Normal Topic Interesting Study Involving Polygraphs (Read 1533 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Human Subject
Senior User

Interesting Study Involving Polygraphs
Jul 17th, 2003 at 2:15am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I thought this was interesting.  Seems to show that polygraphs can induce honesty in some cases.

The researchers didn't really "use" polygraphs as anything other than props -- although we could probably argue about whether they are ever used as anything more than this.

Also interesting to me is the research design itself.  I'm sort of surprised you could get this past a human subjects committee.  The researchers are sort of lying to the subjects by leading them to believe they are being polygraphed.  I wonder what they said if any subjects asked if the machine was on or not?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1516&ncid=1516&e=4&u=/afp/200307...

Women lie about sex more than men: study

Tue Jul 15, 1:09 PM ET  Add Offbeat - AFP to My Yahoo! 

NEW YORK (AFP) - Women are more likely to lie about their sex lives than men, according to a new US study involving a fake lie detector test. 

The study by psychologists Terri Fisher at Ohio State University and Michele Alexander at Maine University offers a new solution to a paradox that has puzzled sex experts for decades. 

In survey after survey, heterosexual men average more sexual partners than women -- a statistically impossible situation. 

Conventional wisdom had dictated that a man's desire to significantly exaggerate his sexual promiscuity was responsible for the anomaly, but the latest study -- published in the Journal of Sex Research -- suggests it is the women who are being economical with the truth. 

Women change their answers depending on whether or not they believe their responses will remain anonymous or they will be caught lying, the researchers found. The number of sexual partners a woman reported nearly doubled when women thought they were hooked up to a lie detector machine. 

"Women are more sensitive to social expectations for their sexual behaviour and may be less than honest when asked about their behaviour in some survey conditions," said Fisher. 

According to Fisher, women appeared to feel under pressure to meet expectations of being more relationship-orientated and not promiscuous. 

Fisher and Alexander surveyed over 200 unmarried, heterosexual college students aged 18 to 25. 

One group filled in questionnaires having been told the researcher might view their responses. A second group filled in the survey alone in a room and were assured the results would be strictly confidential. 

A third group were rigged up to a polygraph or lie detector -- although they were not told the machine no longer worked. 

Women who thought their responses might be read said they had had an average of 2.6 sexual partners, compared with 3.4 partners for those who thought their answers were anonymous. 

Those who believed they were attached to a polygraph reported an average of 4.4 partners. 

"You would assume that when a heterosexual man has sex, a woman is having sex at the same time, but the statistics always suggest otherwise," Fisher said. 

"That can't be true. We thought males would be over-inflating their experience ... but that's not what we found."

Under the same conditions, men's answers did not vary significantly. Those attached to the lie-detector reported an average of 4.0 partners compared with 3.7 for men who thought their answers would be read.

IP Logged

Interesting Study Involving Polygraphs

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X