Normal Topic Race and hiring (Read 3247 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box suethem
Very Senior User

Race and hiring
Jul 22nd, 2003 at 7:06pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  

I was the range the other day shooting the breeze with several buds and we were talking about who gets hired and why.

I offered that I should have put Native American as my race, instead of white (My great grandfather was NA).  I said it not really being too serious.

But  a couple of the guys sounded off that it would increase my chances of getting hired and that I should change it.

At the HQ of a major police department I was struck by a sign that said, "Now hiring minorities and women" right on the recruiters door.  So it kind of resounded.

Can one change their racial identity bubble on future applications?

How much NA ancestry do you have to have to be considered NA?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Re: Race and hiring
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2003 at 8:54pm
Suethem,
The US Census Bureau defines "Native American" in this way:

"People having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America), and who maintain tribal affiliation or community attachment."
In your case, the "tribal affiliation" may be the stumbling block. Are you a "member" of a tribe or go to those annual Pow-wows they have?
Tribes have differing requirements regarding degrees of ethnicity to be considered a member. Odds are that you would be eligible for tribal membership. If your great-grandfather was NA, but his wife was not, and the subsequent descendants did not have NA spouses, you are 1/8 NA. Most tribes start the cutoff at 1/16.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box suethem
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2003 at 9:33pm
Orolan,

thanks for the reply.

No I don't have membership and I haven't gone to any tribal meetings.

The family believes that my great grandfather was a semi-professional hockey player in the Candian league.  He had one child, my grandmother, lost his wife, and then was asked to leave town a few years later.  Other family members raised my grandmother.  It would be hard to track down, but is interesting none the less.

That part of my family is from northern Michigan so I guess my great grandfather could have been Chippewa, Huron or another tribe (although he could have been from one of many tribes).

I will look into it more as a curiosity than anything else.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Jul 22nd, 2003 at 11:46pm
Suethem,
I'm fortunate in that my cousin has devoted most of her adult life to researching our ancestry. If I need to know something, I just call her Smiley

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Race and hiring

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X