Normal Topic Computer/digital Polys (Read 2301 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Hosed
New User

Computer/digital Polys
Jul 24th, 2003 at 1:50am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
   I have a heard a lot about the latest computerized polys complete with very sophisticated analysis software. I can see how these methods could EASILY work on the old analog or even some of the older digital ones. However, it would seem that with some sophisticated software, it would be easy to either spot deception or CMs. What's your take?

H

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Saidme
Especially Senior User

Re: Computer/digital Polys
Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2003 at 4:36am
Hosed

That seems to be an excellent name for your.  I'll give you an examiner's point of view.  The analysis software (polyscore and others) you discuss is so-so.  I think they've got a long way to go.  Regarding your CM's, their pretty easy to spot regardless of the crap George and Drew put out on this website.  My advice:  If you plan on using CM's in your examination, don't be too disappointed if you're called on the carpet about it.  I don't know if it's a pre-employment or specific issue, but odds are you'll probably be caught.  Make the right choice! Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2003 at 5:56pm
Hosed,
How could any person who has experienced the infamous Microsoft Windows "Blue Screen of Death" ever trust any type of software algorithm to detect deception?

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

New User

Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2003 at 6:10pm
Said Me:

You fail to mention ONE case where CMs are discovered unless the subject admits it.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2003 at 6:33pm
Hosed

You are correct, CM's can never be confirmed completely without admissions/confessions.  However, CM's can be detected by the examiner and in a pre-employment examination, it really doesn't matter whether you're DI or CM's are employed.  You'll most likely be DQ'd for either action.  Even lacking an admission/confession to the CM's.  In my experiences, examinee's who employ CM's usually go DI anyway and at the very best (for them) no opinion.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - Jul 28th, 2003 at 7:09pm
SaidMe:

Thanks. Just to let you know, I passed my POLY without CMs (I was too chicken to try them). However, I can recall when the "accusatory" questions were asked, I felt the anxiety build! I was truthful, but I thought for sure I was going to down in flames. However, I was passed without any problems. The only question that was asked to me was if I was having trouble with a particular control question (the funny thing was, that was probably one I was more comfortable with-so whether that was theatrics or not, I dunno. )

Who Knows…we may be working together one day and won’t know it.

P.S. I still feel that these tests are biased against truthful individuals.   

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #6 - Jul 28th, 2003 at 7:57pm
Hosed

Congratulations!  I'm sure you're on your way to a successful law enforcement career.  Regarding your last comment:  Actually polygraphs (testing techniques/evaluations) are designed to favor the examinee.   Smiley

IP Logged

Computer/digital Polys

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X