Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) can this be right? (Read 21832 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box mrsg

can this be right?
Jul 10th, 2003 at 5:19pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
My husband has been indicted along with me on federal charges.  He had no knowledge of what I was doing , but because we shared a bank account and he wrote checks, the feds say he must have known.  His attorney finally convinced the ausa to allow a polygraph test to prove his innocence.  He took this test around the first of June with the FBI.  The examiner told him that he didn't do well and that he must have know about the crime.  He then politely told him, no I did not and left.  I have read of the FBI trying to get confessions from people even if they pass the test.  To date we  or his attorney still do not have a report.  Is this good, bad or normal?  Any input would be appreciated.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Re: can this be right?
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2003 at 10:44pm
With all due respect, what kind of defense counsel would allow their client to waive his Fifth Amendment rights and be subjected to an open-ended interrogation by law enforcement without the attorney being present? To add insult to injury, your attorney allowed the FBI to conduct the interrogation! Unbelievable! You certainly have grounds to have any future verdict set aside for your attorney's incompetence.

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2003 at 3:26am
beech trees

Although it is inferred, she didn't out right say that the atty. wasn't present. Even if he was there, he apparently allowed the interogation without objection. There or not, you are correct. A good lawyer should be able to have this thrown out of court because of incompetence. If this happens, the feds still have the option to a new trial, but  I would think the polygraph and other interrogations would not be allowed as evidence in the new trial. I doubt that a dismissal of charges, based on atty. incompetence, is achievable. If they loose in court, they still have one hell of an appeal.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2003 at 12:57pm
I do not know how long it normally takes to receive a polygraph report from the FBI in the circumstances you described. In any event, one month should have been more than sufficient time for the FBI to have a final polygraph report prepared. Did the FBI or AUSA actually make a commitment to provide your husband with a copy of the polygraph report?

The main purpose of the polygraph is as an interrogational prop and pretext for getting a suspect to agree to an interrogation in the absence of counsel. It is also the FBI's policy not to video- or audiotape polygraph interrogations, a deliberate policy that denies the suspect the ability to challenge any admission(s) the polygrapher may attribute to him, or to prove any allegation of polygrapher misconduct.

I agree with Beech Trees and Twoblock that your lawyer's pushing for a polygraph examination to "prove your husband's innocence" is an indication of incompetence.

If you haven't already done so, download The Lie Behind the Lie Detector for more about how polygraph testing actually "works" (and doesn't).

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Public Servant
Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2003 at 3:23pm
I'd have to disagree with the assessments of this situation (as I have with similar posts in the past).   

First of all, the AUSA could not (would not) introduce the polygraph results as evidence against this individual. While some districts in federal court have allowed polygraph results to be introduced, it has nearly always been for exculpatory purposes.  I know of no federal case wherein a DI result was introduced as part of the prosecution's case.  Therefore, Beech and George are slandering this attorney by calling him incompetent, without the facts (and I suspect without a JD or any other legal / law enforcement credentials).

If the attorney did allow a post exam interview, he would be considered incompetent.  However, MrsG, makes no mention of such an interview.  She said the examiner informed her husband of the result, and he said it was wrong, and left.  That constitues neither interview, nor interrogation.  That sounds like an arranged exam, wherein the defense attorney agreed to an exam, but demanded there be no post instrument interview.  The attorney likely was present, but if he wasn't he likely has worked with the examiner before, and knew he would not violate ethics by betraying such an agreement.  If the examiner did so, any admissions made would likely be surpressed as a violation of the client's rights (unless he demanded to go against his attorney's advice, which he could do if counsel was present as well). 

While I believe Two Block is a fair minded, concerned, interested citizen; Beech and George have an agenda.  This is yet another front on their attack on the system that slighted them.  They would like to discredit lawyers who use polygraph as a resource in defense strategy/ planning; and thus reduce this use of polygraph by putting fear in attorneys that allowing an exam of a client could constitute malpractice.  Unfortunately for Beach and George, these gentlemen are obviously very much laymen in the field of the Federal Legal System.   

I have admitted to having meager, at best, credentials in the science fields, but I am no doubt a seasoned Federal Law Enforcement professional--especially experienced in these types of exams.  I can say without a doubt, Beech and George, you are either making assumptions for self-serving reasons, or your ignorance of the system at work here caused you to fill in the blanks with highly unlikely possibilities.   The passage above says nothing about an actual interrogation occuring, just that she heard the FBI might try to get a confession even if a person passed.  I inferred from this only that she suspects he might have actually passed.  I suspect that the reason he left right after receiving the result, was because that was what was agreed upon between attorney and examiner.

If information were to come forward that an actual interview geared to eliciting admissions occurred, then I would change my position on the competence of the defense attorney. For such an interview to be allowed in an exculpatory examination (again, unless the suspect demanded to make admissions against advice) would be highly irregular.  For this to be carried out, against the wishes of attorney would be misconduct that would yield nothing but inadmissible information.

The reasons for delay in receipt of report could be attributed to QC process and workload.  Or it could be an issue with discovery procedure between AUSA and defense.  It's also possible the husband's attorney is unwilling to share the info with MrsG and thus she believes he does not have what he does.  If charged, the husband's defense would likely be to claim no knowledge of her wrongdoings, or even blame her for everything. Thus his interests would conflict with hers.  He and she should have a separate attorneys and they likely won't be sharing info if the two are tried separately.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2003 at 3:27pm
Wow!!! Post # 100.  Do I get an award, a cake, or some sort of certificate?  At least a congrats for surviving 100 posts worth of sharp replies! Smiley

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box mrsg

Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2003 at 5:47pm
let me clarify this situation a little further.  No, the attorney was not present.  He did this as an attempt to get the ausa to dismiss charges, not to use it in a trial situation.  No, they did no specifically say that a report would be issued to us but the attorney told us he would let us know as soon as he heard something, so I assumed that there would be some type of report.  And finally, yes, we do have separate lawyers.  Thanks for all the input.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2003 at 8:24pm
Public Servant,

No award, cake, or certificate, but if you're ever in my neck of the woods, get in touch and you're welcome to come over for food, drink, and conversation. Your participation on this message board is always welcome.

With regard to your most recent post, I would not go so far as to say that a lawyer's allowing a client to be polygraphed would amount to malpractice. I don't know under what circumstances it might or might not.

To the best of your knowledge, does the FBI conduct polygraph examinations of suspects in criminal cases (indeed, of persons already indicted) subject to the proviso that no post-test interrogation shall be conducted? I admit that I had not considered the possibility that such a scenario might arise. (I'd be interested in hearing from anyone knowledgable in this regard.)

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Saidme
Especially Senior User

Reply #8 - Jul 11th, 2003 at 10:38pm
Public Servant hit it right on the head.  It's quite common to conduct exculpatory polygraph examinations at the defense attorney's request.  Although not quite as common, I have conducted polygraph examinations on suspects who have already been indicted.  George, I believe you used the term "wild conjecture" on one of these threads.  I saw alot of "wild conjecture" on this thread from both you and Beech Trees.  Shame on you.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Saidme
Especially Senior User

Reply #9 - Jul 11th, 2003 at 10:45pm
Beech

Had the scenario you described taken place (see below), I doubt seriously if a judge would punish the prosecutor or police for the attorney's incompetence.  Had there been an interrogation and the fellow confessed, I believe it would have been allowed regardless of the objections of counsel.   

"A good lawyer should be able to have this thrown out of court because of incompetence."

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Canadian Crusader
Senior User

Reply #10 - Jul 12th, 2003 at 1:10am
Plain and simply put, the poly is nothing more than a tool used to try and scare the uninformed examinee (your husband) into a confession.  The tactit used by the examiner was mearly meant to try and scare your husband into "spilling the beans".  Appearantly he wasn't carrying any and did the right thing by leaving the poly exam.  Sounds to me like your husband failed the exam in the eyes of the fbi.  If you do see a "report" I am willing to bet the conclusion will be that he either failed of was inconclusive as they apparently did not get their much hoped for confession.  I would not let your husband take another one ever again.  They might try to convince your husband he needs a retest based on the results of the first.  Tell them to shove their second "exam" and get a new lawyer for suggesting your husband take one in the first place.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #11 - Jul 12th, 2003 at 7:46am
Canadian Crusader,

You missed my point completely and ignor the fact that, in two posts now, MrsG has not mentioned any actual interrogation taking place.   

In a situation like the one described, what other method of corroborating his claim of no culpable knowledge/involvement, would MrsG's husband have, other than an NDI exam?  Can you blame him or his attorney for trying?

You say a second exam should be out of the question (and seem to say any should have been).  But this site says anyone could easily beat a polygraph...so shouldn't lawyers and their clients be beating down the examiners' doors to obtain exculpatory evidence.  You can't have it both ways! 

George,

Thank you very much for the kind invitation.  I would very much like to take you up on the offer, but, alas, the geography is a bit insurmountable at this time.  If you're ever on the complete opposite end of the land mass I believe we share, stop in for the same hospitality you offered, and some of the local food and culture.  I too believe the friendly conversation would be enjoyable.

On the topic of exculpatory exams...
I can't speak for the FBI, but they are quite common within Federal Law Enforcement.  The examiner would agree not to attempt to elicit any admissions and just run a good exam.  The attorney may or may not be present, but the examiner would have instructions from the attorney regarding any spontaneous incriminating statements (usually to stop and defer to the attorney) and that no post-test interview could be conducted.  The defense attorneys are people we work with regularly.  Unlike on TV, it is not a completely adversarial relationship.   

The attorney would have to turn to the LE agency, because the prosecution would likely not accept polygraph results from a private examiner.  If the defendent paid the examiner, who's to say he's not getting what he paid for, regardles of what is the truth.

I've run numerous such exams, and more than a couple were awaiting trial, and came up NDI (often similar situations to this, where circumstance had them tied to a bigger issue, and this was the only way to verify their statements).  Usually, some, or all of the charges are dropped as a result (likely there was an agreement betwen prosecution and defense prior to exam).  Many times the attorneys find a DI exam useful as well.  They now know it might be better to pursue a plea bargain.  I've seen more than a few felons get off easy after they went DI and their attorney convinced them to accept a very nice deal.  It's easier for a defense attorney to defend his client if he knows what the truth is.  That's the service polygraph offers defense attorneys.

Regards.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #12 - Jul 12th, 2003 at 9:10am
Public Servant,

You write to Canadian Crusader:

Quote:
In a situation like the one described, what other method of corroborating his claim of no culpable knowledge/involvement, would MrsG's husband have, other than an NDI exam?

An NDI ("No Deception Indicated") CQT polygraph examination would have provided no genuine corroboration, because the "test" has no scientific basis. At best, such an outcome might provide bureaucratic cover that a prosecutor could use to justify his decision to drop charges.

Quote:
You say a second exam should be out of the question (and seem to say any should have been).  But this site says anyone could easily beat a polygraph...so shouldn't lawyers and their clients be beating down the examiners' doors to obtain exculpatory evidence.  You can't have it both ways!

If certain protections (such as the lawyer's right to be present, video/audiotaping, no post-test interrogation) were in place, then perhaps, in cases where the prosecution is foolish enough to make decisions on the basis of CQT polygraphy, lawyers and clients should be beating down the polygraph examiners' doors to obtain "exculpatory" polygraph examinations.

But in the case of the FBI, it appears that no such protections exist. According to a recent report of investigation by the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York:

Quote:
It is the Government's understanding that, according to FBI protocol, no one other than the polygrapher and the examinee are allowed in the polygraph room during the administration of the 
exam because the presence of other parties may influence the results and render the exam not objective.

We also know that it is the FBI's policy not to audio- or videorecord polygraph examinations -- a policy that has no good faith justification.

Quote:
On the topic of exculpatory exams... 
I can't speak for the FBI, but they are quite common within Federal Law Enforcement.  The examiner would agree not to attempt to elicit any admissions and just run a good exam.  The attorney may or may not be present, but the examiner would have instructions from the attorney regarding any spontaneous incriminating statements (usually to stop and defer to the attorney) and that no post-test interview could be conducted.  The defense attorneys are people we work with regularly.  Unlike on TV, it is not a completely adversarial relationship.

Thank you for sharing these insights. Which federal law enforcement agencies administer exculpatory polygraph examinations under the conditions you've described?

Quote:
The attorney would have to turn to the LE agency, because the prosecution would likely not accept polygraph results from a private examiner.  If the defendent paid the examiner, who's to say he's not getting what he paid for, regardles of what is the truth.

Indeed, if the a defendant's attorney hires a private polygraph examiner, and the results don't come out to his liking, he can choose not to disclose them and seek out other polygraphers until he obtains a favorable outcome.

Quote:
It's easier for a defense attorney to defend his client if he knows what the truth is.  That's the service polygraph offers defense attorneys.

If only that were so... But the polygraph does not detect lying or deception, nor does it "verify the truth" as some polygraphers are fond of saying. It is a mistake for any attorney to rely on polygraph chart readings to determine whether his client is telling the truth.

In any event, if an attorney wanted to use a polygraph examination in an attempt to assess his own client's veracity, it would be unwise for him to turn to the FBI to provide that service.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #13 - Jul 13th, 2003 at 2:52pm
George,

Quote:
An NDI ("No Deception Indicated") CQT polygraph examination would have provided no genuine corroboration,

This is something I guess we'll have to agree to disagree upon.  However, I will say this:   
On the thread wherein the stim chart became a hot topic, Mark Mallah stated he believed deception to create a response.  He said the problem is that response could be caused by other factors as well.  I believe I've seen this in your statements as well.  This argument could support a reason not to trust a DI result but should not affect the reliability of an NDI.  Lack of significant response to relevant questions should indicate lack of deception, and any of the other factors one might assert could cause a seemingly deceptive response.   

Did I state that clearly? I'm not making a new assertion, just applying yours to other assertions from your side. 

On the issue of allowing no witness to observe exams, let me say that nothing could be more WRONG.  Even an exam that is conducted on a person who has waived his right to counsel, should be witnessed.   All of my exams are witnessed by someone, just so no one could say anything improper occurred. And I, personally, would have no problem with taping of exam from start to finish, to include post test.  That would end all questions or insinuations a defense attorney, or anyone could have.  I hope this allegation you cite is in error.  Such a policy would be impossible to defend, if for no other reason than the fact it leaves each exam open to scrutiny and doubt.

To answer the question of what agencies run exculpatory exams; mine, and many others no doubt.   Sorry, I don't speak for my agency, or any others here.  I post as a private citizen.  To be specific might cause others to infer otherwise.  Perhaps I could be more specific if we ever end up in the same location with a table and a couple of brews between us.   You probably could gather from this post to which agency I do NOT belong.

On your last portion, I would only reiterate that we shall have to agree to disagree.  I believe defense attorneys are quite wise to use polygraph in this way, and I know many quite successful ones who do so.  I'll have to leave the last line alone.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #14 - Jul 14th, 2003 at 8:46am
Public Servant,

Of course, we can agree to disagree on the probative value of polygraph chart readings. But I would note that the National Academy of Sciences also disagrees with you. Wink

The message thread to which you refer in which the stim test has recently been discussed is Looking for an Interesting Quote. Actually, Mark did not exactly write that he believed deception to create a response. What he wrote was, "I find it plausible that a lie will produce a strong reaction, and that reaction will be reflected on the charts during a stim test."

It should be pointed out that during the stim test, when the examinee denies having written the number he actually wrote, any reaction produced has nothing to do with a willful act of deception. The examinee's denial that he wrote the number he actually did is an act of compliance with the polygrapher's instructions and not an act of deception.

A deceptive answer to a polygraph question may or may not be accompanied by an associated physiological response measurable by the polygraph. The absence of such a response is no sure sign that an examinee's answer to a question was truthful.

It is good to know that all your examinations are witnessed by a third person. Do I understand you correctly that such third persons could include the examinee's lawyer? It is also good to know that you have no problem with exams being taped. If your agency were to make such taping routine, it would offer you and your colleagues, as well as those you polygraph, an important protection.

Allowing witnesses and taping is most certainly not the policy of the FBI, however: the Bureau does not allow anyone other than the polygrapher and subject to be present and does not allow the recording of polygraph sessions. As I said before, there is no good faith justification for this policy.

I had asked you which  federal law enforcement agencies administer exculpatory polygraph examinations under the conditions you've described (allowing defense counsel to be present and allowing taping). I think you understood this as a question about which agencies administer exculpatory polygraph examinations, but what I am asking is which ones (in stark contrast to the FBI) allow defense counsel to be present and allow taping (regardless of whether the examination is deemed "exculpatory")?

Just as I am not speaking for the FBI when I describe their policy of not allowing defense counsel to be present and not allowing the recording of polygraph examinations, I don't think your answering this question could be construed as your speaking in behalf your agency, or any other. The answer to the question I've put to you would be useful to those considering whether or not to agree to such a polygraph examination.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

can this be right?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X