Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) I passed - and it was still horrible.... (Read 11764 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Saidme
Especially Senior User

Re: I passed - and it was still horrible....
Reply #15 - Jul 16th, 2003 at 3:43am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
About time you guys (or gals) came out in force.  You get real sensitive about that coveted holy grail you call the NAS Study.  I can't respond to all of you but s-X-e put a quote from the NAS Study in here that sums it all up:

"The quality of studies varies considerably, but falls far short of what is desirable. Laboratory studies suffer from lack of realism, and in the randomized controlled studies focused on specific incidents using mock crimes, the consequences associated with lying or being judged deceptive almost never mirror the seriousness of these actions in real-world settings in which the polygraph is used. Field studies have major problems with identifying the truth against which test results should be judged. In addition, they suffer from problems associated with heterogeneity and lack of control of extraneous factors and more generally, they have lower quality than could be achieved with careful study design. Moreover, most of the research, in both the laboratory and in the field, does not fully address key potential threats to validity. For these reasons, study results cannot be expected to generalize to practical contexts." 

This statement pretty much sums it up.  You can never conduct a true validity assessment unless you use real cases.  I think I've made this point with the big guy (George).  Once again I will reiterate, I'm not concerned with the scientific validity of polygraph.  I know as an investigative tool it works quite well.  I don't have any study to back me up but I have 20+ years of law enforcement interviews and interrogations to back it up.  All this website does is (in my view) extend the length of the interrogation/interview but in the end we get the same results.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #16 - Jul 16th, 2003 at 3:59am
Saidme,

You write:

Quote:
...All this website does is (in my view) extend the length of the interrogation/interview but in the end we get the same results....

With regard to the CQT polygraph-assisted interviews that are conducted today you are quite correct...they were nearly worthless before the existence of this site and they are nearly worthless now.  The goal of this site is not to change that which you have traditionallly practiced, but to end it.  This has obviously not yet been accomplished, but stay tuned...  Grin

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box suethem
Very Senior User

Reply #17 - Jul 16th, 2003 at 4:34am
Saidme,

You never answered my questions about Dr. Drew Richardson's findings about the CQT?

Was he wrong too?  

Are you a polyscore man?  Or do you use another system?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #18 - Jul 16th, 2003 at 5:43am
Saidme,
Personally, I have a new "Holy Grail" regarding the validity of the polygraph, and it meets the criteria the research used by the NAS does not. It is a real-world test, not a laboratory simulation, and the consequences of being found deceptive were quite real in the minds of the participants.

What is this new "Holy Grail"? It is the ELEVEN people who failed their polygraphs in the Molly Bish investigation. This is no "slap in the face". More like "run over by a Mack truck".

Perhaps the examiner who administered these examinations doesn't have the "interrogation" skills you have Undecided

What I'm waiting to hear now is that the DNA evidence doesn't finger ANY of the eleven who failed. I won't stop laughing for a week.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box s-X-e
User

Reply #19 - Jul 16th, 2003 at 7:17am
Saidme wrote on Jul 16th, 2003 at 3:43am:
Once again I will reiterate, I'm not concerned with the scientific validity of polygraph.  I know as an investigative tool it works quite well.  I don't have any study to back me up but I have 20+ years of law enforcement interviews and interrogations to back it up.

I will agree easily that the polygraph is probably awesome at getting confessions out of guilty people. However, as a tool for determining lies from truth, I think it's lack of scientific validity makes it worse than worthless. If you are going to argue that for the polygraph to work well, all it needs to do is get people to confess, then yes, it does work well. But what about those examinees who do not confess, and maintain sincerely that they have not lied during their exam? Without a sound scientific basis to back up the instrument's readings, you cannot conclusively say that they were deceptive.

At best, it is a convincing prop.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #20 - Jul 16th, 2003 at 2:38pm
Saidme,

DoDPI (and DOE) were represented at all of the public meetings held by the NAS's Committee to Review the Scientific Evidence on the Polygraph, and a number of Committee members also visited DoDPI (as well the DOE's test center in Albuquerque and the CIA's polygraph division). Representatives of other federal polygraph programs also attended the Committee's public meetings and participated in the discussions that were held. Your mistaken belief that DoDPI was not consulted suggests that you have not even bothered to read the report (The Polygraph and Lie Detection) that you so casually dismiss as "bullshit."

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #21 - Jul 16th, 2003 at 3:55pm
You are correct, I just skimmed it.  Bullshit nevertheless. Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box suethem
Very Senior User

Reply #22 - Jul 16th, 2003 at 6:32pm
Saidme,

Is Dr. Drew Richardson's findings on the CQT bullshit too?

Your still here right?  The mother ship hasn't scooped you up yet has it ?

What about polyscore?  Are you a polyscore man?

Are you a APA guy as well?

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #23 - Jul 16th, 2003 at 8:41pm
I don't know much about Dr Drew.  As I've seen on this website PhD stands for piled high and deeper.  I think that was the way they characterized Mr Gelb.  I haven't read anything on how Drew feels about CQT and I really don't care what he thinks.  I use the technique regularly with excellent results.  So in a nutshell, if Drew has a problem with it then yes, bullshit would be appropriate.

Polyscore is a bunch of crap.  Great for interrogations though.

Former APA member.  They really provided nothing of value.

Gotta go back to Cloud city. Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anonymouse

Reply #24 - Jul 16th, 2003 at 11:37pm
Saidme wrote on Jul 16th, 2003 at 3:55pm:
You are correct, I just skimmed it.  Bullshit nevertheless. Wink

Not many men would be brave enough to admit they condemn a report they haven't actually read. Bravo polygrapher!

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #25 - Jul 17th, 2003 at 1:59am
Read, skimmed, what's the difference!  Examiner's tend to lose interest as soon as they see the bias involved.  Not really brave, just a good dose of reality.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box s-X-e
User

Oh please.
Reply #26 - Jul 17th, 2003 at 3:40am
Saidme wrote on Jul 17th, 2003 at 1:59am:
Read, skimmed, what's the difference!  Examiner's tend to lose interest as soon as they see the bias involved.  Not really brave, just a good dose of reality.

What bias? You keep making a claim that the NAS' findings were biased, but you've provided nothing to support that claim except stating that it "could be" biased because of some cooky conspiracy theory that the NAS and DOE were in league together to destroy polygraphy. While I can appreciate such a goal, I don't think the members on the NAS panel are so corrupt that they would produce bogus findings for a major study.

If you know something I don't that supports your claim that the report was biased, then I would be very interesting in hearing what it is. 

IP Logged

I passed - and it was still horrible....

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X