testify in this case for no other purpose then to condemn the investigating agency's attempts to corroborate or refute informant information regarding a possible murder of LE agents.  

You did not answer my question about whether you were paid?!!  Perhaps pandering was a euphemism; prostituting your PhD might have been more appropriate.  I'll bet there weren't many other PhD's or ex-LE standing in line to provide this testimony for this case.  Beech says I attack the Constitution by saying this, but does he know that expert testimony is NOT compulsory?! I believe in expert testimony, but one's own morals should decide if they wish to have their expertise used as the attorney wants.

THIS ATTACK ON THE EXAM (your testimony) DID NOT DISPROVE THAT THE CONVERSATION TOOK PLACE.  It likely did take place but the only witness was easily discredited.  The exam lended credibility to the witness. The article you provide makes it appear that your voluntary testimony was the one thing that caused the case to be dismissed.

When I spoke of popularity, it was in regard to your choice to give speculative expert testimony; not in regard to whether honesty was more important than popularity.
 PLEASE.

And I repeat that it was speculative.  You have no reason to believe Park practived CMs...only that he could have.  And posters here say the problem is not identifying a lie, but identifying the truth.  They say the problem is false positives.  Your testimony deals with false negative.  

Honestly, Drew, I think you started this thread because you wanted some reassurance for your conscience from contributors to this site.  "Disconcerting" might have been too light as well.  It is disturbing that you have helped discredit an allegation, which just might have been completely true.  

Quote:
This is kind of like saying if you have a job that requires a wrench and all you have is a screwdriver with you, go ahead and use the screwdriver...

The screwdriver fit quite well here, my friend.

Quote:
I think this line of reasoning is rather specious--

Specious? If you say so. Beech has eloquently pointed out that I'm inexperienced here.  But, do you disagree that you need concrete facts for a GKT?  Isn't the existence or non-existence of a conspiracy the issue, not if memory of details by all parties present were the same?  Please give me an educated answer, if I am so lacking here.  

I've been dealing with testimonial evidence my entire adult life.  Details often get lost or confused with otherwise honest people.  Weren't you an FBI agent?!

It's intersting that you also avoided my question about on whom you would place blame if these persons carried out their plan.  Hopefully just going to court for it will be deterrent enough for these guys. 

Regards.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

PublicRe: A Case for Concealed Information Testing
Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2003 at 5:39pm
Public Servant,

I will address the other aspects of your questions and comments as they apply to the issue of a possible concealed information test in this case when i have more time.  With regard to the first issue you raise, I would suggest that if you don't want your concerns about friends confused with your concerns about proper expert testimony that you not bring up the former in connection with a discussion dealing with the latter.  The latter is immaterial and irrelevant at best and should not in any way be associated with the former.  The discussion and this thread had nothing to do with old times and friends at the Bureau but specifically with expert testimony as well as the possibility of a having done a concealed information test in the matter at hand.  You have only yourself to blame if there is any lingering question(s) about your motives when providing testifying.  Note also that I did not categorically state that your testimony would be so affected and directed, but pointed out how clearly wrong such would be if that were the case.  Again I can only advise you if and when you ever do testify that you never make any references in court to the impact of that testimony on friends and colleagues.  Again, I don’t have time to deal with it now, but I take great exception to your commentary suggesting that those who testify for the defense on polygraph examinations conducted by another are prostituting Ph.D.s.  Regards,
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2003 at 7:08pm by Drew Richardson »  

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #7 - Aug 10th, 2003 at 6:05pm
Public Servant,

I suppose, because i will be unavailable for some time with other matters, a few additional comments to my last reply to you are in order.  With regard to the matter involved, although only I provided oral testimony for the defense, the written publications and comments of at least two other Ph.D.s were presented to the court.  Although I have not been paid in the matter and have not yet provided the formal request for such payment, if I am paid it will be by the court, not the defense counsel, in part inasmuch as my testimony and that of the prosecution witnessess was at a hearing requested by the judge to resolve various issues of concern to her.  With regard to present activities, amonst other things, I am currently involved in a  criminal matter involving polygraph examinations and one in which four Ph.D.s (none of whom conducted any of the polygraph examinations involved) will likely provide sworn testimony.  Would you categorize us all as prostitutes or only those testifying for the defense?  Again, I will suggest very strongly to you that if you ever made such a blanket allegation about others (a group of well-educated experts) before a court of law, you would only serve to impeach your own testimony.  Regards,
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2003 at 6:57pm by Drew Richardson »  

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #8 - Aug 11th, 2003 at 7:35am
Drew,

First of all, perhaps, "prostituting" was a bit harsh a term.  No doubt the defendent has a right to present a defense; and if evidence of culpability will be presented  he has the right to "attack" that evidence by reasonable means.  

However, if I were you, and I looked at the facts of this case, I would decline to provide the testimony desired.  The defense wanted someone to give some doubt to the polygraph results.  However, this doubt you provided them did not disprove the allegation and likely dismissed a case against persons who were a danger to society.  They used your "expert" testimony to speculate that the polygraph was a false positive.  I would like to think that most, regardless of their leanings on the issue of CQT, would not allow their expertise to be used for such a stretch. (What I fail to understand is why the judge used this to override the informatn testimony -- why would Park make this up?-- and why didn't prosecution have a rebuttal witness). 

No doubt you were sought out by defense counsel due to your anti-polygraph leanings.  If, say, Dr. Barland had been called, an equally (perhaps more) qualified  expert, the expert testimony would likely have been in favor of the validity of the exam and absent your opinin that CMs are not detectable.  Perhaps you even sought to provide this testimony to present your views to the court system and seek case precedence which could end CQT exams in LE (and I thought you were only after screening). 

I characterized this testimony negatively, not because of the substance, but because of its use.  I would not care if you were providing culpatory or exculpatory evidence; when you have a choice, you should make a decision (to provide such testimony) based on whether the use of the testimony is appropriate and for the common good.  I think this was for neither.  I am entitled to that opinion and I'm sure I am not alone.

I have never had a choice in my testimony.  I have always been summoned to court as a witness (investigator).  The testimony was always truthful, whether given for defense or prosecution (and sometimes not polular with my co-workers).  I was giving testimony in such a capacity long before I became an examiner, and wil continue to due so with the utmost integrity.

Your insinuation that I would jeopardize my integrity due to popularity was GROUNDLESS SPIN!!  My mention of your popularity with LE colleagues was merely a jab regarding your CHOICE to give testimony in this instance.  If you feel you made a good moral decision to provide such testimony, then you should have not have a need to question my courtroom integrity in response.  I did not question the integrity of your testimony, just its use and your decision to provide it.  I'd have expected such low level comments from the poster just before your response, but I did not expect such from you.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #9 - Aug 11th, 2003 at 8:00am
Drew,

OK, hopefully that will end our bout of couter-attacks and defensiveness.  

Here's my point in reference to GKT:
In my opinion, it would be foolhardy to base a GKT entirely on the testimony of one witness.  The information (details of the conversation) could be unreliable, while the overall picture (the conspiracy conversation) might have occurred.  The suspect(s) might recall the details differently than the informant and now they have little response to the keys you used.  Yet a criminal conspiracy might have occurred.  

Would that be a false negative; or an invalid exam due to faulty keys?  I'd go with the latter.  That's the problem, you could not be sure of the validity of your keys with only one witness's account.

Ever take statements from various well-meaning eywitnesses to a crime and get differing details; and/or details differ from the physical evidence.  It's a flaw in human memory.   

Here's another illustration:  In school you have someone read a passage then pass it around the class from memory.  By the last person, you get an entirely different passage.  

This is why I'd be hesitant to use a GKT with the suspects in such an instance, based on one persons testimony.  

Don't get me wrong, I think the GKT is an extremely reliable tool.  It just has to be planned for in advance and used when you have very concrete keys, sure to be in the perpetrator's memory.

I'll use your analogy to tools.  The GKT is the wrench.  It is a sturdier, perhaps more reliable tool, but useless on a phillips head screw.  When faced with the screw, you have to lay the wrench aside and use what works. In this case, the screwdriver is the useful, if un-loved, CQT.

Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #10 - Aug 11th, 2003 at 8:40am
Public Servant,

Are you suggesting that retired law enforcement officers should not voluntarily provide expert testimony for the defense when the charges are serious? Isn't justice better served by all relevant testimony being heard?

You've accused Drew of having given "speculative" testimony. I don't see on what basis you make that claim. Specifically what testimony did Drew provide that you believe to be speculative?

Is not CQT polygraphy itself an exercise in speculation? (After the National Academy of Sciences report, virtually no one is seriously claiming that polygraphy has any scientific basis.)

You asserted that in the case in which Drew testified, "...The Bureau used the only tool left (CQT) to corroborate (or refute) a very serious accusation.... " Drew replied (quite reasonably, I think) that using the CQT in this situation was liking using a screwdriver for a job that requires a wrench, to which you replied, "The screwdriver fit quite well here, my friend." On what basis do you make this assertion?

I'm glad that you've clarified that your remark about Drew's popularity with his former colleagues was "merely a jab," and that you would not jeapordize your integrity over concerns about popularity. But I think your jab was an inappropriate and unfortunate one, that, in the context in which it appeared, logically leads to the inference that you might condition your testimony on the anticipated reaction of colleagues.

What I still find troubling, though, is your apparent suggestion that someone such as Drew (that is, someone who is under no compulsion to testify) should voluntarily withhold relevant expert testimony depending on the way one thinks the case should be decided.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #11 - Aug 11th, 2003 at 2:46pm
George,

Quote:
Are you suggesting that retired law enforcement officers should not voluntarily provide expert testimony for the defense when the charges are serious? Isn't justice better served by all relevant testimony being heard?

No, I am suggesting one should determine whether justice is best served by the testimony asked of him.

Here's why I characterize the testimony as speculative:
Quote:

Drew Richardson, a former FBI agent who specializes in lie detection, said the tests can be defeated if a person employs simple physical tasks such as biting his cheek or mental exercises such as doing complex arithmetic.

The article says that basically Drew said the test could be defeated by CMs so it is not indicative of truth.  This enabled the attorney to draw a speculative conclusion that Park "beat" the test.  Yet there is not a speck of evidence to support that Park even knew what a CM was.  It is also speculative to say that CMs could not have been identified by the examiner. 

If this is not a speculative conclusion, then no one who has passed their screening exam would mind having Drew tell their agency's adjudicator that they should not believe the applicants.  Since they might have (without evidence) known about or practiced countermeasures, they should be disqualified.  A little different when put that way, eh?

Perhaps I should not be upset with Drew.  He is being true to his anti-polygraph (anti-establishment?) ways.  I 'm shocked the AUSA did not find an expert without an anti-poly axe to grind.  The AUSA seemed as in awe of the PhD as the judge.  Neither seemed to question any of it.  The judge seemed to say, well if Drew says so, Park must have used countermeasures.  And the AUSA just threw up his hands in defeat, as if he agreed.

Here's the other thing that bothers me; if Park really didn't hear the conversation, how was he able to name the FBI SA that worked the case on the other two?

I stated the screwdriver (CQT) fit, because it was the only tool left to test the validity of Park's claims... Well, other than SI R/I.  A CQT was quite appropriate to testing Park's claims.

Quote:
I'm glad that you've clarified that your remark about Drew's popularity with his former colleagues was "merely a jab," and that you would not jeapordize your integrity over concerns about popularity. But I think your jab was an inappropriate and unfortunate one, that, in the context in which it appeared, logically leads to the inference that you might condition your testimony on the anticipated reaction of colleagues. 

George, how in the hell can you or Drew go from me saying he's losing popularity with his former LE colleagues, to insinuating I base testimony on popularity.  This is LUDICROUS, BASELESS, and SLANDEROUS.  I obviously know Drew does not care about popularity with LE.  You should know I have devoted my adult life to integrity and justice.

This was a HUGE stretch by any measure.  While I admit, I was a bit harsh and sarcastic in this thread, I did not question anyone's competence or character ... just their decision making processes.  

This is an on-going, unapologetic, BASELESS attack on my very fiber.  Yet both you and Drew seem to spend more time on that than on the substance of my argument.  This choice to spin my comments into ad homenem character attacks, brings both of your credibility into question.  Nothing in my post insinuated I would ever consider basing testimony on popularity.

Now anyone care to address the substance here?!
The thread is titled "A Case for Concealed Information Testing," yet I am the only one discussing whether this is such a case.  

Or perhaps we could discuss the use of CQT to test the accuser in this case....

Or perhaps we could discuss whether justice (or public safety) was served in this case....

Or you can go on making up things about the character on which I have based my LE career; in which case I will conclude that even Drew and George can no longer stick to the substance of the debate.  Has everyone here become Beech Trees and Batman?!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #12 - Aug 11th, 2003 at 4:27pm
Public Servant,

I will defer to Drew regarding the applicability of the GKT to the case at hand, but would like to address some of the other points you raised. You write:

Quote:
...I am suggesting one should determine whether justice is best served by the testimony asked of him.

As I wrote earlier, I find this notion troubling. You seem to be saying that expert witnesses like Drew should voluntarily withhold relevant expert testimony depending on the way one thinks the case should be decided. Isn't justice better served when the trier of fact has access to as much relevant evidence as possible?

Drew's testimony that polygraph examinations can be defeated through countermeasures is hardly speculative. It has been demonstrated through peer-reviewed research. The U.S. Government itself has made this very argument before the U.S. Supreme Court in arguing against the admissibility of polygraph evidence. In U.S. v. Scheffer, DOJ lawyer Michael R. Dreeben noted that "[t]he fundamental unreliability of polygraph evidence is underscored…because of the possibility that countermeasures can defeat any test."

Making the observation that CQT polygraphy can be beaten through the use of countermeasures is not the same as arguing that a person did in fact use countermeasures. But the very fact that polygraphy is vulnerable to countermeasures speaks to the unreliability of polygraph results.

You write:

Quote:
If this is not a speculative conclusion, then no one who has passed their screening exam would mind having Drew tell their agency's adjudicator that they should not believe the applicants.  Since they might have (without evidence) known about or practiced countermeasures, they should be disqualified.  A little different when put that way, eh?

You've drawn a false analogy here. Drew wasn't arguing that Park should be disbelieved, but rather that his having passed a polygraph examination is not reliable evidence that he told the truth.

Finally, I wish to clarify that it was not at all my intention to insinuate that you base your testimony on popularity. To the contrary, and as I noted, I'm glad that you clarified that you do not base your testimony on popularity, and that your remark about it to Drew was "merely a jab." I'm sorry if my remarks may have appeared to be facetious or tongue-in-cheek; I didn't intend them to be.

But I must respectfully disagree with your assertion that "[n]othing in [your] post insinuated [you] would ever consider basing testimony on popularity." I think the wording of your first reply to Drew regrettably lent itself to that interpretation.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #13 - Aug 12th, 2003 at 4:41am
George,

Quote:
As I wrote earlier, I find this notion troubling. You seem to be saying that expert witnesses like Drew should voluntarily withhold relevant expert testimony depending on the way one thinks the case should be decided. Isn't justice better served when the trier of fact has access to as much relevant evidence as possible? 

I think a potential expert witness should be guided by his/her conscience.  In this case I feel such an expert should have seen that his testimony did not provide solid evidence of what the defense was trying to say.  

However, you are correct that any evidence allowable should be presented.  Perhaps my concern is misdirected and should directed at the fact that the AUSA did not obtain an expert to counter Drew's testimony and that the judge saw the speculation he raised as sufficient to vacate the charge.

This argument might have been raised in the SCHEFFER case, however, the ruling to disallow the polygraph evidence was not based upon this argument.  Rather the court ruled that since the MCM includes a rule of evidence specifically disallowing polygraph, it could not be introduced.  The court said the MCM is signed by the President in his Constitutional role as Commander-in-Chief, and thus could not be overruled by the court.  It goes on to say that differing views on reliability of polygraph makes it reasonable for various jurisdictions to make their own determinations on admissibility, thus the decision to do so is not arbitrary.  (Forgive my paraphrase.)

Quote:
You've drawn a false analogy here. Drew wasn't arguing that Park should be disbelieved, but rather that his having passed a polygraph examination is not reliable evidence that he told the truth. 

I disagree.  Though Drew might not have said "you must disbelieve the informant", his testimony was clearly used to make this statement.  If one person said derogatory information about you (correlate to the sister's letter in the article), yet you passed your polygrah exam, would you want an "expert" to tell the adjudicator that the person providing derogatory info (who might just have a grudge to settle) is more credible than you and the exam you passed?

Quote:
But I must respectfully disagree with your assertion that "[n]othing in [your] post insinuated [you] would ever consider basing testimony on popularity." I think the wording of your first reply to Drew regrettably lent itself to that interpretation.

I must respectfully disagree with you.  Here's what I said:
Quote:
Drew, I admire your work in CNS technology, but this apparent pandering to defense attorneys (I assume you were paid for your work for the defense) is troubling.  You must be quite popular with your former Bureau colleagues (no longer limited to examiners).  Please stick to constructive research.   

The two were separate statements.  The latter was a half-joking reference to the fact that he might have allowed subjects who wish to kill an FBI agent to prevent prosecution for illicit business practices, to go free.  The first statement was a separate thought (hence the separate sentence).   Nothing I said linked the two and to imply that I use popularity to guide my testimony was pure FABRICATION.  Nothing logically linked the two except wild conjecture (may I borrow your term?) in a sad attempt to attack me rather than the real substance of the argument.

In terms of proving validity of an assertion, this assessment of my statement is very unscientific; as is the defense attorneys use of Drew's testimony in discrediting the informant in the cited case.  I am a bit disappointed to see this from a scientist and supposed subscriber to science.

I guess I've been pretty successful in my arguments regarding what formats were and were not applicable in this case.  No one seems to want to continue that topic.  Drew left two messages, both of which only addressed my credibility.

As an aside, in the latter of those last messages, Drew seemed to insinuate I would only criticize someone testifying for the defense.  He obviously missed the thread wherein, George, you and I discussed my extensive experience in providing support to the defense.  Again the scientist makes unsubstantiated insinuations about me personally, yet avoids the substance.  Could it be that a little old layman like myself has Dr. Drew on the defensive?  I don't understand it.

Take care.
« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2003 at 7:19am by Public Servant »  

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #14 - Aug 12th, 2003 at 8:05am
George, 

After making my last post, I engaged in an unrelated conversation with a fellow investigator which reminded me of an anectdotal reply to your assertion that expert opinion should be provided whenever requested.

A few years back I was involved in obtaining a confession to murder (no poly involved).  The subject provided both a written statement and a video-taped confession.

As the trial date approached, I was informed by the prosecutor that defense was consulting an expert on false confessions (psychiatrist or psychologist, I believe).  Just prior to the trial, I was informed that the expert witness was not going to testify.   

After the trial , I heard that the expert witness reviewed the statements and circumstances surrounding the statements and apparently he felt the statements did not fit the criteria of his research for false statements (and he might also have felt that the physical evidence indicated the confession was not false).   

Following your assertion, this professional should have provided testimony about how a confession could be false, even though he believed this one was not.   

In my opinion, this was a man of integrity because he would not allow his expertise to be misused (and thus possibly discredited) to disprove (or provide doubt to) something it did not.  Whether it was his decision or the defense counsel's decision to pull him from the witness list, no doubt it was his candor with counsel that prevented him from testifying.  Perhaps this display integrity applied to counsel and expert alike.

Now mind you, I only have word of mouth information about why this expert did not testify.  But given this set of circumstances, am I wrong here?  Do you think this expert witness was somehow morally flawed?  Should he have testified about possibilities of false confession if he did not believe it occurred in the case at hand?

Drew testified about CMs to discredit the exam and ultimately the witness; yet he had no reason to beleive they had been practiced.  That's the bottom line to my view on that issue.

Cheers.

IP Logged

A Case for Concealed Information Testing

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X