Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Gender, Ethnicity and Polygraphy (Read 18234 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Saidme
Especially Senior User

Re: Gender, Ethnicity and Polygraphy
Reply #15 - Aug 5th, 2003 at 2:15am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Orolan

You seem to have an affinity for sex offenses.  Do I see a correlation? Grin

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box suethem
Very Senior User

Reply #16 - Aug 5th, 2003 at 7:54pm
Saidme,

You are still side stepping the issue.

Did you read the DODPI racial bias link?

What are your comments regarding the issue raised?

Your a federal polygrapher right?  An 1811?

Doesn't most of the training your receive originally come from the DODPI?

It would seem that information regarding racial bias coming from the most pro-polygraph source would carry some weight with a polygrapher.

Since you said that you do care about racial bias, maybe you can help me understand your postion.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #17 - Aug 5th, 2003 at 7:59pm
Saidme,
Knew you would bite on that one, since you also seem to have an "affinity" for sex offenses Wink I note that you don't dispute the allegation, though. Quite a common thing these days for you, all wind and no substance Grin
For the record, it is known on this board that I devote a lot of time and resources to the study of sex offenses as well as the psychology of offenders and victims.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Truth
Very Senior User

Reply #18 - Aug 5th, 2003 at 8:16pm
Saidme,

You can conduct a million exams for all I care, but that doesn't make the polygraph reliable and accurate. Having been on the user-end of the test and being scored deceptive when I wasn't was and is all the proof in the world to me that, aside from any well-grounded scientifc study - NAS comes to mind, the polygraph is a sham. You know it is, and we know you know it is.

There are differences in how certain demographics respond to the exam. One strike against you is intelligence/education - the more intelligent and educated the examinee is, the greater likelihood of being scored as a false positive. Source of that? Can't cite it at this time as it has been a few years since I've seen it, but I'll find it again. But that does fall in line with the NAS findings about how the exam is more likely to be biased against the honest person.

If an examinee believes in the validity of the polygraph, and intentionally tries to be deceitful and is scored that way, well, that's your bread and butter of proof of validity for you.

If you believe the polygraph is capable of detecting lies (those are layman terms of course, all it does is detect physiological responses, subject to "it is the expert opinion of this examiner that Mr. So-and-so is being deceptive"), then you, sir, are the liar.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #19 - Aug 6th, 2003 at 12:57am
Mr. Truth,
Quote:
Source of that? Can't cite it at this time...

Perhaps you speak of this?

A subject's intelligence may affect the results of a polygraph examination. Highly intelligent subjects may be able to anticipate or recognize relevant questions. This could lead to the subject being able to take counter measures to consciously avoid a stressful reaction. It could also lead to the subject's over sensitivity to the relevant questions and, thus, a stressful reaction. The reaction might be caused by deception or simply from stress from recognizing the relevance and significance of the question. 
See Id.;Scientific Validity of Polygraph Testing: A Research Review and Evaluation--ATechnical Memorandum, 85 (Washington, D.C.: U.S. Congress, Office of TechnologyAssessment, H.R. Doc. No. OTA-TM-H-15, November 1983)

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Truth
Very Senior User

Reply #20 - Aug 6th, 2003 at 1:13am
Yes, thank you.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Human Subject
Senior User

Reply #21 - Aug 6th, 2003 at 1:26am
orolan wrote on Aug 6th, 2003 at 12:57am:
A subject's intelligence may affect the results of a polygraph examination. Highly intelligent subjects may be able to anticipate or recognize relevant questions. This could lead to the subject being able to take counter measures to consciously avoid a stressful reaction. It could also lead to the subject's over sensitivity to the relevant questions and, thus, a stressful reaction. The reaction might be caused by deception or simply from stress from recognizing the relevance and significance of the question. 
See Id.;Scientific Validity of Polygraph Testing: A Research Review and Evaluation--ATechnical Memorandum, 85 (Washington, D.C.: U.S. Congress, Office of TechnologyAssessment, H.R. Doc. No. OTA-TM-H-15, November 1983)

Yeah, I've been looking for that for a long time.  Thanks.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #22 - Aug 9th, 2003 at 3:10am
Saidme, 

I posted this one a couple of days ago, you probably weren't online, but I am still interested in your response. 

Did you read the DODPI racial bias link? 

What are your comments regarding the issue raised? 

Your a federal polygrapher right?  An 1811? 

Doesn't most of the training your receive originally come from the DODPI? 

It would seem that information regarding racial bias coming from the most pro-polygraph source would carry some weight with a polygrapher. 

Since you said that you do care about racial bias, maybe you can help me understand your postion.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #23 - Aug 9th, 2003 at 5:15pm
Suethem

Right on all counts (examiner, DoDPI, 1811).  Yes, I've read the DODPI study on racial bias.  I don't give any of these studies (DoDPI, NAS, and anyone else's) a lot of weight.  Most of these studies are just snapshots in time which can be influenced by many variables.  Including ones agenda.  I believe DoDPI is an excellent training institution and produces quality and competent polygraph examiners.  Do a few knuckleheads slip through the cracks?  Occasionally (Drew did).  Are they a research institute?  I think they've got a ways to go before they reach that level.  Should they be a research institute would be a better questions.  I think not.  They should focus on what they do best - producing quality, competent polygraph examiners.  Regardless of what research material they put out, someone like you and your buddies will shoot it down, regardless of how valid or invalid.  There's just no pleasing some folks, period. Wink

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #24 - Aug 9th, 2003 at 7:32pm
Saidme,

Seems like if the director of the FBI selected Dr. Drew to analyze the polygraph and give his opinion, then Dr. Drew must have been held in high regard within the FBI Crime Lab community and HQ as well-  If he was a knucklehead, they probably wouldn't give him such an important task.   

It's the DODPI who's information raises the question of racial bias.  I would think that a "quality, competent' examiner would be troubled by the information.  If the DODPI study is not accurate, please tell me why and how?

It bothers me a little that you don't put faith in any of the studies pro or con.   Most professionals rely on the training and education that they received from their (training) agency.  If your operating on your own theories I would sure like to hear them. 

The me, my horse and my little black box stuff seems  unprofessional.  Individual experience is important but when its not married to standards and guidlines it degrades in quality.

Are you a federal probation officer?

« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2003 at 5:49am by suethem »  

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #25 - Aug 10th, 2003 at 6:05am
Saidme once told the board:
Quote:
My definition of "work and work well" would be the countless confessions I've obtained as a result of polygraph examinations.  Those same confession have landed murderers, rapists, child molesters, drug dealers, and thieves in jail.

And now this latest response:
Quote:
Right on all counts (examiner, DoDPI, 1811).

Anybody know what Federal Agency investigates all of the types of offenses Saidme listed?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anonymouse

Reply #26 - Aug 10th, 2003 at 3:14pm
"the truth" and "saidme" don't see too much of each other... I wouldn't put too much stock in anything an admitted professional liar has to say, here or anywhere else...

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #27 - Aug 10th, 2003 at 6:57pm
Orolan

I would venture to say almost all federal agencies run those type of cases.  Maybe your lack of law enforcement experience is shining through.

Anonymouse

No response for idiots.

Suethem

Just because someone has a lot of education and a grand title does not inherently make them smart.  I wonder what agenda Drew has that has not been plastered on this website!  Hmmmm.  Regarding your comments on the studies (pro and con).  The point I guess I was trying to make, albeit not very well, is that you guys have bashed DODPI from the very outset on everything from training polygraph examiners to their "biased" studies.  Then you turn right around and want to use a study they did that didn't necessarily come out in their favor.  You guys can't have it both ways.  Either they produce quality studies or they don't.  I've not made the determination in my own mind on those issues.  Regarding what I'm operating on.  That would be the information initially taught to me through DODPI along with continuing education programs all federal examiner's are required to maintain.  You attempt, albeit not very well, to paint a picture that I'm some rogue polygraph examiner out on the loose.  All agencies maintain a very strict quality control process.  So I guess to sum it all up I rely on my training from DODPI, continuing education, and personal experiences when it comes to running polygraph examinations.  And no, I'm not a federal probation officer.  I'm not even sure they have polygraph examiners. Wink 

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #28 - Aug 10th, 2003 at 7:03pm
By the way, I think these last few posts are getting off topic.  You can only beat a dead horse so much.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #29 - Aug 10th, 2003 at 8:49pm
Saidme,

Dr. Drew is probably very smart.  He is a Dr. and was a supervisory SA with the FBI.  Both of those are significant achievements.

As for Dr. Drew's agenda-

He was tasked, by the FBI, to study the PLQCT.  He did and discovered that it was worthless.   

The FBI  places a lot of institutional belief and $ in the PLCQT and their reaction is not surprising.

I am guessing that the FBI was not thrilled with Dr. Drew's results, but  you shouldn't ask questions if you don't want answers.

I wouldn't think that Dr. Drew's study helped his career at FBI.  It seems to me that the FBI does not like anyone to say anything that is not in line with their ideology. 

I would say that the good Dr. has a great deal of integrity to say that the PLCQT is worthless, knowing that his stance would not further ( and probably diminish) his career.

You both know that the test is bullshit, he's just got the backbone and moral fiber to come out with the truth.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Gender, Ethnicity and Polygraphy

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X