Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Question about background check for the FBI (Read 14555 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mike R.

Question about background check for the FBI
May 27th, 2003 at 12:47am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I'm going into my 3rd year of studying biology at a university and have lost some interest in going to med school. However throughout this past year I became interested in joining the FBI's forensic science unit. There is a problem though, when I was 17 I was given a misdemeanor ticket (minor in posession of alcohol). I've stayed away from all illegal drugs throughout my life, however I did have a beer once at my own house and was caught and given a ticket for a low BAC. Fortunately, I wasn't arrested or given any harsh penalties, just the ticket fine. I was wondering if this will have any impact on a future career with the FBI or any other government agencies. Thank you.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Re: Question about background check for the FBI
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2003 at 2:36am
Mike,
Out of my field of knowledge, but I'll take a stab based on other posts I've read. Odds are that by the time you get to the application process the offense will be too far back to matter. And if you are forthcoming about it on the application, it should not be a problem.
Now it gets sticky. If the examiner doesn't like you and he/she can't find anything else to use, this will be it. You will "have a little trouble" with the alcohol abuse question. You will be asked if you are hiding something. You will be interrogated until you bring forth an "admission" that you drank alcohol on more than one occasion while under age. Once you've done that, the examiner will move on to your current habits regarding alcohol abuse. Saying you don't drink at all will only make him/her try even harder. If you don't admit, then you will "fail" and be blacklisted from most federal law enforcement jobs. Is it worth the risks?
Forget the FBI. Go to work in the private sector. The money is a lot better anyway.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Amused

Reply #2 - May 27th, 2003 at 3:18am
Orolan the Moron - you never cease to amaze me.  You don't hesitate to give advice on every subject - even those that by your own admission you know absolutely nothing about.  Oh well after all you are just following the example of your hero George 'BS'er in Chief'.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box triple x
Very Senior User

Fear what you cannot see...

Reply #3 - May 27th, 2003 at 3:23am
Mike R.,

You should continue to pursue your career ambitions and dreams at all cost, let nothing stand in your way. 

Having said that; its strictly my opinion, you have little-to-nothing to worry about with respect to the ticket you received at age 17, and your potential future employment with the bureau. Simply be completely truthful, honest and forthright with the FBI employment and background investigation {SF86} application, and you will do fine.

However, I do caution you to educate yourself with the methodology supporting polygraph testing. Simply telling the truth and being completely honest during a polygraph exam, is no guarantee of passing the test.

Polygraph testing is riddled with trickery, deceit and is intentionally misleading.

False positive results are not uncommon.

If you have not already done so, I strongly recommend that you download and read {TLBTLD} available for free of charge here on this website.

Knowledge is power, educate yourself.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

orolan,

You wrote:
Quote:
Is it worth the risks? 
Forget the FBI. Go to work in the private sector. The money is a lot better anyway.

I strongly disagree with your attempt to discourage Mike R. {or anyone else for that matter} from following his interest with the bureau and/or any other Federal agency. They are all highly respected, admirable and excellent jobs to have. Money is not everything. 

You should give more thought to the advice you so freely give out.

Mike R., 
Pursue your dreams with the bureau, and please keep us posted on your progress.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
triple x
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2003 at 4:12am by triple x »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Reply #4 - May 27th, 2003 at 4:11am
Mike,

If this boneheadcan pass the almighty FBI polygraph interrogation and become a Supervisory Special Agent, surely you can as well.

Meet Supervisory Agent John T. Hanson: Appliance Assassin

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #5 - May 27th, 2003 at 4:24am
Amused,
Since I did qualify my response, your post is nothing but a waste of bytes on a hard drive. 'Nuff said.

triple x,
Just my opinion. It is apparent from his post that working for the FBI is not Mike's lifelong dream or ambition as you seem to allude. Perhaps if he had stated that he has wanted this ever since he was a little boy I might have responded in a different tone. As for working for federal agencies, how can a person have a "highly respected, admirable and excellent job" as you point out, when those same agencies condone the use of a test "...riddled with trickery, deceit and is intentionally misleading." as you also point out ???

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mike R.

Reply #6 - May 27th, 2003 at 4:52am
Thank you all for your responses, they've helped me a bunch so far.  However another question - would the government agencies know about the ticket I received or would it just be a standard question during the polygraph testing.  For instance, when they do a background check they'd find out either way right?  Or is it that minor misdemeanors like this aren't important and they could care less (unlike felonies).  Thank You.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #7 - May 27th, 2003 at 5:18am
beech trees,

Well, there goes the "highly respected" part of triple x's job description.

Amused, 
Have you been to Vegas lately ???

LOL Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box triple x
Very Senior User

Fear what you cannot see...

Reply #8 - May 27th, 2003 at 5:24am
orolan,

You wrote:
Quote:
how can a person have a "highly respected, admirable and excellent job" as you point out, when those same agencies condone the use of a test "...riddled with trickery, deceit and is intentionally misleading." as you also point out

Spin your advice any way that you like. Its obvious that you possess a degree of resentment towards Federal LE employment for your own personal reasons. Im curious, does your resentment stem from a bad experience with pre-employment polygraph testing.? 

I do not hold the FBI and/or any other Federal LE agency responsible for unreliable pre-employment polygraph testing. I have worked with the FBI, and I personally have many close personal friends that are currently Special Agents within the bureau that do not support polygraph testing in general. This is regardless if it is the initial pre-employment polygraph exam, or, the required 5-year PR [periodic review] which includes a polygraph exam to maintain a TS clearance.

Im strongly opposed to pre-employment polygraph testing in general, not federal LE employment. 

Anyone seeking employment with the FBI and/or any other Federal LE agency should strive to achieve their goals. Do not give up short of success. Simply because you do not think the FBI or other federal agencies are worthy of pursuit, dont attempt to swayed others from their goals due to your own personal reasoning and resentments. 

You quoted me correctly; I stand behind my post with respect to the FBI and the various other federal agencies being respected, admired and excellent jobs. They are indeed respected and sought after positions. Most members of this message board have probably applied for and been denied Federal LE employment positions mostly due to failed pre-employment polygraph exams.

My position on this issue is now, and has always been, pre-employment polygraph testing is unfair, unreliable and flawed.  

Triple x
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2003 at 6:37am by triple x »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Seeker
Very Senior User

"There are only two sins:
 The first is to interfere
with the growth of another
human being, and the
second is to interfere
with one's own growth."
 Anonymous

Reply #9 - May 27th, 2003 at 6:53am
Quote:
Mike,

If this boneheadcan pass the almighty FBI polygraph interrogation and become a Supervisory Special Agent, surely you can as well.

Meet Supervisory Agent John T. Hanson: Appliance Assassin

ROTFLMAO
Grin
beech trees:

Thank you for that lovely opportunity for me to further endear myself to the bureau boys!  I am sure the bulk email I sent out to them all will be sure to raise me in the ranks of those who are favored!

Guess they can't use that appliance in their interrogations now, huh?

I heard a story once about an agent who shot himself in the ass at Quantico.  That one was about as rich as this one!  Too bad it didn't get the press it deserved.

LOL
Regards,
Seeker

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Poly-Killer
Senior User

"Knock, Knock!"

Reply #10 - May 27th, 2003 at 7:24am
Mike R.,

Although I cannot speak from personal experience in the FEDERAL LE community, I can speak from my experiences within the scope of local LE. If the only thing you are worried about is a misdemeanor cite of my state's equivalent to "Underage Consumption of Alcohol", you shouldn't have too much to worry about. That is, of course, assuming there are no other "indiscretions" that surface during your BI. Just be candid with them, accept responsibility for your actions, tell them you have learned from your mistake, blah blah blah. From what I know about LE, these are the things they want to hear ( I don't imagine the FBI would be that different) . I undertand Orolan's feelings, but I have to agree with triple x on several counts. Certainly, if it is your goal to work for the Feds, GO FOR IT, but I would also suggest you follow his advice and educate yourself about the entire hiring/BI process as much as possible, including (especially) the polygraph. 

Good luck!
PK

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #11 - May 27th, 2003 at 7:47am
Mike R.,

Before you decide whether to seek employment with the FBI, you should weigh the risk of a false positive polygraph outcome (and its potential long-term adverse consequences) against the benefits of FBI employment. In my opinion, the FBI polygraph is a risk not worth taking, for reasons I've explained in my article, "Just Say 'No' to FBI Polygraphs."

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Senior User

"Knock, Knock!"

Reply #12 - May 27th, 2003 at 9:29am
George,

Are you saying that no one should should try to work for the FBI in a capacity that requires a polygraph? If so, wouldn't it be worth the risk to educate yourself on the polygraph and go into the process armed with that knowledge? If it is indeed a persons goal, or even a dream, to work for them, what is the risk of going for it versus the risk of regret 10, 15, 20 or more years down the road for not having tried? I am only speaking for myself, but I think not giving my dream a shot would weigh too heavily on my mind.

Maybe I am missing the bigger picture here, but, I think if it were me, and it was a lifelong ambition, I would go for it, if it was merely being considered as a "good job" I would have to give some serious consideration to the risks, rewards, consequences etc. Ultimately the decision lies with each individual (no pun intended). I do believe that if an individual does decide to pursue that course (employment with the FBI), they definitely have an advantage if they go into the process educated about the poly and it's shortcomings.

Just a thought,
PK
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2003 at 12:32pm by Poly-Killer »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #13 - May 27th, 2003 at 9:52am
Poly-Killer,

All positions with the FBI require a pre-employment polygraph examination. The consequences of failing the FBI polygraph are so severe and lasting that I don't think it's worth the risk. Of course, each person must make their own decision. But those for whom FBI employment has been a dream need to wake up to the fact that the FBI is quite willing to permanently brand them as drug users, drug dealers, and national security risks based solely on polygraph chart readings, that there is no formal appeal process, and that the adverse consequences of a false positive with the FBI are more severe than with other federal agencies.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Senior User

"Knock, Knock!"

Reply #14 - May 27th, 2003 at 10:10am
George,

Thanks for the reply, I was unaware that all FBI positions require a polygraph. I see your point, there are some heavy dues to pay if you fail. I was merely speaking about my own personality when it comes to "going for it." I guess that makes for a tough decision, if you know about the consequences. What about those who enter the process not being fully aware of the possible repercussions? Those are the ones who really stand to be blind-sided.

Thanks again,
PK

« Last Edit: May 27th, 2003 at 12:33pm by Poly-Killer »  

IP Logged

Question about background check for the FBI

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X