Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Fakegrah test (Read 10775 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Can't Say

Fakegrah test
May 28th, 2003 at 10:28pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Despite the strog recomendation in the reading, I may decide to take a polygraph test in a small misdomenar criminal investagation. 

I fear if I refuse, it will cast a shadow of gulit on my part and probe further investagation by the dectives working on the case? Any thoughts?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Seeker
Very Senior User

"There are only two sins:
 The first is to interfere
with the growth of another
human being, and the
second is to interfere
with one's own growth."
 Anonymous

Re: Fakegrah test
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2003 at 11:28pm
Quote:
Despite the strog recomendation in the reading, I may decide to take a polygraph test in a small misdomenar criminal investagation. 

I fear if I refuse, it will cast a shadow of gulit on my part and probe further investagation by the dectives working on the case? Any thoughts?

I should think that the mere suggestion of a polygraph is a clear indication of a shadow of guilt already around you.  I believe to submit to a polygraph examination at this point can only compound this assumption.

Regards,
Seeker

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Reply #2 - May 29th, 2003 at 12:34am

Fair Enough. However, I've worked out a deal with the police that would drop any pending investagation assuming that I pass the polygraph. (or atleast marginally pass it)

Furthermore, the proctor won't be some LE flunkie it'll be an idependent 3rd party tester. Selected from a list my lawyer will sumbit.

Armed with the countermeasures on this website, and a large amount of innonce in the matter ... is this still not a smart thing to do?

IP Logged

Reply #3 - May 29th, 2003 at 12:39am
Embarrassed
Quote:

I believe to submit to a polygraph examination at this point can only compound this assumption. 

Of course that is not true, If I submit to one, pass it. It will intrun exhonrate me. It can't only compount this assumption it can only do that if I fail.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - May 29th, 2003 at 12:40am
Can't Say,
Just how strong a case do they think they have, if they're willing to drop it for a passing polygraph? Or perhaps they're hoping you will fail, so they can use that against you. You aren't in a state that admits polygraph evidence in court, are you? If the case is weak, I wouldn't think the D.A.'s office would expend a lot of time and effort on a misdemeanor case, especially if you demanded a jury trial.
I agree with Seeker, and would advise against taking the polygraph.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box The Shadow
User

Who knows what evil lurks
in the hearts of men?
 The Shadow knows

Reply #5 - May 29th, 2003 at 2:40am
Can't Say,

I would suggest that you not take the test.  If you are being offered a polygraph in a criminal investigation, I think it is safe to say that the investigators really don't have a lot of evidence against you.  Ask your attorney what they will do if you don't take the test.

If you pass you say they will drop the case, if you fail and don't allow them to interrogate what happens then?  You say if you don't take the test you will look guilty....  They think your guilty now!

Best bet is to make them do their job and investigate the
small misdemeanor.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - May 29th, 2003 at 3:57am
So the general consensus is despite im innonce even, armed with countermeasures, my safest bet is to avoid the polygraph.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Reply #7 - May 29th, 2003 at 4:39am
Quote:
So the general consensus is despite im innonce even, armed with countermeasures, my safest bet is to avoid the polygraph.

Correct. It is *never* in your best interest to waive your Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination.

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #8 - May 29th, 2003 at 5:55am
Can't Say,

I agree with Seeker. The very fact that you've been asked to submit to a polygraph interrogation is clear indication that the detectives involved already suspect you. I think it would be wise for you to refuse the polygraph and to not speak with the police in the absence of legal counsel.

Did you receive the guarantee that the investigation would be dropped if you pass the polygraph in writing?

Does this guarantee by the police require you to sign a stipulation agreement whereby you provide advance consent that the polygraph results may be admitted as "evidence" in court?

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Reply #9 - May 30th, 2003 at 1:34am
Undecided

Yes of course, the agreement is in writing. However, they have not yet asked to allow the test to be admissible. They might, in which case I would never take it. Is there a way to know wether or not polygraph's are admissible in my state? That'd be important information.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #10 - May 30th, 2003 at 8:32am
Unstipulated polygraph results are generally not admissible as evidence in criminal cases. However, the results might be considered in such judicial proceedings as search warrant requests, bail or sentencing hearings, or in any civil litigation that might be brought against you. In addition, if you don't pass, the results could be leaked to the press to tarnish your reputation in your community.

I think it would be best to check with your lawyer regarding the circumstances under which the results of this polygraph examination might be used in judicial proceedings in your state. Bear in mind that any statements made by a suspect during a polygraph examination will generally be admissible, whether or not such is the case with regard to the polygrapher's interpretation of the polygraph charts.

I still believe that it is unwise for anyone suspected of a crime to submit to a polygraph interrogation. However, if you decide to go ahead with it, other reasonable safeguards that I think it would be wise for you to insist on include:

1) that you be provided with a list of the questions to be asked at least a full day in advance so that you may review them with your lawyer;

2) that your lawyer be with you throughout the entire procedure (pre-test, in-test, post-test);

3) that the entire procedure be audio or video recorded and that you be provided with a copy of the recording immediately upon completion of the examination.
« Last Edit: May 30th, 2003 at 9:17am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Reply #11 - May 31st, 2003 at 2:04am

Roll Eyes

Is there really even a remote possiblity that they'd actually GIVE me the questions before they ask?

IP Logged

Reply #12 - May 31st, 2003 at 2:07am
???

On to a bigger issue, why is it so black balled to take a polygraph test in a criminal investigation? I mean it seems to me a some-what decent opportunity for exhonrating yourself. Esp, knowing that the primary goal tends to be a confession.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #13 - May 31st, 2003 at 10:00am
The questions to be asked will all be reviewed with you during the "pre-test" phase. There is no legitimate reason for not providing them to you in advance.

As for why taking a polygraph "test" in a criminal investigation is so widely advised against, it's because the "test" is a fraud. It doesn't detect lies. It doesn't detect deception. As used by many law enforcement agencies, it's little more than a ruse for getting a suspect to agree to an interrogation in the absence of counsel. And truthful people run a significant risk of "failing," as demonstrated in the Molly Bish case, where 11 different suspects "failed."

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brian

Reply #14 - May 31st, 2003 at 6:44pm
Knowing what I have gone through regarding polygraphs I would NEVER submit to one again if given a choice.   
Let me tell you this can't say;
I never even smoked a cigarrette and my application got dq'ed because the poly said I was deceptive.   

I also agree with the idea that they probably do not have much evidence if they want to go on a fishing expedition called the polygraph.  Its just another way for LE to interrogate you.  Even though they will not administer the exam who do you think will be submitting the questions.  It is a no win situation to take the polygraph.

IP Logged

Fakegrah test

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X