Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Gender, Ethnicity and Polygraphy (Read 18267 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Saidme
Especially Senior User

Re: Gender, Ethnicity and Polygraphy
Reply #30 - Aug 11th, 2003 at 2:13am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Bravo Suethem

You seem to be a vehement defender of Dr Drew.  I would like to hear from Dr Drew what his experience with polygraph is from a technician's standpoint.  I don't want to hear about his studies or his opinions.  I want to hear about his personal experiences with polygraph, i.e. how many exams has he ran?  How many DI as opposed to NDI exams he had?  How many post-test confessions he obtained?  I would also like to hear about some of his experiences as an interviewer/interrogator regarding non-polygraph interviews?  Trust me, just because he's a supervisory FBI agent does not make him an expert in interviews and interrogations.  If you believe that, you've been watching too much TV. Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #31 - Aug 11th, 2003 at 3:31am
Saidme wrote on Aug 11th, 2003 at 2:13am:
Bravo Suethem

You seem to be a vehement defender of Dr Drew.  I would like to hear from Dr Drew what his experience with polygraph is from a technician's standpoint.  I don't want to hear about his studies or his opinions.  I want to hear about his personal experiences with polygraph, i.e. how many exams has he ran?  How many DI as opposed to NDI exams he had?  How many post-test confessions he obtained?  I would also like to hear about some of his experiences as an interviewer/interrogator regarding non-polygraph interviews?  Trust me, just because he's a supervisory FBI agent does not make him an expert in interviews and interrogations.  If you believe that, you've been watching too much TV. Wink

Saidme,
I see in your attacks on Dr. Richardson's qualifications that you're still maintaining the polygraph is some sort of a mysterious black box that science cannot fathom.  You'll pardon me, I hope, if I find such excuses wholly unsatisfactory, as they've been used too many times by countless charlatans to justify all sorts of snake oil.

That's not to say that I necessarily believe you're being knowingly dishonest.  But I have yet to see any good reason provided here why scientific investigation cannot determine the accuracy of claims regarding the polygraph's validity.  Frankly, I believe your statements along those lines represent little more than self-delusion by a true believer.  And I think your criticisms of Dr. Richardson sound an awful lot like those of a religious fanatic who says those who don't believe as he does and criticize the cult he's in just haven't had the right revelations yet...

As for DoDPI's studies, most of the criticism of their work I've seen has been based upon methodology.  Certainly, the issue of bias does come into the picture, and the fact that DoDPI tried to supress a study that was also contrary to their interests suggests the study deserves extra attention.  However, you're quite correct that the ultimate issue is whether the studies are done well, and that assessment largely needs to be done on a case-by-case basis.

Skeptic
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2003 at 5:08am by Skeptic »  

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #32 - Aug 11th, 2003 at 6:42pm
Skeptic

I've come to the conclusion that you guys must all be a band of Gypsies.  Black box, snake oil, charlatans.  Just joking.  My intent is not to "attack" Dr Drew, I'm just interested in his polygraph experiences from a technician standpoint as opposed to a research standpoint.  Regarding DODPI alleged suppression of their racial bias study, if true, shame on them.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #33 - Aug 11th, 2003 at 9:54pm
Saidme wrote on Aug 11th, 2003 at 6:42pm:
Skeptic

I've come to the conclusion that you guys must all be a band of Gypsies.  Black box, snake oil, charlatans.  Just joking.  My intent is not to "attack" Dr Drew, I'm just interested in his polygraph experiences from a technician standpoint as opposed to a research standpoint.  Regarding DODPI alleged suppression of their racial bias study, if true, shame on them.

If your intent isn't to attack Dr. Richardson, then perhaps referring to him as a "knucklehead" isn't the best way to go about it.

As you've noted, simply having a good education and an impressive title doesn't make one "smart".  However, the three do tend to be correlated, especially at the Ph.D. level, and especially considering the tasks with which Dr. Richardson was charged.

Being an unrepentant polygrapher is, perhaps, another story.  However, I'm sure there are intelligent polygraphers who inexplicably continue to believe in the "test" (you seem to be an example), just as there are intelligent creationists.  If our experience on this message board is at all representative, however, such people are likely in the minority.

With that in mind, I'm not sure what Dr. Richardson's field experience with the polygraph would have to do with his status as a "knucklehead" or a "smart person", to say nothing of his credentials to discuss the "test"'s efficacy from a scientific point-of-view.  

Of course, you're really just saying an indication of intelligence is to have administered polygraph tests and have since seen the error of one's ways, I heartily concur Smiley

Skeptic
« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2003 at 2:36am by Skeptic »  

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #34 - Aug 12th, 2003 at 2:46am
Skeptic

Acutally I wanted to hear from Drew about his experiences.  I'm interested to know some of the following:  Was he a full time polygraph examiner?  Did he attend polygraph school only as part of a research project?  If he ran polygraph examinations would he (or his peers) considered him to have been competent?  If he ran polygraph examinations, would he have considered himself to have been a competent interrogator?  I think it's important to know because there are examiners out in the field who don't succeed at polygraph.  Not necessarily because they're knuckleheads but because they're probably better suited for other programs in law enforcement.  Many of those former examiners know their limitations and move on carrying fond memories of their former profession.  Others move on as bitter proponents of polygraph because they couldn't succeed and since they couldn't succeed, they'll do anything to undermine polygraph as an excellent law enforcement tool.  I just wanted to see which side of the fence Drew stood. Smiley

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anonymouse

Reply #35 - Aug 12th, 2003 at 3:14am
Saidme wrote on Aug 12th, 2003 at 2:46am:
Others move on as bitter proponents of polygraph because they couldn't succeed and since they couldn't succeed, they'll do anything to undermine polygraph as an excellent law enforcement tool.

priceless

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box s-X-e
User

FYI: A proponent is one who advocates....
Reply #36 - Aug 12th, 2003 at 3:23am

I think it's important to know because there are examiners out in the field who don't succeed at polygraph.  Not necessarily because they're knuckleheads but because they're probably better suited for other programs in law enforcement.  Many of those former examiners know their limitations and move on carrying fond memories of their former profession.  Others move on as bitter proponents of polygraph because they couldn't succeed and since they couldn't succeed, they'll do anything to undermine polygraph as an excellent law enforcement tool.  

Don't you think it's possible your thinking might be a little too narrow if you believe ex-polygraphers only fall into two groups: those who enjoyed it and those who hate it because they couldn't succeed at it? I think you're leaving out the possibility where the examiner realizes s/he practices a garbage science that screws innocent people out of potential jobs and/or casts criminal suspicion on them, and simply gives it up. I don't think denouncing polygraphy automatically makes one a "bitter proponent" (see subject) of it. Could you explain why you believe that nobody who has given up polygraphy has done so because they simply realized it was a sham?

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #37 - Aug 12th, 2003 at 3:27am
Actually they do fall into two groups.  Those who end up believing they're sticking it to the examinees are the examiners who have either lost they're confidence or never had it to begin with.  From a polygraph (or examinee's) perspective, it's best they leave the profession anyway because they probably would stick it to some poor examinee.  It's actually a win-win situation for everyone.   Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Human Subject
Senior User

Reply #38 - Aug 12th, 2003 at 3:45am
Others move on as bitter proponents of polygraph because they couldn't succeed and since they couldn't succeed, they'll do anything to undermine polygraph as an excellent law enforcement tool.

anonymouse wrote on Aug 12th, 2003 at 3:14am:

priceless

Yeah, it's priceless alright.  Because the word he's looking for is "opponent".

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #39 - Aug 12th, 2003 at 3:59am
Skeptic

Acutally I wanted to hear from Drew about his experiences.  I'm interested to know some of the following:  Was he a full time polygraph examiner?  Did he attend polygraph school only as part of a research project?  If he ran polygraph examinations would he (or his peers) considered him to have been competent?  If he ran polygraph examinations, would he have considered himself to have been a competent interrogator?  

I can almost picture the studied look of wide-eyed innocence on your face as you wrote the above, Saidme Smiley  Oh, have it your way: you're "just curious".

Quote:
I think it's important to know because there are examiners out in the field who don't succeed at polygraph.  Not necessarily because they're knuckleheads but because they're probably better suited for other programs in law enforcement.  Many of those former examiners know their limitations and move on carrying fond memories of their former profession.  Others move on as bitter proponents of polygraph because they couldn't succeed and since they couldn't succeed, they'll do anything to undermine polygraph as an excellent law enforcement tool.  I just wanted to see which side of the fence Drew stood. Smiley

Hmmm...I note you've completely excluded the possibility that one might come to a reasoned, logical conclusion through one's experiences that the polygraph is bogus...

Do I gather correctly from the above that you believe any former examiner who now opposes the polygraph is simply "bitter"?  If so, would you be so kind as to provide references to the polling you've conducted on the matter?  

Or is this another one of those infamous Saidme "specifics and evidence are for lesser beings" assertions?

Skeptic
« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2003 at 4:31am by Skeptic »  

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #40 - Aug 12th, 2003 at 4:17am
I would place the majority in that catagory.  I'm sure there are a few exceptions.  I would place all former examiner's who oppose polygraph as those who've lost their own confidence in administering polygraph examinations.  They beleive it is bogus because they don't have the capabilities to properly run an examination.  And like I said before, it's certainly better for the examinees that those folks are no longer administering polygraphs.  It's just as well their out there supporting you guys.   Wink

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #41 - Aug 12th, 2003 at 4:38am
Saidme wrote on Aug 12th, 2003 at 4:17am:
I would place the majority in that catagory.  I'm sure there are a few exceptions.  I would place all former examiner's who oppose polygraph as those who've lost their own confidence in administering polygraph examinations.  They beleive it is bogus because they don't have the capabilities to properly run an examination.  And like I said before, it's certainly better for the examinees that those folks are no longer administering polygraphs.  It's just as well their out there supporting you guys.   Wink

Sorry to belabor the point, but I'm afraid I'm still not quite clear on what you're saying.  Are you saying that you believe all former examiners who now oppose the polygraph do so because they lost their confidence in administering polygraph examinations, as opposed to doing so because they lost their confidence in the test's accuracy and efficacy itself, period?  The two aren't mutually exclusive, you know -- in fact, the former might be seen as due to the latter.

How can you be sure of this?

Skeptic

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #42 - Aug 12th, 2003 at 4:38am
Saidme,
Since you ignore your own "advice" and remain off-topic, I'll respond to your post.
Quote:
I would venture to say almost all federal agencies run those type of cases.  Maybe your lack of law enforcement experience is shining through.

I never claimed to have any law enforcement experience. What I do have is knowledge. Or do I? Please enlighten me, oh great one. Tell us what Federal LEA handles those types of cases. Agencies tend to "specialize" in a few different crimes, but none handles ALL of the types you claim to have gained confessions on. CIA doesn't do rapes and thefts. Ditto DIA or Customs. The Post Office police don't care about murders. NSA wouldn't give a rat's a__ about a child molester or a purse snatcher. The FBI might see fit to involve itself one way or another in all of those crimes, but it would be a stretch.
Maybe that's it. Your an FBI polygrapher. No wonder you don't like Drew Shocked

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

God Member

Reply #43 - Aug 12th, 2003 at 4:48am
orolan wrote on Aug 12th, 2003 at 4:38am:
Saidme,
Since you ignore your own "advice" and remain off-topic, I'll respond to your post.
I never claimed to have any law enforcement experience. What I do have is knowledge. Or do I? Please enlighten me, oh great one. Tell us what Federal LEA handles those types of cases. Agencies tend to "specialize" in a few different crimes, but none handles ALL of the types you claim to have gained confessions on. CIA doesn't do rapes and thefts. Ditto DIA or Customs. The Post Office police don't care about murders. NSA wouldn't give a rat's a__ about a child molester or a purse snatcher. The FBI might see fit to involve itself one way or another in all of those crimes, but it would be a stretch.
Maybe that's it. Your an FBI polygrapher. No wonder you don't like Drew Shocked

Orolan,
A pre-employment screen might result in confessions of all sorts, but hasn't Saidme remarked that he has never done those?

Skeptic

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box suethem
Very Senior User

Reply #44 - Aug 12th, 2003 at 4:50am
Saidme,

So now all ex-polygraphers are either at 'trembling woods' due to a loss of confidence-  "Doctor, I just can't take the pressure!"   

or

The polygraphers, who no longer believe in what they did, never really had the abilities to be good polygrapher in the first place (eventhough they got hired and passed all their 'extensive' training).

Only the weak or stupid ( I guess that includes the Supreme Court and the NAS) don't believe in polygraphy!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Gender, Ethnicity and Polygraphy

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X