Normal Topic Update on results (Read 4943 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box JohnBoy

Update on results
Aug 2nd, 2003 at 4:53pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I failed my poly as assumed by the reaction of the polygrapher. I told the 100% truth and was accused of cheating on an exam in college and witholding information on my application packet. Can you believe that? I can tell people I will not be an SA due to "possible" cheating in college.  What a joke!! I seriously do not know how the examiners/witchdoctors sleep at night. Let me say it again....I told the 100% truth and here I am!! After reading the many posts on this board I still failed to take the warnings seriously! I understand that if you are like me and go in telling the truth the chances are in your favor of passing. BUT you never know!! The way the examiner walked me into the cheating question is another story in itself. So add me to list of people who are here to say "Telling the truth will not gurantee you a passing score on the polygraph......." .  What a bureaucratic joke!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Update on results
Reply #1 - Aug 2nd, 2003 at 8:32pm
JohnBoy,

Note that the question about cheating in college was a probable-lie "control" question. (Review Chapter 3 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.) If your polygrapher accused you of deception with regard to this question between chart collections, he was probably trying to "sensitize" you to it. This would actually have the effect of "helping" you to pass, as your reaction to that probable-lie "control" question would have been compared with your reaction to a relevant question (perhaps the question about withholding information on your application packet, which is a relevant question).

Of course, none of this has any scientific basis whatsoever: it is sheer quackery, and it is an outrage that our government relies on such nonsense to assess the honesty and integrity of applicants for employment.

But from your account above, it is not so clear to me that you didn't pass. You might have.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Aug 2nd, 2003 at 9:30pm
George,

You wrote : "But from your account above, it is not so clear to me that you didn't pass. You might have."

From reading my statement I don't think I made it clear that I received the official "thanks but no thanks" from the HR coordinator via phone and the letter is probably waiting in my mail box as I type this.

Were you in question that I did not receive the official results or are you still convinced that I passed the exam?

I confessed that I cheated in High School off the machine but she(examiner) would not let it rest. She continued to question me and then later asked if I cheated in college while hooked up to the machine. So that does make perfect sense that the cheating question was a "control" question. More reason for me to be frustrated for not educating myself properly. That makes me wonder what part of the examine  I actually did "fail" ?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2003 at 1:53am
JohnBoy,

Based on the new information you have provided, I regret to say that it seems clear that you did not pass.

If, for the benefit of others, you would be interested in writing a more detailed statement about your experience for inclusion on the AntiPolygraph.org Personal Statements page, please get in touch at info@antipolygraph.org.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Human Subject
Senior User

Reply #4 - Aug 5th, 2003 at 12:17am
Hey JohnBoy, I'm sorry to hear that.  Your story is very similar to mine, so I can sympathize.  For me it was a huge disappointment, and I'm sure it's the same with you.

All I can say is try to stay positive.  If you want to appeal, do so.  But in the meantime just take a step back and re-assess your other career goals.  Then start taking positive steps toward their accomplishment.  It will restore the sense that you have a grip on the reins of your life -- which is something an experience such as the one you just suffered through can undermine.

Hopefully not a lot of people knew about your application process.  I know in my case it seemed like everyone did (I have chatty friends and relatives).  Now they all look at me either like I'm this poor wounded creature or I'm this person with dark secrets that they never really knew.  This can make things tough.  I wish I had advice on how to handle this, but I don't.  (Other than to refer them to this site so they can at least start to learn more about the polygraph than they know from watching Law and Order reruns.)

And if anyone reading this is about to take the exam and hasn't decided whether to use CMs or not...  I'm pretty sure it feels better to fail after at least trying to take control of the situation than to fail after leaving your fate to the whims of a polygrapher and his trusty machine.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fed-up Fed

Reply #5 - Aug 5th, 2003 at 3:32am
Human Subject, the way you empathize with that loser John Boy just makes a fella cry.   Cry Cry

And to make things worse George gets his hopes up by telling him he may have actually passed.  George and his advice, both as worthless as tits on a boar hog. 

I guess it's back to Walton's mountain for John Boy.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box suethem
Very Senior User

Reply #6 - Aug 5th, 2003 at 5:23am
Fed-up Fed,

If John boy told the truth and failed, how could that make you happy?

Don't you think that failing an innocent person is unjust.

Didn't you swear to uphold the law and the spirit of the law?

What happened to you to make you so bitter that you would gloat over a miscarrige of justice?

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Aug 5th, 2003 at 4:18pm
Human Subject,

Thanks for the head's up bro! Luckily I did not tell too many people about the process but the ones I did tell responded the same way your family and friends did. Luckily my strange sense of humor allowed me to get some laughs out of that! I have several ol' school family friends in the federal law enforcement agencies who 'warned' me of the poly by telling me that telling the truth would not guarantee a passing score due to false positives. That's the funny thing about the poly. Everyone in these agencies, atleast the experienced ones, know how much of a joke the test is. One of the good things about not getting the FED job is not having to take a 25,000 pay cut right of the bat. That would have hurt!

I have heard stories all my life from my LEO family and friends about the jokesters and "geeks" that work in these agencies. It is obvious that our friend 'Fed Up Fed' either just graduated from the academy and is looking to rub his alleged accomplishments in someone's face or is just mad that the real agents at his office never ask him to go and eat at Denny's for lunch. "Hey guys wanna ask the poly nerd to lunch.....haaaaa" I'm willing to bet that first words out of Fed up Fed's mouth after graduation were...."And I get my own gun"....haaaaa. And this guy is suppose to be "protecting us"...now that's the true comedy out of all this.

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #8 - Aug 5th, 2003 at 10:19pm
Quote:
Human Subject, the way you empathize with that loser John Boy just makes a fella cry.   Cry Cry

What makes him a loser?  Not passing a poly?  If so, I guess I'm a loser too.

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #9 - Aug 5th, 2003 at 10:27pm
Quote:
Human Subject,

Thanks for the head's up bro! Luckily I did not tell too many people about the process but the ones I did tell responded the same way your family and friends did. Luckily my strange sense of humor allowed me to get some laughs out of that! I have several ol' school family friends in the federal law enforcement agencies who 'warned' me of the poly by telling me that telling the truth would not guarantee a passing score due to false positives. That's the funny thing about the poly. Everyone in these agencies, atleast the experienced ones, know how much of a joke the test is. One of the good things about not getting the FED job is not having to take a 25,000 pay cut right of the bat. That would have hurt!

Yeah, the funniest part for me is that if they really believed I was guilty of all the misdeeds the polygraph "uncovered" they'd be tailing me 24/7.  (Maybe they are sneakier than I give them credit for, but I haven't seen any evidence of this.)  Or I should be in a cage at Camp X-Ray.

Quote:
I have heard stories all my life from my LEO family and friends about the jokesters and "geeks" that work in these agencies. It is obvious that our friend 'Fed Up Fed' either just graduated from the academy and is looking to rub his alleged accomplishments in someone's face or is just mad that the real agents at his office never ask him to go and eat at Denny's for lunch. "Hey guys wanna ask the poly nerd to lunch.....haaaaa" I'm willing to bet that first words out of Fed up Fed's mouth after graduation were...."And I get my own gun"....haaaaa. And this guy is suppose to be "protecting us"...now that's the true comedy out of all this.

Based on the appearance of my polygrapher, I would guess he's very familar with Denny's even if he does eat alone.  A really finely-tuned specimen he was.

IP Logged

Update on results

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X