Normal Topic DOE Polygraph Chief David M. Renzelman Sacked (Read 10804 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

DOE Polygraph Chief David M. Renzelman Sacked
Jun 22nd, 2003 at 10:10am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  

Former DOE Polygraph Program Chief David M. Renzelman

On 26 February 2003, David M. Renzelman resigned under pressure as chief of the Department of Energy's polygraph program. Renzelman's ouster came following an investigation of derogatory remarks about DOE laboratory employees that he made at DOE's CNA-250 counterintelligence staff course in January.

On 3 March 2003, National Nuclear Security Administration Director Linton F. Brooks was sent an anonymous fax congratulating him on his decision to oust Renzelman:

Quote:
March 3, 2003

Linton F. Brooks
DOE/NNSA
Washington D.C.

SUBMIT VIA FAX: 202-586-4892

Dear Mr. Brooks:

We at Sandia National Labs want to thank you for your leadership and professionalism in dealing with David Renzelman who has been a long-standing embarrassment to the Department.

His derogatory reference to our employees and scientists, especially Dr. Zelicoff, in public forums and meetings is inexcusable and not forgiven by a mere false apology. In his resignation memo (attached), he continues to express his rash of insults by stating one of our employees used countermeasures in a polygraph examination. We also understand Renzelman and his clerk [Anne] Reed have addressed national and state polygraph association gatherings at DOE expense to refute the results of the NAS study, and in doing so, made inflammatory remarks regarding Dr. Zelicoff and Sandia employees who have had problems with polygraph.

Kathy Eberwein recognized the problems with Renzelman years ago but was rebuffed by DOE OCI leadership as they failed to properly address the ethical and contract fraud issues involving Renzelman from his association with [Anne] Reed to his attempt to illegally move the contract to another contractor. Your decision to remove Renzelman from his position as Director of the Inspection and Polygraph Program was met with elation among all ranks within DOE.

As we prepare for the next inspection, we do so with more confidence that we will not be crucified by someone who has lost their objectivity. I beg your pardon for this anonymity, but we still are not trusting. Again, Mr. Brooks, thank you.

The following is the text of Renzelman's resignation memo:

Quote:

Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 4:05 PM

To: Daniel.Baur@CN.DOE.GOV; Stephen.Dillard@CN.DOE.GOV; Doug.Watson@CN.DOE.GOV; nousend@nv.doe.gov; Charlie.Costa@CN.DOE.GOV; Jim.Judge@CN.DOE.GOV; bill.durika@CN.DOE.GOV; Duffin, Andrew J; Anne.Reed@CN.DOE.GOV; Heysel, Avitus J; Leifheit, Frank; Kitchen, David V; Ries, David V; Hanson, Deborah K; Stukey, Donald E; Driver, Douglas D; Loturco, Frank A; Sherman, James J; McCartney, Janice I; Torrence, Larry E; Redmond, Paul J; Corbin, Richard L; Wade, Robert B; Hyatt, Victoria A (Vikki); Deanes, William L; Bedoya, Alex; Killeen, Daniel C; Hendrick, Donald R; Phillips, Donald M; Hoffman, Edward L; Melton, Jerry L; Mata, John P; Fox, Ronald L; Montague, Roy C; Gille, Steven C; Hilton, Tracey J; Vinskey, Wolfgang; caroline.barnes@CN.DOE.GOV; DAN.BRUNO@CN.DOE.GOV; douglas.hinckley@CN.DOE.GOV; THOMAS.HARPER@CN.DOE.GOV; Tod.Brown@CN.DOE.GOV; Tricia.Brown@CN.DOE.GOV; Zandra.Acree@CN.DOE.GOV

Subject: My resignation

All,

In background, during January of this year, I inappropriately referred to a female person who had been practicing countermeasures in one of our polygraph examinations, with inappropriate terms and also related some anecdotes about Scientists at NNSA Laboratories in their attempts to demean polygraph testing, during my presentation at a CNA 250 Course.

A person in this class complained about me in writing and it was referred up to the highest levels of management in DOE and NNSA and it has been decided that I should not and cannot continue as Director of either Program.

While I could try and explain this all day, it would be to no avail and I have this date, voluntarily stepped down as Program Director for both the Polygraph Program and the Inspections Program and will most likely retire in the very near future.

Effective today and until further notice, Anne Reed has been appointed as Acting Director, of both Programs. Dan Baur will be in contact with John Mata for matters pertaining to polygraph cases and Larry Torrence for matters pertaining to inspections.

I have enjoyed working with each and every one of you and will miss the relationships we have enjoyed, (or at least I did) and I will cherish them forever.

I urge your support for Anne Reed in the interim and I thank you for the past.

Semper Fidelis

Dave

Both the anonymous memo to NNSI director Brooks and Renzeman's farewell memo may be downloaded in PDF format here:

http://antipolygraph.org/articles/article-038.pdf
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2009 at 5:09am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Re: DOE Polygraph Chief David M. Renzelman Sacked
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2003 at 6:42pm
Now if they'll just sack the whole program... Grin

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box suethem
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2003 at 10:51pm

A polygrapher making inappropriate comments?

Now that  sounds familiar!

You would think that such a high ranking 'professional' would know better!

But maybe we shouldn't be surprised.  The polygraph community tends to attract the lowest common denominator.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2003 at 11:00pm
It should also be remembered that Renzelman lied to the National Academy of Sciences' Committee to Review the Scientific Evidence on the Polygraph regarding the outcome DOE's 23 December 1998 polygraph examination of Dr. Wen Ho Lee. See the message thread DOE Polygraph Chief Renzelman Caught in a Lie for documentation.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Eastwood
Senior User

Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2003 at 1:08am
The polygraph community should not be criticized as a whole because of one rotten turd.
Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box suethem
Very Senior User

Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2003 at 7:41am
Eastwood,

"the polygraph community should not be criticized as a whole because of one rotten turd..."

I think what you when read what has happened to many posters here on this site you will  see that it is just not 'one turd.'

Even if you wipe away Renzelman and Dr. Gelb there would still be a big pile of turds left.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Eastwood
Senior User

Reply #6 - Jun 29th, 2003 at 6:47pm
"Suethem" - why don't you tell us what happened in your poly - those who pass don't bitch - what were you hiding?  And please, don't give us the standard "I told the complete truth and the machine said I was lying".  I won't buy it.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #7 - Jun 29th, 2003 at 8:26pm
Eastwood,
How quickly you forget Grin
Quote:
If any polygraph examiner made a joke about the pneumo tubes and the size of a pecker, he should be fired on the spot - and have his name broadcast on every internet site available.  It's assholes like that who give all examiners a bad name.  And I guarantee he's had problems before.

Do you not remember posting this message a mere 20 days ago in response to Suethem's post ???

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Onesimus
Very Senior User

Reply #8 - Jun 29th, 2003 at 11:22pm
Eastwood wrote on Jun 29th, 2003 at 6:47pm:
- those who pass don't bitch

Almost everyone I have worked with at my first job, and everyone at my current job has passed one or more polygraphs.  Most of them "bitch" about their experience.  They'll complain about their polygrapher's wild mood swings, accusations about drug use or controlled breathing, etc.  Some have been sufficiently traumatized that they won't even talk about it.

Eastwood wrote on Jun 29th, 2003 at 6:47pm:
And please, don't give us the standard "I told the complete truth and the machine said I was lying".  I won't buy it.

The machines don't accuse people of lying, they just record physiological measurements.  Its the polygraphers that accuse people of lying.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Poly-Killer
Senior User

"Knock, Knock!"

Reply #9 - Jul 1st, 2003 at 9:05am
Onesimus,

I agree 100%...although I had the upper hand in knowing about the games they play, none of my 3 polys were any fun at all. I found the examiners to be rude and very accusatory. I work with alot of officers that have only had one polygraph, and that was enough for them. I have even talked to people that would like to switch agencies, but they don't want to have to sit through the poly again, most say it is too stressful and they are afraid of the repercussions if they are found deceptive while currently employed as a Police Officer. Most just decide it isn't worth the gamble.

I generally just tell them to do some research on the subject and the ones who take my advice and do some research are usually very surprised. The reactions are usually a mix of disbelief, anger and embarrassment when they realize they were duped by these examiners who seem to thoroughly enjoy playing the bully role. It's a little ironic to think these hypocrits have the nerve to squawk about being "completely honest" during these "tests", meanwhile they are lying through their teeth almost from the moment you meet them...gimme a break.  Roll Eyes

Best,
PK

IP Logged

DOE Polygraph Chief David M. Renzelman Sacked

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X