Normal Topic Will this disqualify me? (Read 9257 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box FutureFed?

Will this disqualify me?
Jun 9th, 2003 at 6:38pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I have a question on filling out the FD-140 form for an FBI special agent position.  When I was 20 I worked at a convenience store on campus while at college.  I foolishly played a practical joke on a roommate by filling out a "change of address" form and mailing a bunk money order to get some magazines sent to him.  I did not realize at the time that I was committing mail fraud.   

Anyway, I was not charged or arrested or anything like that but I was questioned by a postal inspector and I admitted to everything.  I was then fired from the job.  My supervisor really liked me and did not want to fire me but she said she had no choice due to the mail offense. 

My question is, do I tell the FBI about this?  I was never formally charged on anything like that and the supervisor no longer works there (the store has been closed).  Any advice would be helpful as this is the only blemish on an otherwise perfect record.  Thanks.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Re: Will this disqualify me?
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2003 at 6:54pm
Quote:
I have a question on filling out the FD-140 form for an FBI special agent position.  When I was 20 I worked at a convenience store on campus while at college.  I foolishly played a practical joke on a roommate by filling out a "change of address" form and mailing a bunk money order to get some magazines sent to him.  I did not realize at the time that I was committing mail fraud.  

Anyway, I was not charged or arrested or anything like that but I was questioned by a postal inspector and I admitted to everything.  I was then fired from the job.  My supervisor really liked me and did not want to fire me but she said she had no choice due to the mail offense. 

My question is, do I tell the FBI about this?  I was never formally charged on anything like that and the supervisor no longer works there (the store has been closed).  Any advice would be helpful as this is the only blemish on an otherwise perfect record.  Thanks.

They may ask whether you've ever been fired from a job, at which time you'll need to speak up about the incident.

Although you didn't mention how long ago the incident occurred, I would think that it would not be treated as a big deal if you told them about it, especially if you were never charged.  To me, it looks like a youthful indescretion, intended as a prank (with little harm done), and it sounds like you learned your lesson.  I can't imagine it would substantially impugn their impression of your judgement, unless accompanied by a bunch of other stuff (though they may give you stern looks when asking for more details).  Remember, absolutely no one is perfect.

The other issue might be whether someone else might say something about it in a background check.  If so, it might be better to mention it.

The decision is up to you, of course.  Again, I don't see this as a big deal, but I'm not a background investigator.  If you do mention it, I think the key would be to bring it up well before the polygraph, if you have to "experience" one (I assume you will).

Skeptic

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2003 at 7:34pm
If there is no way that information about this incident would turn up in a background investigation, then it would be foolish for you to mention it. The incident can only hurt your chances of being hired.

Once you mention it to the FBI, it becomes a matter of record -- part of your FBI file -- and it will follow you for the rest of your life.

Same goes for your being fired. If there's no way this could be discovered in a background investigation, then it's in your best interest not to mention it. You can say you left for personal reasons.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2003 at 7:47pm
Quote:
If there is no way that information about this incident would turn up in a background investigation, then it would be foolish for you to mention it. The incident can only hurt your chances of being hired.

Once you mention it to the FBI, it becomes a matter of record -- part of your FBI file -- and it will follow you for the rest of your life.

Same goes for your being fired. If there's no way this could be discovered in a background investigation, then it's in your best interest not to mention it. You can say you left for personal reasons.

FutureFed,
You might want to go with Anonymous' suggestion, as I'm running on entirely too little sleep to be giving advice right now Smiley

Skeptic

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2003 at 7:58pm
Dear Future Fed,

The FD-140 form is very specific on asking about termination of employment on less than amiable terms.  This form will serve as a basis for the rest of your security forms in the government should you be hired.

The FBI is very concerned about "omissions" which occur specifically because an applicant is trying to protect their career or advancement potential.  It is far better to tell the truth, have to fill out many memos, and have your application delayed now for a few months than trying to keep straight "all the omissions".

Trust is not something that is convenient.  I am trusting that any law enforcement officer's word is gold.  Those who would "omit the truth" because it could hurt their career chances have to sit down and think about their priorities.

The system is not perfect and I know of many instances where law enforcement officers did not show this integrity.  I respect those who do "live their lives under the microscope".

A tough decision which is yours alone.

Regards.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2003 at 8:06pm
Fair Chance,

In an ideal world, honesty would be rewarded. In law enforcement hiring, honesty is punished.

Volunteering derogatory information that would not otherwise be obtainable is just plain stupid.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2003 at 8:13pm
Quote:

Volunteering derogatory information that would not otherwise be obtainable is just plain stupid.

Dear Anonymous,

I am not stupid but I have voluntarily provided derogatory information during all of my applications.  When I go on the witness stand, I say the truth, no matter how it will affect my career.  Honesty is not something that you turn on and off at will.  I respect myself for being honest, even when being punished for it.  I never have to look over my shoulder and wonder if anything in the past is going to catch up with me for I have dealt with all of them on the way.

Yes, if being honest is stupid, I will be honest.

Regards.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jun 9th, 2003 at 8:27pm
Fair Chance,

It was not my intention to insult your intelligence. I admire your sense of honor. Unfortunately, bureaucracies have no such scruples.

Volunteering derogatory information that cannot be otherwise obtained can only hurt an applicants chances. Ironically, the hiring process tends to weed out the honest. Those who tell all are most likely to get DQed.

I don't doubt that your intentions are noble, but if you are suggesting to FutureFed? that he should volunteer information about the matter he has described here, I think you're advice is unsound.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #8 - Jun 9th, 2003 at 8:49pm
Let me be more pragmatic.  I have been investigated by the FBI and they have spent alot of time and money searching records that I forgot existed in my lifetime.  None of them were deliberate omissions and nothing anywhere as serious as Future Fed's problem. They were still giving me the "evil eye" until the situations were resolved.   

I will venture to say that Future Fed's problem is not as much a threat to his future employment as lying about it or omitting it.  The FBI has the right to TERMINATE employment anytime in the future for knowingly falsifying application materials.  This issue could be a hidden time bomb to be innocently ignited by some loud mouth in the future during a "ten year college reunion".  May be this postal inspector has a bone up his "a__" and finds out later that you work for the FBI and his relative did not get hired and wants to "leak" information for revenge.

I was never punished for my honesty in my law enforcement applications.  I had memos to write and had to wait extra time.

The pre-screening polygraph is flawed in itself and I consider it an issue on its own merit.

Please reconsider all "omissions" carefully during applications.  I have seen many officers walked out the door concerning things that happened years ago and were not disclosed.

Regards.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jun 9th, 2003 at 9:22pm
Well, it looks like I'll have to investigate and see if anyone else who might know this is still around.  What kind of paperwork would the postal inspector have kept?   

Also, if you fail the background test, does the fbi let you know what specifically failed you?  or do they just say "you failed"?  Thanks again.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #10 - Jun 9th, 2003 at 9:35pm
FutureFed,
You have no guarantees that this incident will not surface in a background check. If you acknowledge the job you were fired from, they may call to confirm the reason for your termination. If you leave the job off the list, they may discover it in a cross-reference to your Social Security records, which would probably throw up a red flag they would want to investigate.
Your choice, but I vote for you telling them about the entire thing now.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jun 9th, 2003 at 11:25pm
orolan wrote on Jun 9th, 2003 at 9:35pm:
FutureFed,
You have no guarantees that this incident will not surface in a background check. If you acknowledge the job you were fired from, they may call to confirm the reason for your termination. If you leave the job off the list, they may discover it in a cross-reference to your Social Security records, which would probably throw up a red flag they would want to investigate.
Your choice, but I vote for you telling them about the entire thing now.

That's the way I'm leaning right now.  It was a stupid mistake and I'd hate to make another one by leaving it off and not admitting to it.  Do you think it is grounds for disqualification?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #12 - Jun 10th, 2003 at 1:20am
FutureFed,
Considering that the FBI overlooks drug and alcohol abuse from your past if enough time has elapsed, I can't see them disqualifying you for a college prank. We have all done some stupid things in our lives. After all, George Dubya has a DUI conviction and he's the President.
I think your candor about the incident will far outweigh any possible negatives from it.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Will this disqualify me?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X