Normal Topic Background (Read 6164 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box wolverine

Background
Jul 10th, 2003 at 5:47am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I would like to know if my background will poseproblems on a  police background. This is my Background.

no criminal record, No bad credit history on any of my reports, No tickets, 3 police ridealongs, 1 time tried mj at 15 and no other drug, Good references from my neighbors, never fired or asked to resign from a job. About to get an A.A. Degree, no civil suits, good reference from my Internship. Basically im not really concerned about anything exept work history. My work history consists like this. 

First job i obtained at 19 i quit after 10 months because fast food is something that is not for me and foun something close to home. During my time at wendys fast food i got another job but quit after 3 weeks because i was getting out about 1 A.M. I then obtained a job at a supermarket for three years, everything was going great but then a new supervisor was hired. When he was hired many employees were having problems with him, He left me off the schedule 1 week and then he told me he was going to put me as a cashier something i did not want, 2 days after i came back to work i called and said i would not return, Any how he recently was transfered because he is not well liked. I feel this guy will try and hurt me on a BI. 3 weeks later i got a job as a security guard but quit because it was going to have problems with school.  Currently i have not been working for 6 months but have been attending school and looking for a job. Should i be extremely concerned about me passing a police Background. hope to hear soon

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box treetop
Ex Member

Re: Background
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2003 at 7:34am
Question for you Wolverine.  How old are you now?  The only thing I can see hurting you is a lack of work experience.  If you can make them believe that you are motivated and will be there for the long haul, then you have a good chance.  However, you are competing against people that are former military police, have a much more stable work history, and some transfer law enforcement officers.  Ask yourself these questions and answer honestly because the agency you try to hired on with will ask you.   

What makes you the best canidate for the job? 

Why should we hire you instead of the other guy?

What have you done to prepare yourself for this job?

What kind of experience do you have that will help you succeed as a police officer?

If you can answer this questions honestly and conviencingly, you may have a good shot.  If you can't, then you may want to go out there and gain some experience and try again in a couple years.

Good luck...I know I will need it too!

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2003 at 2:34pm
im 23, currently in college

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box treetop
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2003 at 11:21pm
Wolverine,

I think you might be better off waiting a couple years and gaining some experience.  It may not hurt to try and apply.  You never know.  Good luck.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ThinBlue

Reply #4 - Jul 14th, 2003 at 9:35pm
What is going to hurt you the most is the fact that you seem to think all of your employmnet problems were the fault of someone else.  If you were in the position to hire someone and they came in telling you that everytime they were employed, the had to quit because of problems created by another, what would you think?   

It is possible that you have had trouble with an employer.  But is it also possible that you may have made one mistake?

Also, it shows an inability to work through problems, to think situations out and exibits a childlike behavior.

Try to concider this and rethink you attitude.

This is not a bash.  Just answering the question.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jul 15th, 2003 at 10:04pm
I choose not to start a debate with any of you 2,  but i feel your wrong in cerain aspects. People have been hired even without to many work experience. I heard of people in other forums that have been hired having about 10-15 jobs since their college years. Aguy from  an old job got hired nearly 2 yers after an arrest. lastly my cousin was a part time park ranger, when he was being interviewed for a full time park ranger position he was turned down for people with no experience.  you guys are sounding like i will be turned down by everyagency in the country. did not want to start arguments but thats all i have to say.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Saidme
Especially Senior User

Reply #6 - Jul 15th, 2003 at 10:52pm
Wolverine

Good attitude.  You're an excellent candidate.  At age 23 you're not supposed to have alot of experience.  Definitely continue your education whether you get hired or not.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #7 - Jul 16th, 2003 at 2:53am
Wolverine,
For once I agree with Saidme. It is very difficult to maintain a steady job while going to college, so nobody expects you to have a whole lot of work experience. Your classes were your job. And you did work at that supermarket for 3 years. That means you spent 60% of your adult life in one job, which is pretty good. Of course that is "statistical manipulation", but who cares as long as it sounds good in the interview Wink
Try for the job, and do it with confidence.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box JLH

Reply #8 - Jul 27th, 2003 at 11:09pm

Why shouldn't he apply?   If he is a decent candidate he should have no problems.  You can never tell what an agency wants.  They could want someone that is young and moldable to the department, that has no baggage.  They could want someone that has job and life experience even if it is negative.    If at all he will gain experience on how to conduct himself in the future by going through a few hiring processes.  If you get drilled on your oral boards, it is a learning experience.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jul 28th, 2003 at 7:21am
Like i said its not like ive done terrible things like other applicants, Other applicants have terrible credit, and some mesed up by trying mj to much in college. I dont present those problems. At my internship i was well liked by my supervisor and received an A for exellent service to that company. At my job where i worked for 10 months i was asked not to leave by the general Manager.Any way thanks to those who wrote in support. I will apply as much as i can

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box joey

Reply #10 - Aug 10th, 2003 at 2:17am
i have seen people with so much jobs more than wolverine and still managed to get hired. it is tuff keeping a job while in college. so those who think that may be a major problem, i dont think so

IP Logged

Background

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X