Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Calling his Bluff? (Read 13014 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mike Epps

Re: Calling his Bluff?
Reply #15 - Jul 25th, 2003 at 10:54pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Human Subject:

Did your examiner state he wasn't sure if you passed/failed? Mine would not tell me? Why wouldn't he give me his opinion????????

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Jul 27th, 2003 at 7:21pm
Saidme & George:

Isn't it true if examiners do not deem you as "DI," they still will try to make it seem you were not telling the truth before you leave the room? That's what I felt happened to me? Thank you again for your time!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #17 - Jul 27th, 2003 at 8:58pm
Mike Epps,

You are quite correct.  With a control question test (CQT) polygraph exam, you essentially either fail the control or the relevant questions (not that there is any connection to lie or truth telling, but there most definitely are real consequences following an arbitrary determination of deception or no deception rendered by the soothsayer/polygraph operator).  If you are found to be NDI, a polygraph examiner will let you know that you have "failed"/have significant responses to/were deceptive to, etc to the control questions.  The aspect of fraud which comes to play at this point (as was the case in reviewing the questions initially in the pre-test phase) is to make you believe/allow you to continue believe that these are relevant questions (perhaps of less importance than the ones you did "pass").  The good news is that you will no longer fall for this gambit, nor be left thinking that you are guilty of committing some heinous sin relevant to the job you are applying for, and should you be unfortunate to undergo such an exercise in foolishness again, you will know of the deception (not yours but theirs) in advance…forewarned is forearmed, yes?

IP Logged

Reply #18 - Jul 27th, 2003 at 10:06pm
THANK YOU!!! THAT"S WHAT I THOUGHT!!! I told the truth on ALL relevent questions. When asked if I ever told a white lie in my life...I told about stealing gum as a kid, but eveyone can go for days on this question, so I just left it with the gum. If you are deemed truthful on FBI "relevent" questions..Is that passing?? Why can't the examiner just let me go?? Why does he have to play games?? Very disturbing to me!!

IP Logged

Mike Epps,Re: Calling his Bluff?
Reply #19 - Jul 27th, 2003 at 11:18pm
Mike Epps,

You write:

Quote:
...THANK YOU!!! THAT"S WHAT I THOUGHT!!! I told the truth on ALL relevent questions. When asked if I ever told a white lie in my life...I told about stealing gum as a kid, but eveyone can go for days on this question, so I just left it with the gum. If you are deemed truthful on FBI "relevent" questions..Is that passing?? Why can't the examiner just let me go?? Why does he have to play games?? Very disturbing to me!!...

This is a very good question you ask, and one I don't remember having seen asked or answered on this board before.  You ask why the silly parting games with a deemed to be non-deceptive examinee.  Essentially there are two reasons.  The primary is a face saving one.  If the agency quality control group changes/overturns the examiner NDI call to an inconclusive or DI result.... and the examiner has already told you that you have some minor problems with relevant (really control issues) and he/she has to come back and tell you that the HQ group has overturned his initial opinion, then he/she doesn't appear to be quite the inept stargazer that he/she in fact is.  The second reason would be that you or somebody you know will likely take a polygraph exam in the future.  They want you to think the exam you took actually worked for future exam purposes.  If in fact you actually “beat it”, i.e., successfully lied on actual relevant questions, but they lied to you by telling you that you had problems on these lesser relevant (really control) questions, then perhaps you will think in the back of your mind that although you seemed to have gotten through without negative consequences that there really is something to this nonsense when you have to face it again.  But now you know...

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Jul 28th, 2003 at 1:54am
WOW..Thanks for replying! That is so shady!! I will be sure to let everyone know on here on my results. I expect them this upcoming week! I'm wondering if I should start my letter to Mr. Muller, or get ready to sell my house for a new FBI career (Very Stressfull!!) I know a couple of  my local Congressman real well. If I fail my poly, could they help me??

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Jul 28th, 2003 at 3:07pm
Thanks for the great info!! I will know my results this week. Right now I'm between writing my letter to "Mr. Muller," and finding a person to sell my house for a new FBI career. VERY STRESSFULL!!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Saidme
Especially Senior User

Reply #22 - Jul 28th, 2003 at 6:29pm
Mike

Sounds like you probably passed.  Actually, the examiner was probably doing you a favor.  Let's say you go on to have a successful FBI career and somewhere along the line someone makes a false allegation against you for police brutality or someother police related crime.  Generally, the examiner was probably setting you up for that exam that may never occur.  At the time it probably seemed uncomfortable but the examiner isn't doing it just to watch you squirm.  There's a reason behind everything.   Wink

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Jul 28th, 2003 at 7:39pm
Thanks "Saidme" for your good info!!

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Jul 28th, 2003 at 8:12pm
Mike Epps,

Re-read my last post containing an analysis of your NDI post-test with your examiner as well as Saidme's last post to you.  If you believe that nonsense was done for your benefit and not the polygrapher's, perhaps I could sell you the Brooklyn Bridge.  If your interests happen to coincide with the polygrapher's then so be it, but do not think for a second that they (your interests) will trump his own interests and motivations nor that they are necessarily the same.  Best of luck to you, remember this little exercise for when you obtain your desired job and are later confronted with polygraphy in any of the many ways you might be and keep us posted...

IP Logged

Reply #25 - Jul 28th, 2003 at 8:19pm
Thanks "Anonymous" All very true!!! I will post my results when I get them this week.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box JohnBoy

Reply #26 - Jul 28th, 2003 at 8:57pm
Mike Epps,

I took my poly a week and a half ago and still no word. Do they contact you either way? The wait is killing me!! I would like to believe that they let you know fairly quickly if you failed but I have seen other posts on this board where the individual received the "bad letter" two weeks after the test. I wish they would let me know either way......for the love of God!

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Jul 28th, 2003 at 9:03pm
John:

I know the wait is brutal!! I haven't slept more then four hours a night since the test. People don't realize this "BS" test determines our life!!! Anyway..normally the FBI will not contact you if you passed. If it's over two weeks then you should assume you past. You can call your application coord, or the HR in HQ to find out. My case is a little different, and I don't know why? My field office Coord. told me I should expect a call from him in a week either good/bad?

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Jul 28th, 2003 at 9:04pm
I MEAN PASSED!! Yikes!

IP Logged

Calling his Bluff?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X