Normal Topic medical question (Read 4378 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box wombat
User

medical question
Jun 26th, 2003 at 11:31am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
are there any medical conditions that would prevent a person from taking a polygraph. and i dont mean if you are mortaly ill.
if a person had an irregular heart beat, meaning that some times its low, sometimes high. and that it is especialy erratic when under stress.
any thoughts?

IP Logged

User

Re: medical question
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2003 at 3:08pm
i belive the condition is called Arrhythmia.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Saidme
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2003 at 8:02pm
Wombat

When are you taking this exam?  We've been talking about it for some time now.  I'm curious to hear the outcome (as I stated previously).

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2003 at 10:37am
Here is what the International Association of Chiefs of Police model polygraph policy states regarding medical conditions and polygraph examinations:

Quote:
3. The polygraph examiner shall make such inquiries of the subject's health, medical history and/or use of medications as necessary to determine his/her ability to take the examination. Polygraph examinations shall not be conducted on any person whom the examiner reasonably believes to be physically or emotionally unsuitable for testing. This may include but is not limited to persons with heart conditions, women who are pregnant and individuals taking certain types of medication that may interfere with test results. When in doubt, the examiner may seek guidance from medical or psychological professionals as authorized by this agency and/or request the examinee to obtain a medical certificate from an appropriate health care provider.

Pretty vague, huh?

As Dr. Alan P. Zelicoff, M.D., has noted, "there are no guidelines, articles, or textbook chapters anywhere in the medical, psychiatric and psychology literature on 'medical contra-indications to the polygraph.'"

In practice, it seems that most polygraph operators simply follow the practice recently described by "guest from canada" who observed, "All that mattered to the polygrapher was that I had an arm with a pulse."

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

User

Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2003 at 8:53pm
saidme,
its coming up soon....
do you have an answer to my question?have you encounterd people that cant do the test for some heart problems? 

george,
i get what your saying. but have you seen any were info on the issue of how an irregular heart rayte would affect the test?
(my heart rate is some times around 60 and some times around 100. the change can come quite suddenly).

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2003 at 11:53pm
Wombat,

I think that Dr. Zelicoff's observation that I cited above adequately answers your question.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Saidme
Especially Senior User

Reply #6 - Jun 29th, 2003 at 7:19pm
Wombat

"Heart problems" is pretty vague.  Would I test someone who has had bypass surgery in the recent past?  No.  I have polygraphed a male in his mid 50's who had a mild heart attack approximately one month prior to the test.  The test was conducted with the  concurrence of his doctor.  He was NDI by the way (no countermeasures) which was verified when the subject was identified and ultimately confessed to the offense at hand.

IP Logged

User

Reply #7 - Jun 30th, 2003 at 12:15am
saidme.
specificaly i am reffering to a condition called Arrhythmia.
got any thoughts on this? its a condition were the persons heart beat/pulse can either go rapidly up or down. usualy goes up quite exesivly when stressed.
could this affect the test?
(heart attack is quite different. there is no reason why a person after a heart attack could not do a test. here we are talking about a constantly irregular heart beat).

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Public Servant
Very Senior User

Reply #8 - Jun 30th, 2003 at 5:59am
Wombat,

The person you need to first consult is your physician, not anyone here.  The primary concern should be whether the stress of an examination might adversely affect your health as a result of your condition.  Your examiner will likely ask for your doctor's input once you disclose your condition, so it would expedite the process if you had already discussed it with your care provider.  

If you're concerned about the effect on the exam; the only way to determine that, is by taking the exam. The cardio tracing is only one of three components observed.  If the condition is so disruptive to the tracings, the examiner could either try to make a call using primarily the other two components, or discontinue the exam. The examiner should be evaluating the charts for possible problems caused by a disorder as he collects the charts.  

Sudden changes in heart rate or patterns such as PVC's would only be considered deceptive response if they occurred consitently, and only, at certain questions.  In other words, don't be concerned that if the situation of the test makes your heart "flutter," you are going to "fail."  If these changes are happening randomly, or everywhere, this will not be taken into account.  This indicates a chronic condition or a response to the overal stressfulness of the exam.  Such a cardio patterns would only be seen as deceptive response if only certain questions brought them on.

I have run numerous exams on persons with heart conditions.  One I had to discontinue, one was inconclusive due to inability to get usable charts.  These were extreme cases -- conditions stemming from damage resultant of a past cardiac event.  The one I discontinued was due to my concerns for the person's health, though his physician had cleared him.  

The main concern I have in such a situation is the physical well-being of the examinee.  Though one poster on this site advocated killing examiners, we do not have any similar feelings for examinees.  Not even close.  

Likely, if your condition does not limit your day to day activities to any major extent, and does not require medication, you should be suitable for examination.  But again, your physician should first evaluate if any threat to your health could result.

Good luck.

IP Logged

medical question

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X