Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) USSS DRug Policy (Read 15636 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box bench
New User

USSS DRug Policy
Aug 2nd, 2003 at 11:42pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I am 32.  I went to a UD job fair over the weekend.  When the UD officer was talking to us she said do not lie on the interview that was being conducted this day.  So a agent came down took me to a room and started to ask questions.  He said we were all young and we made mistakes.  So he got to the drug questions.  He asked me if I smoked weed.  I said yes.  The last time was 1991.  I was 21 in college.  Then he asked me how mnay times.  i said maybe 12.  He said give a a correct answer.  Then he said you think 15- 20 times I said yes. I know it is under 20. At that point he said the inteview is over and I cound not be recommend for further consideration.  He said it was to much volume.  Even thpough it has been 12 years.  So telling the truth got me know where. He looked like he was disappointed.  So I ask, why ask how mnay times?  It has been 12 years. It is not like I did it everyday and I never smoked a joint by myself.  Just a few hits.  Thank you for your time. I am looking forward to hearing a reply.

Bench

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box suethem
Very Senior User

Re: USSS DRug Policy
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2003 at 6:53am
Bench,   

I would guess that the interview was terminated because you seemed to change the number of times you experimented with pot.

If you think it was twelve you should have just said twelve. When the interviewer offered the 15-20 times, you should have responded,  no, 12 times.

It is very typical of an interviewer to try to mislead a perspective officer into making contradictory statements, thereby disqualifying that applicant.

In polygraphs exams the interviewers will do the same thing.  They will try all kinds of tricks to get you to fail or make contradictory statements.

Consider it a lesson learned and don't be wishy washy next time.  Stick to you guns and don't let anyone lead you astray. 

Try again, somehwere else if need be.  Might be a good idea to find and read a book about LE job interviews.  Good luck.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2003 at 6:58am
So does this mean I can never aplly again? To the uniform division of the secret service?

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2003 at 7:11am
Bench,

I don't know   ( I don't work for USSS).

How much paperwork did you fill out for this interview?  Name , SSN and DOB- or was it just a fill in the blanks and chat with an agent?

You could call USSS personel or a recruiter and ask.

The worst thing you can ever so is give up.  There are other LE jobs besides USSS UD!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box joey

Reply #4 - Aug 3rd, 2003 at 7:27pm
the reason your interview ended quick was when you admitted to the agent you tried mj 15-20 times, it is imoportant always to stick with your answers in order to prevent problems. You can always apply elsewhere

IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2003 at 8:32pm
When you say else where. What do you mean?  Another agency?
Thanks
Bench

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Aug 4th, 2003 at 3:44am
what i meant is that you can apply to another lawenforcement agency, there are over 17000 agencies in this country. The more police departments you apply to the better for you.

Good luck.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #7 - Aug 4th, 2003 at 5:33am
Thanks Joey

But do you think I can aplly again to the UD?

Bench

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Aug 4th, 2003 at 11:13pm
you can apply, but why would you want to if the interview ended the way it ended. if an agency disqualifies me i would not want to apply there again.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ray
Senior User

Reply #9 - Aug 26th, 2003 at 8:41pm
Sorry I'm late on this response but I can't let this slide.  Suethem, read Bench's initial post again and tell me how he was "tricked."  Wouldn't you agree that if someone answers a question by saying "maybe twelve" that further questions should be asked?  They sure pulled a fast one on him.  I hope you're not a cop.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #10 - Aug 26th, 2003 at 8:44pm
Ray wrote on Aug 26th, 2003 at 8:41pm:
Sorry I'm late on this response but I can't let this slide.  Suethem, read Bench's initial post again and tell me how he was "tricked."  Wouldn't you agree that if someone answers a question by saying "maybe twelve" that further questions should be asked?  They sure pulled a fast one on him.  I hope you're not a cop.

ROFLMAO!  A Classic!

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #11 - Aug 27th, 2003 at 3:37am
Ray,

They way I read this ( and I could be reading it wrong) is that the applicant did not have an exact number, only knew that his weed experimentation  was in the neighborhood of 12 times ( but definitely below 20).

Where was the SS cut off?  Did they DQ him because he was over the limit of permissable use or because he seemed to waffle on his answer?

Why did the interviewer offer 15-20 times as an answer? Thats a little bit of a loaded question to me.  Did he do it to help the applicant?  Or was it to get a contradictory statement and DQ him?

Should the applicant just have given a low number and stuck with it or been both  honest and unsure?  (they wanted the truth right?)   

Whats  your take on this scenario-  the kids a liar and got caught by a great investigator?

I used the word 'tricks' with what a polygrapher tries to do (or turn)!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box wannabe ud

Reply #12 - Dec 11th, 2003 at 6:57pm
I have a question along this line. I was asked at a usss-ud job fair if I had smoked pot and I said yes. When asked how many times I said 1-2 with some friends about fifteen years ago. Now (4 weeks later)I am in the process of filling out the formal app's and realize I used more than stated in the initial interview. (approx 10 times) Should I stick to my original number and take my chances with the poly or should I just turn in my app and give the more correct answer this time? 
I was honest, just not correct.

Wannabe ud

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Guest

Reply #13 - Dec 12th, 2003 at 5:10am
OK Bench this is the point.... your drug usage is way past experimental. If it is in the double numbers you were partying. If you can not recall the exact times you did it or can't come to a clear number you are comforatable with...... How can you expect any law enforcement agency to be comforatble with you. Pick a number you know you could'nt of exceeded (clearly in your mind) and stick with it. For example some agency's allow for little to no usage, some don't care if it was 100, prior to five years ago. One of these agencies and you will be a fit, some will not..... but be honest. You will be tossed if you keep changing numbers you have to be honest with yourself and get a spine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!otherwise you will never have a badge.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Kona
Very Senior User

Reply #14 - Dec 12th, 2003 at 10:06am
Wannabe,

If you want any chance of being hired, you'd better stick to your original story.  If you tell them you forgot about the other 8 times, 20 times, 50 times that you smoked dope, they will probably wonder what else have you forgotten to tell them, and will view you as basically dishonest.   

Reality check......who really gives a damn if you smoked pot twice, 8 times, or 22 1/2 times fifteen years ago?  If you haven't done it since, and have lived your life since as a law abiding citizen, is this even relevant?  In my humble opinion, it isn't.  However,  others may disagree, and I have no problem with that.    

Stick to your guns, and don't volunteer information that can get you DQ'ed.   

Kona

IP Logged

USSS DRug Policy

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X