Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Paging George W. Maschke (Read 7510 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Captain_Truth
New User

Paging George W. Maschke
Jul 22nd, 2003 at 4:55pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
question for you.  After reading your book, I am curious as to what you think is the best way to actually practice for the test?

It seems I could be doing more than sitting in a chair timing my breathing.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Paging George W. Maschke
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2003 at 6:10pm
You might try tape recording a question series and playing it back as you practice your countermeasures. You'll find sample question series in the appendices of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. You could select a set of relevant, irrelevant, and "control" questions of the kind you expect to encounter, write them down in some of the orders described in the book, and then read them in a monotone voice at 20-30 second intervals. Then play the tape back as you sit in a chair and practice the techniques described in Chapter 4.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2003 at 6:55pm
cool...thanks!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Batman
Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Jul 23rd, 2003 at 9:19pm
You might also try standing on your head in the corner while sucking water through a straw, and humming Amazing Grace on a kazoo!

Damn George, you have one hell of a sense of humor!  Here all this time I thought you were serious about this countermeasure crap.  Now I know you're just yanking everyones chain.

Capt Truth, I suggest you simply go to bed every night telling yourself, "I am a good boy, I am a good boy...."
If that doesn't work, then eat a bunch of raisins and prunes, then when you feel the urge to hit the shitter, simply follow the adivce of Archie Bell and the Drells, "Do The Tightin' Up".

BATMAN

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Captain Truth

Reply #4 - Jul 23rd, 2003 at 10:17pm
Batman wrote on Jul 23rd, 2003 at 9:19pm:
You might also try standing on your head in the corner while sucking water through a straw, and humming Amazing Grace on a kazoo!

Damn George, you have one hell of a sense of humor!  Here all this time I thought you were serious about this countermeasure crap.  Now I know you're just yanking everyones chain.

Capt Truth, I suggest you simply go to bed every night telling yourself, "I am a good boy, I am a good boy...."
If that doesn't work, then eat a bunch of raisins and prunes, then when you feel the urge to hit the shitter, simply follow the adivce of Archie Bell and the Drells, "Do The Tightin' Up".

BATMAN

IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - Jul 23rd, 2003 at 10:19pm
batman, why do you have such disdain for george?  are you a polygrapher?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anonymous1

Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2003 at 10:46pm
Captain_Truth wrote on Jul 23rd, 2003 at 10:19pm:
batman, why do you have such disdain for george?  are you a polygrapher?

He's using a technique known as lampooning, whereupon he attempts (unsuccessfully) to ridicule the exact methods that would be the most productive at thwarting his little machine. Be assured, the more sarcastic he is, the more potent the advice to which he is responding.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #7 - Jul 23rd, 2003 at 11:25pm
And here I thought I was using the R&I technique, sometimes known as the Ridiculous & Idiotic Technique, whereupon I attempt to show just how stupid some of the advice given on this site really is.

Capt T,

I don't disdain George, I just dis him!  I save the dain for folks I really hate.   

I'll tell you my story if you tell me yours.  Since you started, YES, I'm a polygraph examiner.  Now my turn, are you really a Captain?  If so, of what, Industry, a fire department, the military?  Now we all know who Batman is, or Superman, or even Captain America; but who or what in the hell is Captain_Truth?

If you're still curious about the really best way to practice for the test, I'll give you a hint: 'Yes/No'.  There's the answers bud.  Simpy keep saying them over and over and you'll have all the practice you'll need.

BATMAN

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box suethem
Very Senior User

Reply #8 - Jul 23rd, 2003 at 11:55pm
Batman,

It would seem that you have been yanking your own chain when you spout off about how countermeasurses  don't work.

Looks like some of Sadam's boys have proved that they work quite well.

Since these polygraphers are dealing with the most sensative national security issuses, one can only assume (hope) that they are the best.

If countermeasures work against the cream of the crop....

I also wonder what the probable lie for Sadam's goons were?

"Other than murdering 50 people, torturing hundreds, and stealing candy from the candy store when you were five,  have you ever...?"    

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #9 - Jul 24th, 2003 at 12:06am
Hey Shit for Brains,

I don't know if I've ever said that CM's don't work (but I'm sure George or Beech Trees will tell me if I did).

What I have said is that they can be detected when used, but I think I've even acknowledged that on occasion they are not detected.

You need to go to more baseball games so you can learn to root, root, root for the home team, asshole.  If some of Sadaam's boys did in fact beat the polygraph, why do you have to take such pleasure in it?

BATMAN

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box suethem
Very Senior User

Reply #10 - Jul 24th, 2003 at 12:34am
Batman,

Let's keep it civil-

I love America, my friend.  This is the best country ever.  Always has been, always will be!

I take no joy in the fact that these guys beat the polygraph. 

The point is that it can be beaten by people and therfore the results have little merit.

Foreign agents study our methods and techniques and obviously realize that the polygraph is a sham and are prepared enough to beat it.  That we put any faith in it to stop enemy agents is ridiculous- didn't stop the cubans, won't stop anyone else.

Now that the information on how to beat the polygraph is widely known and distributed from many different sources, the value of the polygraph is even less.

I root for the team as much as anyone! 

My criticism is only of those who would put faith in foolhearty measures.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Saidme
Especially Senior User

Reply #11 - Jul 24th, 2003 at 4:45am
Although the posts for this one are extremely entertaining, I'll just respond to dipsh&%@, I mean Capt Truth.  Although I do have an excellent technique I've come up with called harpooning (involves alcohol and big women).

Capt Truth

You're title alone makes me ill.  You have the nerve to discuss truth while you're practicing CM's!  What a butt head.  Don't go whining to you're examiner when he puts you're feet to the fire on using them. Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Public Servant
Very Senior User

Reply #12 - Jul 24th, 2003 at 7:20am
CT,

Why do you need to practice?  Do you plan to avoid detection on a relevant issue?  What is your reason for taking this exam?

Why not try taking the exam honestly and avoid the possiblility of being caught empolying countermeasures?   

Try to avoid being poisoned both by the content of this site and by the comments of the other examiner posts.  I'm sure you wil be met by an examiner with a very professional demeanor who is there to objectively administer your exam.  This site just seems to bring out the worst in some of us, sometimes.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #13 - Jul 24th, 2003 at 8:22am
Public Servant,

You wrote, "Why not try taking the exam honestly and avoid the possiblility of being caught empolying countermeasures?"

Two problems with the foregoing advice:

1) The polygraph "test" is theoretically dependant on the subject being less than honest when answering the "control" questions.

2) Not using countermeasures does not eliminate the possibility of being accused of countermeasures. In studies by Charles R. Honts and collaborators, even experienced polygraphers could not detect countermeasures at better-than-chance levels of accuracy, and polygraphers' opinions that subjects had employed countermeasures had no correlation to actual countermeasure use.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #14 - Jul 24th, 2003 at 3:53pm
Quote:
CT,

Why do you need to practice?  Do you plan to avoid detection on a relevant issue?  What is your reason for taking this exam?

Why not try taking the exam honestly and avoid the possiblility of being caught empolying countermeasures?  

Try to avoid being poisoned both by the content of this site and by the comments of the other examiner posts.  I'm sure you wil be met by an examiner with a very professional demeanor who is there to objectively administer your exam.  This site just seems to bring out the worst in some of us, sometimes.

I was interested in CM because thjis job is very important and if 10% of the stories I have read are true, I may get raked over the coals for something I am innocent of and stand the chance of not getting this very important job.

I have been 100% honest during the investigation phase,  confessing to every embarrassing detail I was asked, but I don't want to take chances.

And to the guy who called me a dipshit for using Captain Truth........get a sense of humor.......it sounds like a prison in these message boards, everyone is 100% innocent, so it was a joke.......

IP Logged

Paging George W. Maschke

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X