Normal Topic PLCQT/ GKT/ Specific incident (Read 3646 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box suethem
Very Senior User

PLCQT/ GKT/ Specific incident
Jul 12th, 2003 at 11:57pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
anyone...

I was under the misconception  that GKTs were the only 'test' used in criminal investigations.

Is the PLCQT used in criminal case type tests?

( It seems like it was used in the Molly Bish Case)

Are specific incident and GKT the same?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Re: PLCQT/ GKT/ Specific incident
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2003 at 12:23am
suethem wrote on Jul 12th, 2003 at 11:57pm:
anyone...

I was under the misconception  that GKTs were the only 'test' used in criminal investigations.

Is the PLCQT used in criminal case type tests?

Are specific incident and GKT the same?

Yes then No.

Nearly all polygraph tests in the USA are of the PLCQT flavor. GKT's can be used for specific incidence tests but rarely are unlike in Japan where the reverse is true. Japan, having started widespread polygraph forensic use later than the USA, trained it's examiners on GKT techniques, as they were more grounded in scientific theory and can be designed to reduce false positives to a fairly low level assuming sufficient test points.

The problem with GKT's is they are not applicable to screening by their nature.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2003 at 1:37am
suethem,
An additional problem in using the GKT is the media. So much information is given to the public that it becomes difficult to properly formulate the needed questions. And if the LE agencies started to use "dis-information" to protect the details of crimes they would then be ostracized by that same media.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box suethem
Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2003 at 7:53am
All...

So when polygraphers say that they only do 'criminal investigative' polys, they are still using the PLCQT format- the same format that has been found to be invalid. 

Bad science and tricks- not much to brag about!  No wonder they hate this site.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Jul 13th, 2003 at 10:18am
suethem,
You are correct. It makes no difference what the reason is for the PLCQT test, it's still flawed. The Molly Bish case with those 11 people failing is a classic example. For the benefit of the polygraphers on this board, I will point out that we don't know for a fact that the PLCQT was used, so I'm "speculating" in that respect. But the odds are pretty strong that it was used.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

PLCQT/ GKT/ Specific incident

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X