Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) can this be right? (Read 21855 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Public Servant
Very Senior User

Re: can this be right?
Reply #15 - Jul 14th, 2003 at 11:53am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Quote:
Actually, Mark did not exactly write that he believed deception to create a response. What he wrote was, "I find it plausible that a lie will produce a strong reaction, and that reaction will be reflected on the charts during a stim test." 

It should be pointed out that during the stim test, when the examinee denies having written the number he actually wrote, any reaction produced has nothing to do with a willful act of deception. The examinee's denial that he wrote the number he actually did is an act of compliance with the polygrapher's instructions and not an act of deception. 

First of all I see little difference with my paraphrase (from memory at the time) and the actual quote you provided.  I'd leave it to Mark to say for sure if I misrepresented his statement.  I would be the last to do so.

Likewise, while being told to write a number is not deceiving the examiner, giving an answer that is not true, is certainly a lie.  This coincides even better with Mark's direct quote.  

It appears to me we have reduced this from substantive argument to semantics.

You have correctly assessed my view on witnessing of exams.

On the topic of naming agencies who do these type of exams, I would say that doing so might indicate I work for one of these agencies.  Giving hint to the agency for whom I work, might give room for the inference I sought to avoid. Besides, there are many agencies who employ examiners at the local, state, andfederal level.  I couldn't name all or even know if all of them run these types of exams.

I think that I can provide the service you seek, by stating that most agencies would allow the attorney to be present, or make an agreement to no post as I mentioned, if the exam was requested by counsel or set up as an agreement between prosecutor and defense counsel.  If one is in a situation wherein their attorney suggests (or they request the attorney to set up) an exculpatory exam, the best way to ensure they obtain this type of agreement is to demand it of their attorney.  The defense counsel can not force the client to do anything any more than the prosecution, so demand he enter into such an agreement and/or witness the exam as a prerequisite. 

Also, as an aside, some jurisdictions have examiners who work for the prosecutors office, or even the public defender's office.

And don't worry George, no one will mistake you as speaking for the FBI.  Smiley

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #16 - Jul 15th, 2003 at 9:02am
Public Servant,

Quote:
First of all I see little difference with my paraphrase (from memory at the time) and the actual quote you provided.  I'd leave it to Mark to say for sure if I misrepresented his statement.  I would be the last to do so. 

Likewise, while being told to write a number is not deceiving the examiner, giving an answer that is not true, is certainly a lie.  This coincides even better with Mark's direct quote.   

It appears to me we have reduced this from substantive argument to semantics.

I think the key point here is that the stim test has nothing to do with the detection of deception: it's a form of concealed information test. In the stim test, when the examinee denies writing the number he actually did, his reply may be deemed a "lie" in the strict sense that it is not true. But the intent to deceive is missing: the examinee denies writing the number he did merely because the polygrapher instructed him to do so. Any reactions measured by the polygraph during the stim test are not the product of deception.

I think it bears repeating that a deceptive answer to a CQT polygraph question may or may not be accompanied by an associated physiological response measurable by the polygraph and that the absence of such a response is no proof that an examinee's answer to that question was truthful.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mark Mallah
Very Senior User

The message thread to which Re: can this be right?
Reply #17 - Jul 15th, 2003 at 7:49pm
Quote:
The message thread to which you refer in which the stim test has recently been discussed is Looking for an Interesting Quote. Actually, Mark did not exactly write that he believed deception to create a response. What he wrote was, "I find it plausible that a lie will produce a strong reaction, and that reaction will be reflected on the charts during a stim test." 

Just to clarify, I based my statement on my own personal experience and the widely held belief that when people lie, they experience some internal discord.  That discord, I suspect, is manifest through the polygraph's measurements.  One of the problems with the polygraph is that it cannot distinguish among various types of internal discord.

Even though I was told to lie during a stim test, I did experience discord when doing so, and was not surprised to see a strong reaction there.   

Quote:
On the thread wherein the stim chart became a hot topic, Mark Mallah stated he believed deception to create a response.  He said the problem is that response could be caused by other factors as well.  I believe I've seen this in your statements as well.  This argument could support a reason not to trust a DI result but should not affect the reliability of an NDI.  Lack of significant response to relevant questions should indicate lack of deception, and any of the other factors one might assert could cause a seemingly deceptive response.   

Yes, it could support a reason not to trust a DI, as I believe.  But it has no application to an NDI, which turns on other factors. 

Let me ask this though: what is the main point here, and its implication(s) vis a vis the stim test? 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Public Servant
Very Senior User

Reply #18 - Jul 17th, 2003 at 3:41pm
Mark,

Quote:
Let me ask this though: what is the main point here, and its implication(s) vis a vis the stim test? 

I'm not sure I remember.  I believe this thread was narrowed to George and I debating on whether an NDI should be relied upon in cases such as MrsG presented.

I merely seized upon your post to illustrate how an assertion made by a poly opponent could support that an NDI result would be reliable.   Just made use of a little (of my own) logic applied to your post...hope you didn't mind.

Quote:
Just to clarify, I based my statement on my own personal experience and the widely held belief that when people lie, they experience some internal discord.  That discord, I suspect, is manifest through the polygraph's measurements.  One of the problems with the polygraph is that it cannot distinguish among various types of internal discord. 

I believe the psychological term for this is Cognitive Dissonance (I don't have a psychology text book in front of me but I don't think I'm making complete wild conjecture here, George Smiley).  You were doing something you felt was wrong (being dishonest), yet you did it (lied) at the request of the examiner.  The internal (psychological) fight results in a physiological response.  It results from having a conscience.  I'd argue that everyone has one of those; just some don't listen to it as often as others.   

Of course, the 100% presence of a conscience in all people would more difficult to determine through research than validating polygraph.  It's that dastardly establishing ground truth thing again... which no doubt, George, is the main culprit which enabled the NAS to sharp shoot polygraph research and validation. 

Perhaps, there could be other sources of internal discord which could cause a discernable response on polygraph charts.  However, I'd argue significant response that occurs consistently to answering a yes/no question, would most likely be caused by the cognitive dissonance involved in telling a lie.  Or by outright fear of detection of a deception, when the questions are a bit more serious than stim questions. And CQT adds the psychological set dimension to allow for response due to other factors.

Attack at will.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #19 - Jul 17th, 2003 at 4:29pm
Public Servant,

(1) As has been pointed out many times on this message board, stim tests are really concealed information tests.  The same results can be obtained through a silent test (no response from the examinee).  They have no bearing whatsoever on detecting deception or on the foolishness of CQT exams.  They are merely a con to try to convince an examinee of the overall viability of the process to follow (the substantive exam).  Note Wombat's nice turning of the tables with his con of the con man on a separate thread.

(2) The cognitive dissonance which you suggest for the CQT is much better and generally explained by the fear of consequences mechanism  discussed many times before on this site than the fear of detection mechanism you now shamelessly give us once again from the shallow theory spewed by polygraph academia.  And as previously discussed this (the former) mechanism serves well to explain the large number of false positive results obtained with polygraph screening and attested to through the continuing litany of posts here as well as to explain why most of the so-called polygraph (simulated crime) research (with no real consequences to be feared) should be dismissed out of hand.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #20 - Jul 17th, 2003 at 8:44pm
Public Servant,
Quote:
Or by outright fear of detection of a deception...

Would you agree or disagree that the fear of an otherwise truthful answer being perceived as deceptive could also bring on a significant response?
I ask simply because I believe this very fact to be the underlying cause of 11 people failing their polygraphs in the Molly Bish case. Any insight you may have would be helpful.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Saidme
Especially Senior User

Reply #21 - Jul 17th, 2003 at 8:52pm
Orolan

Why would an examinee fear their answer is perceived as deceptive?  Let me enlighten you.  That's where the art of polygraph comes into play and if the examiner does his/her job correctly then there will be no fear their answers are being perceived as deceptive.   Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #22 - Jul 17th, 2003 at 9:00pm
Saidme,

A truthful polygraph subject, perhaps especially one being questioned about a missing person, might well fear being perceived as deceptive because of the likely consequences thereof.

You write (with a wink) that "if the examiner does his/her job correctly then there will be no fear their answers are being perceived as deceptive." But CQT polygraphy lacks any meaningful control (in the scientific sense of the word), and the examiner has no way of knowing whether he/she has done his/her job correctly.

And hence we get situations like the Molly Bish case, where 11 individuals failed the polygraph.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #23 - Jul 17th, 2003 at 9:03pm
Saidme,
You don't think a person would be apprehensive sitting for a polygraph exam that could cost them their life if they failed? 
I do agree that a skilled polygrapher might be able to alleviate most of the apprehension, but not all of it. But that's not polygraphy, that's psychology.
Curious. What is your take on those 11 failures? Do you see it as examiner incompetence? Or are all 11 of them guilty?

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #24 - Jul 17th, 2003 at 9:16pm
Orolan

I don't know anything about the case you're discussing but I can provide you with some insight that might be helpful (but probably not).  Let's say you're going to polygraph a group of employees working at the 7-11 over the theft of $100.  You're going to polygraph them on that specific issue.  Let's say for arguments sake, only one in the group stole the money.  Let's say the group consists of 11 people (I'll use your number).  At the conclusion of the 11 polygraphs let's say 9 were DI.  Obviously, one person stole the money, why would 8 others go DI?  What might cause that is a little bleed over from other incidents.  Maybe the other 8 people stole money from the 7-11 in the recent past, but they didn't steal that $100.  That would explain why you had more than one DI.  Of course you would interrogate them all equally.  From an examiner's standpoint, not only might he/she solve the crime of the stolen $100, but could resolve many other thefts that went unreported.  I've seen this very scenario occur.   

I hope that's not too much for you to digest.  You can apply this same scenario to just about any crime.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mark Mallah
Very Senior User

Reply #25 - Jul 17th, 2003 at 9:43pm
I think the polygraph examiners here are seriously discounting the internal turmoil occasioned by "fear of consequences", and the possibility that even the innocenct subject will focus on the relevant question more so than the comparison question.

I instinctually found that a direct question about whether or not I committed espionage piqued me much more so than some vague question about whether I had ever taken anything of value from an employer.

Look at the consequences.  So what if an examiner accused me of taking something of value before that I had not revealed during the pre-test.  What is he/she going to do with that?  Hardly anything.  It's so amorphous, especially when the purpose of the test is a COUNTERINTELLIGENCE screening.  It's even off-point.

But what about the espionage question?  Any suspicion of espionage must be followed by an investigation, possibly suspension and/or dismissal.  So it's easily the more important question.

Of course, not every subject sees it that way, but neither does every innocent subject automatically perceive the comparison question as the more important one.  Thus the premise of the CQT--that the innocent subject will focus on the comparison question--is flawed.   

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #26 - Jul 17th, 2003 at 9:54pm
Saidme,

Not only is your theft analogy, i.e., if they didn't commit this robbery, they committed another, rather presumptuous, it becomes incredibly ridiculous when you extend it to the case at hand, e.g., kidnapping/murder, to suggest that if these roughly dozen examinees didn't murder/kidnap the young lady in question, they kidnapped/murdered someone else.  What kind of a half-brained notion is that?  Come on—get real… you can do better than that...hmmm.... or can you?

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #27 - Jul 17th, 2003 at 10:06pm
A

As I stated in my earlier post, I don't know the case facts they were discussing so I can't really comment on any specific case.  I can only try and explain to the uneducated how (in my experiences) truthful people can come up DI.  As I've stated in earlier discussions, polygraph is not 100%, nor is anything else.  Could there have been bad examinations conducted in the case, of course.  Could they have failed because they had committed other murders/kidnappings? Of course.  Could they have failed because they were involved?  Of course.  Could they have failed because they had knowledge of the perpetrator but didn't (for whatever reason) want to disclose it to authorities?  Of course.

Mark

I fully recognize internal turmoil amongst truthful (and deceptive) examinees.  Usually, if a truthful examinee will have any response, it will be in the early charts.  As the test progesses, DI's go DI, NDI's go NDI.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Canadian Crusader
Senior User

Reply #28 - Jul 17th, 2003 at 10:38pm
Saidme you are so full of it.

You can't for one minute entertain the idea that the poly has inherant flaws?  You still blindly maintain that the poly is so accurate that the other eight DI's must have commited some other potentially non-related crime?

You exude the typical "everyone is guitly of something" or "must be if I determined them DI" cop attitude.  Of course, you would have to interrogate them all.

BS.  You would label them all DI just to get the excuse to interrogate them all without representation.

You conducted polys in a similar case and found that most everyone of the employees had at one point in time stole from their employer?  All the people confessed?  You should go public.  You would be able to demand double the typical fees charged for polys.  Employers would be knocking down your door to solve all their unsolved theft and crimes with your amazing accuracy rating.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box suethem
Very Senior User

Reply #29 - Jul 18th, 2003 at 12:28am
Saidme,   

I am troubled by your response to A.

Another conspiracy?

All the people who failed the polygraph test in the Bish case are guilty of murder/ kidnapping, even if their victim wasn't Molly Bish.   

That pool of 11 people would represent some kind of whopper anomaly for the statisticians. 

Lets just say 3 of the 11, conspired and killed the poor girl.  What your saying is that the 8 other people are also murderers?  They just murdered someone else than Molly Bish? 

A cult no doubt-  Maybe it was the NAS and DOE scientists on the loose!  They kill their victims with protractors and calculators no doubt!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
can this be right?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X