Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) I passed - and it was still horrible.... (Read 11747 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

I passed - and it was still horrible....
Jul 14th, 2003 at 1:07am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Just thought I would post a little bit about my experience with a Pre-employment polygraph.  I would be interested to hear from others what they think about what happened to me.

I have been working on contract with a LE agency for about 2 years.  I have enjoyed the work and my co-workers and have found the environment to be a good place to work.  Recently new management took over our area.  A few months ago, the new manager asked me to think about coming to work for them permanently, and I couldn't think of any good reason not to - and I could think of a few good reasons why I should.  Plans have been in the works since then to bring me on full-time in the fall.

Our department is involved in the support of the IT systems for this LEA, and as such we have the potential to be in contact with sensitive information.  Standard operating procedure is to polygraph anyone that will be working with the most sensitive data - This is a very small group.  3 weeks ago, they polygraphed a few people who would be starting a new project, including a contractor who had been there for a while.  (Let's call him "meathead".)  On the day of the interview, Meathead never came back.  POOF! He's gone!  He came in to work as usual that morning, went for his test and never came back.  Apparently, he didn't get very far into his pre-test interview and was DQ'ed.  They never even hooked him up - he made some sort of admission and was eliminated.

Last week, the new boss shows up in my office with the pre-test questionaire and tells me that because Meathead had not been truthful on his original application, and because Meathead had raised everyone's anxiety about "personal lifestyle" that every new hire would be polygraphed from here on in.  I was to be the first.   

I had been lurking on the site here for a while, ever since the group that included Meathead was told they would be polygraphed.  I have also been reading on other sites that claim the polygraph is very accurate.  And let me be perfectly honest - most of the posts and information here sounds like it comes from bitter, unhappy and perhaps guilty people seeking to blame their bad experiences with telling the truth on a machine.  I didn't really know what to believe, however I do know:  DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ - ESPECIALLY ON THE INTERNET.

So - given that Meathead had just been evaporated, and that what I was reading here was making me very uneasy - I WAS VERY NERVOUS ABOUT GOING THROUGH THE EXAM.  However, I felt in my case I had a little to lose - my contract would expire anyways if I chose not to take the test - I all I would be doing would be hastening the day of my departure.  Besides, I had never done anything that bad in my past - and the little that I had was done a LONG time ago. 

I had nothing to lose - right?  read on....

I read the BLTBLTBLT (good gravy, you know what I mean) and practiced the countermeasures in the mirror.  I figured that I did not have time to master them, and I would be detected.  Furthermore, as I thought about using the countermeasures I could feel my stress levels rising.  Lastly, I figured using countermeasures is NOT ethical, despite the arguments here to the contrary.

SO - I resolved to go to the exam, tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth and trust the machine and the human running it.

I showed up about 10 minutes early, shook hands with the interrogator vigorously and we got started.  It turned out my examiner was a woman and she made every effort to make me comfortable and to make my stress level subside.  We started going through the pre-test interview and I gave her a FULL download of my history.  I told her EVERYTHING - she knows me better now than my wife.  Anything that I had done, things even that I had felt bad about but that were very irrelevant, I told her.   

I could feel myself becoming more and more nervous as time went on, as I realized that I had done more "stuff" than I thought - and that I was NOT going to be calm on the machine.  The whole process was stirring up a lot of old memories and making me feel quite agitated.   

We talked about the death of my young daughter, the fact that my wife had some sexual hang-ups, and that I had been in some good fights when I played sports.  I could also feel my anger rising that I was 1) playing right into her hands and was singing like a bird and 2) that I was sharing every intimate and private detail of my life with a total stranger who was taking notes and video taping the whole affair.  I had visions of a bored HR clerk having a good laugh as she read my file to keep herself amused in the months to come.  I had visions of the same clerk sharing her laughs with her friends and eventually everything getting back to my parents and my wife.  I started to get quite angry and resentful, and knew instantly that this wasn't going to help when they finally hooked me up.  This immediately set up a feedback loop that made me even more stressed about my stress.  And so on...

After about an hour and a half she told me to keep my answers brief or we weren't going to get done.  MORE STRESS!  How could I take the test with a clear conscience if I couldn't give her the full story of why I took the quarter from the cushions of the couch when I was 12???

Finally, she hooked me up and we started the test.  My anxiety and stress was at an all time high.  When we started the test, the control questions went fine and so did the first two or three questions.  (They were along the lines of "are you withholding information relating to your involvement in....").  After about the 5th or 6th question I felt my heart miss a beat as an image popped in to my mind of a traumatic incident from my younger days.  Not a criminal event, not even that serious for most people, but something that had happened to me that was unhappy. (No - I was not abused as a child, just a tramautic / extremely embarrassing event.)  As soon as my heart skipped a beat, I started to REALLY stress - SHE IS GOING TO THINK I AM LYING ABOUT THAT QUESTION!!!  My heart started to race - I couldn't calm down.

After the 2nd round of questions were done, the examiner told me to calm down or I was going to fail the test.  I mustered every once of self control and did the third round OK.  At the end she commented that she thought I had gone to sleep on this one.

Later, She did the typical "why are you stressed out about this question?  Only you know the truth, and you aren't telling it!".  I looked her in the eye and said "There is ABSOLUTELY nothing about me that you don't know".  She asked "what were you thinking when I asked that question?".  I told her.  She said "did that really happen to you".  I said "Yes".  She said, "no problem, that explains it, you are free to go."

I got the job offer day before yesterday.

My analysis:  The process is a HUGE psych job to get you to spill your guts.  If the EXAMINER thinks you are telling the truth - you're good.  If the EXAMINER thinks you are lying - you're toast.  The instrument is sensitive, and detects physiological changes.  It can't tell if those changes are due to your emotional state or what.  If your body decides to have a little panic attack for no reason, then you will fail.

If you are an intelligent, introspective person given to telling the truth and leading a good life, the deck is stacked against you.  I fear that the only people that can confidently pass the exam are either dummies or pathological liars.   

I am glad it is over, and I would NEVER wish the experience on anyone.   

Would love to hear some thoughts, especially from those who are examiners themselves.  Is my story unusual?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box suethem
Very Senior User

Re: I passed - and it was still horrible....
Reply #1 - Jul 14th, 2003 at 10:50pm
The polygraph has been scientifically tested by the National Academy of Sciences ( the top scientists in the country) and it failed.

Many people  claim many things on the internet, but the National Academy of Sciences finding is not made up.

Neither is the testimony of Dr Drew Richarson, formerly of the FBI crime lab, who was directed to review the scientific evidence behind the polygraph.  Just because the FBI did not like his findings, doesn't make those findings any less real or valid.

I am glad that you got your job.  Maybe your polygrapher believed you because you spilled your guts. Maybe she believed you because you responded 'correctly' on the control questions.  Maybe the moon was aligned with her crystal necklace- who knows.

The point is that when a diagnostic tool (the polygraph) has been scientifically proven to be inaccruate, the findings can have no merit. 

Even polygraphers know this.  But, they also know that enough of the 'tested' population hasn't got a clue to the unscientific nature of the 'test'.   Those who confess are seen as proof that the machine  works, in their eyes.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Saidme
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Jul 14th, 2003 at 11:11pm
Anonymous

Congratulations for not only passing your polygraph examination but declining to use CM's.  I am an examiner and yes (unfortunately) people who pass polygraph examinations will walk out scratching their heads.  It's in the past.  Go out and do good work.

Suethem

You wrote:  "The polygraph has been scientifically tested by the National Academy of Sciences" 

Are you certain that is an accurate assessment of the NAS study?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Jul 14th, 2003 at 11:20pm
Saidme,

The National Academy of Sciences didn't conduct its own scientific tests of the polygraph, as Suethem's post suggests. Rather, the NAS conducted a review of the existing scientific research on the polygraph. Suethem is correct, however, in noting that the polygraph failed this review. See, The Polygraph and Lie Detection (National Academies Press, 2003).

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Jul 14th, 2003 at 11:22pm
George

Thank you for providing clarification.   Wink

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #5 - Jul 15th, 2003 at 4:25am
Saidme,

Can you provide me another clarification?

Have the majority of the specific incident polygraphs that you have given been of the PLCQT style?

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #6 - Jul 15th, 2003 at 4:40am
Suethem

That would be correct.  An excellent technique that works quite well.  Don't give me that bullshit about scientific validity and what not.  You guys rant and rave about the NAS "study".  All they did was read a bunch of material generated over that past 60 years and somehow came up with conclusions.  That's a hell of a research project by our nations scientists.  You would think if they were serious about checking "scientific validity" they would do their own research.  What a farce.  The only reason they came up with the negative conclusions they did was because their buddies (other scientists) over at DOE whined about having to undergo a polygraph examination.  Makes you wonder how valid their little study really was!!!!  Sorry guys, had to get on my soap box.  I get real tired of all the whiners on this website.  In the words of George Bush, bring em on. Angry

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #7 - Jul 15th, 2003 at 5:27am
Saidme,

Let me get this straight, and if I am not accurate you (or anyone else) can correct me...

The National Academy of Sciences (all of the scientists and staff who conducted the review) conspired against the greater polygraph community because the polygraphers were picking on the NAS's friends over at the DOE.

...and then the black helicopters, fueled by crack sales from south central, lifted off for the cloud city that only a special few people in the 'comittee' know about...

I suppose that Dr. Drew's conclusions are also part of the conspiracy?  

Does Doug Williams have friends at the DOE too?

Maybe its time for that vacation everybody has been telling you to take...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box s-X-e
User

Reply #8 - Jul 15th, 2003 at 6:07am
Saidme wrote on Jul 15th, 2003 at 4:40am:
Suethem

That would be correct.  An excellent technique that works quite well.  Don't give me that bullshit about scientific validity and what not.  You guys rant and rave about the NAS "study".

Scientific validity is a fundamental component of any forensic technology. That you can dismiss it as "bullshit" so casually makes me wonder if you would object to your department suddenly relying on coin tosses and magic 8-balls to screen applicants. Why exactly do you hold scientific validity in such low regard?

Quote:
All they did was read a bunch of material generated over that past 60 years and somehow came up with conclusions.  That's a hell of a research project by our nations scientists.  You would think if they were serious about checking "scientific validity" they would do their own research.  What a farce.

How exactly would you conduct a research project? I don't see anything wrong with reviewing the available evidence and forming a conclusion based on it. Do you have some reason to believe that the research they reviewed was inaccurate? If so, why?

Quote:
The only reason they came up with the negative conclusions they did was because their buddies (other scientists) over at DOE whined about having to undergo a polygraph examination.  Makes you wonder how valid their little study really was!!!!

....makes me wonder if you have any evidence to support such a claim.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #9 - Jul 15th, 2003 at 3:27pm
Suethem

I think you're fianlly getting the full picture.  Who told you about the Cloud city?  Did Doc Drew tell you?  Doug's never been to Cloud city.   We may have to polygraph some of our own.  Batman lives in Cloud city.

s-X-e

I'm dismissing as bullshit what you deem research.  If they wanted to do their own independent research then I would imagine that would include conducting their own studies, polygraphs, etc....  Wouldn't you agree?  I don't have anything against scientific validity, I just don't think we need to get hung up on it when it comes to polygraph.  George is pushing this scientific validity crap to further his own cause because his feelings were hurt when he was rejected by the FBI.    Polygraph works and works well.   

Regarding your last comment I'm not sure what you're driving at there.  My point is:  Can fellow scientists conduct an unbiased research study after a bunch of whiners from DOE come crying?  I doubt it and as of this date, they haven't.

IP Logged

User

Reply #10 - Jul 15th, 2003 at 7:30pm
Saidme wrote on Jul 15th, 2003 at 3:27pm:
s-X-e

I'm dismissing as bullshit what you deem research.  If they wanted to do their own independent research then I would imagine that would include conducting their own studies, polygraphs, etc....  Wouldn't you agree?

Not exactly. I see no reason to start from scratch when there is already a plethora of information available, supplied from both polygraph proponents and those opposed to polygraphy. Again, unless you have a reason for believing the available information on polygraphy is inaccurate, I don't see why it can't be used as a reference.

Also, it seems as if the pro-polygraph community is unwilling to cooperate with any studies that might conclusively invalidate the polygraph. Jerking the NSA around on the CM issue shows that they are more concerned with obscuring the truth than they are with making it known.

Quote:
I don't have anything against scientific validity, I just don't think we need to get hung up on it when it comes to polygraph.

Of course.  Roll Eyes

Quote:
George is pushing this scientific validity crap to further his own cause because his feelings were hurt when he was rejected by the FBI.    Polygraph works and works well.

I too would push "this scientific validity crap" if an important job was denied to me because of some "test" that has no scientific basis behind it. Wouldn't you be mad if a potential employer told you, "I can't hire you because my tea leaves tell me you've done drugs in the past"?

I agree that scientific validity usually only becomes important to people after they've failed, but I don't see anything wrong with that. Those who pass have no reason to research polygraphy. It's only those who fail and don't understand why that look for answers. 

Quote:
Regarding your last comment I'm not sure what you're driving at there.  My point is:  Can fellow scientists conduct an unbiased research study after a bunch of whiners from DOE come crying?  I doubt it and as of this date, they haven't.

I have to disagree with your claim that the NAS study was biased simply because "fellow scientists" working at the DOE were upset over having to take polygraphs. It would help if you had any evidence to back up your claim. Right now it sounds as if you're speculating. Second, what about the study do you consider to be inaccurate, and why?

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #11 - Jul 15th, 2003 at 7:57pm
s-X-e

You wrote:

"I see no reason to start from scratch when there is already a plethora of information available, supplied from both polygraph proponents and those opposed to polygraphy."

Based on the claims of many on this website, polygraph basically has no shred of validity.  Why would you rely on past information provided by pro-polygraph organizations?  Wouldn't it be more prudent to start from scratch.  If a research team is going to draw conclusions from their study, shouldn't it be their study?  How could they draw conclusions on other researchers information unless they duplicated the process.  I think you guys like to use the term empirical evidence.  In fact I think they (NAS) cited one of the polygraph studies as "flawed."  Was it flawed because they tried to duplicate the study?  Unfortunately that wasn't the case.

If I'm not mistaken, the NAS did not seek any assistance from DODPI.  I'm not 100% on that but I believe that to be the case.  Maybe someone from DODPI could chime in on that.   

Most who fail know the answer.  They were deceptive.   I will concede there are a few exceptions to the rule.  Nothing is 100%. 

Regarding the scientists who conducted the study.  Is it your belief that no way, no how they could be biased?  What if the study were conducted by polygraph examiners?  Would you find it flawed?  Would you believe there could be bias?  Of course you would.

Let's not throw rocks about speculation.  There's enough of that going on from both sides.   

Regarding the study, I put no validity (there's that word again) in their findings.  They didn't do any research.  They regurgitated previously reported information.  Smiley

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #12 - Jul 16th, 2003 at 1:30am
Saidme,

Are Dr. Drew Richardson's findings bogus too?

Since nothing is 100% , what percent of accuracy would you rate the polygraph at?

How many polygraph's have you given?

IP Logged

User

Reply #13 - Jul 16th, 2003 at 2:28am
Saidme wrote on Jul 15th, 2003 at 7:57pm:
s-X-e

You wrote:

Based on the claims of many on this website, polygraph basically has no shred of validity.  Why would you rely on past information provided by pro-polygraph organizations?  Wouldn't it be more prudent to start from scratch.

The NAS was charged with determining the validity of polygraphy. This requires an objective analysis of all available information. Whether or not the people here, on this board, believe that the polygraph is invalid does not automatically mean that the NAS does, and should not do a comprehensive review of the available evidence provided by both sides. Asking the NAS to conduct their own study is like asking a jury to conduct their own investigation of a crime instead of letting the defense and prosecution present their cases.

Quote:
If a research team is going to draw conclusions from their study, shouldn't it be their study?

It was their study. They did the interviews, they reviewed the research, and it was their conclusions. To say that they should have done their own experiments is almost admitting that the information provided in support of polygraphy should not have been accepted as credible. 

Quote:
How could they draw conclusions on other researchers information unless they duplicated the process.

Why would you need to duplicate the process in order to review the results of someone else's experiment?

Quote:
I think you guys like to use the term empirical evidence.  In fact I think they (NAS) cited one of the polygraph studies as "flawed."  Was it flawed because they tried to duplicate the study?  Unfortunately that wasn't the case.

The executive summary of the NAS' findings state why the studies were flawed.

Quote:
"The quality of studies varies considerably, but falls far short of what is desirable. Laboratory studies suffer from lack of realism, and in the randomized controlled studies focused on specific incidents using mock crimes, the consequences associated with lying or being judged deceptive almost never mirror the seriousness of these actions in real-world settings in which the polygraph is used. Field studies have major problems with identifying the truth against which test results should be judged. In addition, they suffer from problems associated with heterogeneity and lack of control of extraneous factors and more generally, they have lower quality than could be achieved with careful study design. Moreover, most of the research, in both the laboratory and in the field, does not fully address key potential threats to validity. For these reasons, study results cannot be expected to generalize to practical contexts."

So no, the study was not flawed because it wasn't duplicated. It was flawed because of the reasons quoted above.

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, the NAS did not seek any assistance from DODPI.  I'm not 100% on that but I believe that to be the case.  Maybe someone from DODPI could chime in on that.

Andy Ryan, Chief of Research, for the DoDPI made a presentation to the NAS. I believe several people from the DOE spoke as well.

Quote:
Most who fail know the answer.  They were deceptive.   I will concede there are a few exceptions to the rule.  Nothing is 100%.

While many who fail may have been deceptive, without any scientific validity (which you claim isn't important), you can't say that they failed because they were deceptive. The conclusions drawn by the NAS seem to indicate that an unacceptable number of people still fail while being truthful (more than "a few exceptions"). Deceptive examinees who employ countermeasures may increase their chances of passing as well.

Quote:
Regarding the scientists who conducted the study.  Is it your belief that no way, no how they could be biased?

Sure, it could have been, but I see no evidence to indicate it was. Since when did "could be" become conclusive evidence to support that kind of claim?

Quote:
What if the study were conducted by polygraph examiners?  Would you find it flawed?  Would you believe there could be bias?  Of course you would.

If you are assuming that I would immediately find the study flawed simply by virtue of it being conducted by polygraph examiners, then no, that would not be correct. I would have to review their study, their methods, and the support for their conclusions before reaching that decision. As far as bias goes, I would probably be inclined to believe that studies conducted by polygraphers are more likely to be done for the purpose of validating polygraphy rather than determining its validity (whether or not I believe that might be the case however, does not mean it is true). If I were to make such a claim, I would have to support it with my own evidence.

Quote:
Let's not throw rocks about speculation.  There's enough of that going on from both sides.

Where did I speculate?

Quote:
Regarding the study, I put no validity (there's that word again) in their findings.  They didn't do any research.  They regurgitated previously reported information.  Smiley

Actually, they reviewed evidence provided by both sides and provided their own conclusions on it. That is hardly regurgitation. That you want them to start from makes me think maybe you yourself do not have faith in the evidence the polygraph community may have provided. If that is not the case, then why wouldn't it be OK for them to use it?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #14 - Jul 16th, 2003 at 2:43am
Saidme,
Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, the NAS did not seek any assistance from DODPI.  I'm not 100% on that but I believe that to be the case.  Maybe someone from DODPI could chime in on that.
At least you qualified your comment Smiley See page 324 of the NAS study. You will see that they did in fact contact DoDPI as they sought research materials.
Quote:
Is it your belief that no way, no how they could be biased?
Absolutely. The members of the Committee which conducted the study consisted of 5 people in the Psychology/Psychiatry field, 6 in the Statistical, Cognitive and Social Sciences, 1 from the Law field, 1 from the Mathematics field, 1 Systems Engineer, 1 from the Radiology field and 1 person who is a language specialist. Quite a diverse group, and I doubt seriously they would all be sympathetic to the nuclear guys. Well, maybe the mathematician if his field is theoretical math.
Quote:
What if the study were conducted by polygraph examiners?  Would you find it flawed?  Would you believe there could be bias?  Of course you would.
Absolutely again. But this analogy would only hold water if the NAS study had been conducted by the scientists employed by the DOE, which it was not.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

I passed - and it was still horrible....

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X