Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Layered Voice Analysis (LVA) (Read 47124 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Saidme
Especially Senior User

Re: Layered Voice Analysis (LVA)
Reply #15 - Aug 1st, 2003 at 7:03pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Thanks for correcting him Anonymous.   Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box suethem
Very Senior User

Reply #16 - Aug 1st, 2003 at 7:07pm
Saidme,

Do you think that LVA can distinguish truth from deception, based solely on it technology (meaning no post interrogation)?

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #17 - Aug 1st, 2003 at 7:15pm
I've never used LVA and wouldn't know what one looked like even if it were hooked to George.  As I stated earlier in this thread, I put little credibility in CVSA or LVA.  I'm sure the next statement from one of you will ask how I can make such an assessment without ever having used it.  Because we're in America where I can voice my opinion on anything.  I assume LVA training is probably quite similar to CVSA training.  Which means, within a very short period of time you can have your secretary out running CVSA and LVA exams.  Sounds dangerous.   Wink

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #18 - Aug 1st, 2003 at 7:19pm
Saidme,

Does it really matter what kind of machine or system is used?

It's the confession that the proof, right?

Do you really think that the polygraph is any more or less accurate?

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #19 - Aug 1st, 2003 at 7:21pm
Yes I do!  I've had several exams over the years where no confession was obtained, yet additional evidence was obtained later which verified the polygraph results.  You can say whatever you want but years of success can't be just ignored or thrown away.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #20 - Aug 1st, 2003 at 7:37pm
saidme,

How many times over how many years= what percent of accuracy?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box True Dat
New User

Reply #21 - Aug 1st, 2003 at 10:56pm
Saidme wrote on Aug 1st, 2003 at 7:03pm:
Now we're cooking.  Let's not leave anyone out when it comes to credibility.  Attack us all.  True_dat is going to have to go back to George's basher school.  He/she's a little slow on the up-take.  You should know better than to give any hint of a compliment to a polygraph examiner. Cheesy

Just curious..what would make you think I was actually close to giving you a 'hint of a compliment'?   

If laughing at how even a polygraph apologist such as yourself turns his back on his own kind is some sort of compliment, feel free to pat yourself on the back alittle more.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Some VA Experience

Reply #22 - Sep 30th, 2003 at 12:45am
Cheesy I worked in the polygraph/voice analysis field in the early 70's and performed double blind analyses of tape recordings of interrogations in both English and in a non-Romance language to ascertain truth or deceit with a prototype voice stress analyzer. The research work was paid for, in part, by several federal agencies. The analyses that I performed resulted in an assessment of 83% accuracy, based on post-interrogation determination of the truthfulness of taped responses.

I felt good about the 83%, it was comparable to polygraph and a whole lot more efficient, but it wasn't good enough to call this technology "lie detection", which is why we continued to call it voice stress analysis.

I read the LVA brochure - very interesting and a quantum leap in the technology. I'd love to know the specifics of their "18 voice parameters", since I was pretty well versed in this stuff once. I find their claims to be a great stretch and am very curious how they achive this. They don't have to worry about patent infringement, I have my own and am not interested in theirs.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #23 - Sep 30th, 2003 at 4:11am
Quote:
Cheesy I worked in the polygraph/voice analysis field in the early 70's and performed double blind analyses of tape recordings of interrogations in both English and in a non-Romance language to ascertain truth or deceit with a prototype voice stress analyzer. The research work was paid for, in part, by several federal agencies. The analyses that I performed resulted in an assessment of 83% accuracy, based on post-interrogation determination of the truthfulness of taped responses.

I felt good about the 83%, it was comparable to polygraph and a whole lot more efficient, but it wasn't good enough to call this technology "lie detection", which is why we continued to call it voice stress analysis.

I read the LVA brochure - very interesting and a quantum leap in the technology. I'd love to know the specifics of their "18 voice parameters", since I was pretty well versed in this stuff once. I find their claims to be a great stretch and am very curious how they achive this. They don't have to worry about patent infringement, I have my own and am not interested in theirs.

Double blind eh?  Where is the study published? I would be most interested in understanding it (especially being an EE).

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Truth
Very Senior User

Reply #24 - Sep 30th, 2003 at 6:16am
Which brings up an interesting point: anyone who has a background in math/science/engineering is going to be skeptical of unsupported claims about the efficacy of the polygraph. My guess is that the "Dr." who made a post is a Ph.D. - in a non-science related area, like psychology, education, and so on. The EdD's, "doctor" of education, is the lowest, I mean the absolute lowest, form of any doctorate, and they tend to overuse the "Dr." title. But I digress.

Any "Dr." who makes claims about how accurate or reliable some instrument is surely knows those claims are going to be challenged, and that is part of the scientific method. Claims without supporting evidence are BS, and that is a fact.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Rick Fuller

Reply #25 - Sep 30th, 2003 at 8:02pm
Marty wants to know where study was published. The only publication I am aware of was a Technical Report to the US Army's Limited Warfare Laboratories in 1973. I used to have a copy and if I find it, can provide the document number, but if you're handy retrieving federal documents from their archive services it should be locatable. If its interesting, there were several EE's associated with this sudy, as well as Psychology PHD's (and one ABD). And, of course, appropriately qualified personnel from several selected federal agencies who had an interest.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #26 - Sep 30th, 2003 at 8:12pm
Quote:
Marty wants to know where study was published. The only publication I am aware of was a Technical Report to the US Army's Limited Warfare Laboratories in 1973. I used to have a copy and if I find it, can provide the document number, but if you're handy retrieving federal documents from their archive services it should be locatable. If its interesting, there were several EE's associated with this sudy, as well as Psychology PHD's (and one ABD). And, of course, appropriately qualified personnel from several selected federal agencies who had an interest.

Rick,

Thanks. Unfortunately, having only worked in the private sector, I'm ill equiped to search this. It's likely some others here could assist though. Being an EE by profession, I am most interested in how this was approached. Especially given the limited technology back then. These days the most sophisticated DSP is dirt cheap.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #27 - Jan 21st, 2004 at 9:55am
See Colin R. Johnson's EE Times article, "Lie detector glasses offer peek at future of security" for recent news on "Layered Voice Analysis":

http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20040116S0050

A lively discussion of this article is to be found on Slashdot.org here:

http://slashdot.org/articles/04/01/20/1857249.shtml

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Tamar Eden

Reply #28 - Mar 4th, 2004 at 1:46pm
What a bloody Joke!!!!!!!!

The Software in question was originally marketed in Israel as a child's TOY!! (Ex-Sense Pro) and sold in toystores and bookstores without that much success.

Please keep in mind that here in Israel, we also use handwriting analysis, amulets, and magic spells (blessings) as a matter of routine within our government agencies.

The Hebrew word for "sucker" is "freir", and only freirs would be taken in by such deceptive marketing!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Linda

Reply #29 - Apr 7th, 2004 at 11:56pm
Okay, if this technology is as good as the creator claims, then can an insurance company deny a claim based on the results of the LAV?  How do the results effect law enforcement?   ??? Shocked

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Layered Voice Analysis (LVA)

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X