Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) FBI Diversity (Read 11352 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

FBI Diversity
May 21st, 2003 at 9:33pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
According to the "Good Morning America" show this morning, the FBI's new recruiting drive is not showing much diversity.  They stated that only 17% were woman and 5% were non-white.

Of the 900 applicants processed since 9/11/01, over 100 have already left the FBI.

I hope the attitude and bias that I was exposed to during my second polygraph is not an undercurrent of a more serious problem of "good-ole-boy" syndrome.   

I sometimes wonder if the polygraph pre-screening program is being used to remove candidates who pose a risk of not "toeing the agency line."

I am sure that all agencies would want to be 100% truthful in front of Congress (unfortunately, historic examples do not agree with me as many agents had to testify behind curtains during 9/11 investigations held by Congress because of possible retaliation from the truth).

Something to think about.
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2003 at 5:43am by Fair Chance »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Seeker
Very Senior User

"There are only two sins:
 The first is to interfere
with the growth of another
human being, and the
second is to interfere
with one's own growth."
 Anonymous

Re: FBI Diversity
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2003 at 11:45am
Quote:
According to the "Good Morning America" show this morning, the FBI's new recruiting drive is not showing much diversity.  They stated that only 17% were woman and 5% were non-white.

Of the 900 applicants processed since 9/11/01, over 100 have already left the FBI.

I hope the attitude and bias that I was exposed to during my second polygraph is not an undercurrent of a more serious problem of "good-ole-boy" syndrome.  

I sometimes wonder if the polygraph pre-screening program is being used to remove candidates who pose a risk of not "toeing the agency line."

I am sure that all agencies would want to be 100% truthful in front of Congress (unfortunately, historic examples do not agree with me as many agents had to testify behind curtains during 9/11 investigations held by Congress because of possible retaliation from the truth).

Something to think about.

Fair_Chance:

First, hey there!  Long time since we talked.  I hope all is well.

You know, in the capacity that I dealt with the FBI, I saw a lot of this "good old boy"  "cookie cutter" type of thing.  In once instance, I observed a meeting between agents and an Arab American male.   This followed a meeting with a blonde-haired, blue-eyed, buff kind of man.  The differences were SO marked that I about passed out in utter shock!

The problem goes much further than the FBI however.  Reports of racial and ethical slurs made by an A USA went totally unchecked and was not investigated by the DOJ IGs office.  The direct quote from their response was 
"The Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR) has juridicstion to investigate allegations of misconduct involving Department of Jusice attorneys or law enforcement personnel that relate to the exercise of an attorney's authority to investigate, litigate or provide legal advise.  United States Attorneys and law enforcement personnel are vested with broad discretionary authority to determine whether and how to pursue criminal investigations and prosecutions.  Absent specific information suggesting that the discretion was corruptly, or otherwise inappropriately, exercised, OPR will not review the exercise of that authority."

The specific complaint stated that the A USA asked a CI with the FBI "Why are you Muslim?  Are you stupid?"  This followed a physical breakup between the CI and A USA.

Sadly, this issue of lack of diversity and refusal to embrace such is the norm within many agencies.

Regards,
Seeker

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NVictim
New User

Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2003 at 6:27pm
Seeker, your shock with the different treatment that people get shows me that you are good hearted and not exposed to the life of an ethnic minority.

I am an 'ethnic minority' and your story did not shock me one bit.  I do appreciate you telling that story.  I will never know the thoughts that goes inside a white male and the same could be said that they will never know the other.  The simple fact is life experience for both is different in almost every way that is important in buidling character, such as religion and culture.

I dont want to play the race card and I dont believe I am when I say that I feel more comfortable if I am examined by ethnic minority polygrapgher than a white male polygragher.  Why? Because I dont believe they will understand the life experiences I have lived.  My polygrapgher 'went fishing' about my childhood.  To make a long story short, I hated my childhood, not only was I an ethnic minority in my neighborhood (I was reminded constantly) we were poor on top of that.  Anyway, since the polygrapher went fishing and apparently they wanted 'something' I told a story about my childhood that I wasnt particulary proud of ( it was about instigating a fight, I felt bad that I won, why? because there are other way to deal with problems and I have learned from that).  The polygragher wasnt satisfied with the story.  I told them a story that has built my character. and is today still important to me and they blew it off like some bad joke.  By the next poly exam, the polgragher completely twisted my story around which was very upsetting.  Did they even listen to a word I said? Did they understand my frustations in my childhood that built the man I am today?  A man that is very tolerant of differences and considerate to others feelings?  Apparently the government doesnt need a person like me.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2003 at 6:58pm
Dear NewVictim,

I do not know what it is like to be in your shoes nor will I even pretend to.   I have stated in earlier posts that the majority of law enforcement is white and that minorities represent an out-of-proportion percentage incarcerated.  This discussion is one that interest me greatly because I have been surrounded by very good non-white law enforcement officers and they have greatly assisted me in looking at everyone with a "blind eye."  They do not defend anyone breaking the law but they do remind me to look at a group of youths going down the street the same way regardless of white, black, hispanic, etc., etc..  Truly equal treatment is a hard concept in our society and it takes a determined continual effort on my part to be consistant.  The first few words and looks exchanged can mean the difference between confrontation and cooperation.

The FBI has to do more.  The perception that it is a "white" organization is only added to if an interrogator cannot change his outlook to expand beyond his own.   I could not make much out of the questions that I was asked either sometimes.

The military was such an intense lesson for me when I finally realized that when someone was watching my back in the middle of the night, I could not see his skin color.  All I cared about was surviving the night and my life was in their hands.

Regards

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - May 22nd, 2003 at 7:51pm
"The first few words and looks exchanged can mean the difference between confrontation and cooperation."

That is so true!

"The perception that it is a "white" organization is only added to if an interrogator cannot change his outlook to expand beyond his own.   I could not make much out of the questions that I was asked either sometimes"

That is why the polygragh is so useless, you are only playing the game within their boundaries of their life experiences.  I would love to know the failure rate of a minority as oppose to the other.

"I do not know what it is like to be in your shoes nor will I even pretend to.   "

Same here   Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #5 - May 22nd, 2003 at 9:36pm
New Victim,

You write:

Quote:
I would love to know the failure rate of a minority as oppose to the other.

See this 1990 racial bias study (1.3 mb PDF) conducted by the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute (DoDPI). In the study, only 23.5% of innocent blacks passed, compared to 36.9% of innocent whites. DoDPI attempted to suppress this study, but fortunately, a copy escaped destruction.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box The_Breeze
Very Senior User

Reply #6 - May 22nd, 2003 at 11:00pm
New Person
Since you asked, I looked up the polygraph log for FY93.  Not that I support your assertion, but you made me curious...How were we doing?
Believe it or not I counted the number of DI tests, and it was exactly 50/50.  Thats right, an equel number of whites failed as minorities so far this year.  Now this example is hardly scientific, and the sample is limited, but that is what it is.
If it makes a difference, I live and work in an area with a high minority (hispanic and Native american) population.
That population reflects the applicant mix, so it is not a disproportunate number.  Hope this small example from the real world helps.
Ps. Your a victim if you expect to be, in my opinion.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #7 - May 22nd, 2003 at 11:08pm
Breeze,

Without knowing the relative numbers of white and non-white applicants polygraphed, one cannot infer much from the fact that equal numbers of whites and non-whites failed.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #8 - May 22nd, 2003 at 11:20pm
"Ps. Your a victim if you expect to be, in my opinion. "

I completely did not understand what you just said.

I never expected to fail the polygrapgh, in fact, I thought it was a cake walk because I had nothing to hide.  I may have been a victim of junk science, but that does not mean I wont fight back.  I dont need your pity.

Thank you for your scientific study, I am sure the govermment will be willing to pay you the same amount of money they paid to the NAS that prove the polygrapgh is a hoax.  Congratulations your a rich man.

You live in a population of a high minority population, dont tell me, I can guess this one,... Your best friend is a minority.

The real world? What world do you think I live in?

PS.  Life is what you make it... Thats why I am a very successful professional today.  Can you believe I was willing to cut my pay in half so I can serve this country?

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #9 - May 22nd, 2003 at 11:37pm
New Victim
Ill put it back in since it fits.
I thought it was pretty clear I was just furnishing some anecdotal evidence from my departments experience this year.  Your gripping attempt at racial sarcasm have shaken me deeply, perhaps you should just relax and re-read my post to see if I actually extended pity.
You evidently feel that a stumble on your polygraph has greater implication than it has.  Thats a true victims mindset.
No "my best friend is black" comments from me, as you are fine tuned to detect racial injustice in all its ugly forms.  Id give you advice like :relax or lighten up, if I thought you would listen to this racially discriminating white man.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #10 - May 23rd, 2003 at 12:09am
All I know is that the polygraph does not work, and a simple bias (which we all have) from an examiner shows a weakness in the polygraph system.

My story I shared regarding my polygraph experience is only a tibit of the 10 total grueling hours I spent in this flawed system.  I did not say that it was the sole purpose of failing the polygraph.  In fact I dont know why I failed.  The exmainer mentioned that it may just be that I am pron to be 'excited' when it came to questions regarding serious crime.  In the end the examiner was very freindly.  Of course I had to sit through the good cop/ bad cop routine from the same person which looked silly and not believable.  Anyway you cant argue with the best polygraph examiner this country has to offer as they stated.

I was just curious as you are as to whatever the answer is regarding how prejudice and or ignorance may effect the the polygraph system.

Yes I took offense to your comment "Your a victim if you expect to be" beacuse I still dont understand it.  Before that statement I didnt think much of your post at all.

Here is what I thought it meant "I brought the situation to myself because I expected to fail"  My answer is of course, I did not bring this situation to myself and I expected to pass.

And your comment about the real world.  If you live in the real world, where does everyone else live? And who are you referring to?  Are you saying only polygraph examiners live in the real world?

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #11 - May 23rd, 2003 at 12:58am
Victim
Good, your doing better.
I meant, if one slip up (lets blame the examiner for simplicity) holds you back, that would be a victims thinking. I get to see alot of that as you might imagine on my job.
Real world. This means not a theoretical study published by DODPI or elsewhere that seems to show minorities are subject to polygraph bias.  I meant it in a friendly way you took to be condescending.  Together we expose your sensitivity, its beautiful.
I have been denied a job (believe this if you want) because I was white. It was a job that took a year of tests, and I was candidly told by my background investigator that they needed minorities, and had too many white males. What a great lawsuit if I was so inclined.
I have never looked back and like you have done fine.  A person prone to blameing the system could be paralized by such a setback.  Thats what a victim is.
Now that we understand each other, hows it goin?

IP Logged

New User

Reply #12 - May 23rd, 2003 at 1:55am
Breeze,

I re-read your post and figured out what may have touched off the response (Race is a touchy subject as it is).  You called me 'New Person' which isnt my name.  That is usually a sign of disrespect (Guess names is a touchy subject also).  I dont know you from Adam and thats the first contact you have with me.  Hence I had my guard up and my radar on.    Lets go back to the comment "The first few words and looks exchanged can mean the difference between confrontation and cooperation."  You got confrontation

Your right, its a victims mentality to blame others.  I blame noone.  However, I hope the polygraph goes away.  In the meantime, life does go on.

Its too bad you didnt your job because of a race quote, I think its wrong and just as evil as racism.  I hope that goes away as well.

Ahem, on a side note, hope you dont take offence.  Your comment "Good, your doing better" sounds a little condesending.  Its something you say to a child or your student which I am neither.  But, since I kinda know where your comming from I will think nothing of it.  I just want you to be aware what you say can cause a reaction you did not intend.  I hope "you do better" in that area as well.

Now that we understand each other, I am doing fine.  Hopefully, I will get to know you from Adam.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #13 - May 23rd, 2003 at 2:34am
NV
I've enjoyed our brief exchange.  Its amazing how something presented in jest or simple sarcasm can be completely misunderstood.
I did not want to call you new victim out of respect, you dont seem victim like to me.
Your doing better means your not thinking like an angry person as you type. Its also basic sarcasm. (call it a character flaw) One of my degrees is in education however, so maybe that with teaching on the side since 1987 makes me think Im always on some sort of podium.
Ill take your advice and make it a point to get better. 
See you later, I cant stand to come here too much, and Ive overdone it today as my cases suffer.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #14 - May 23rd, 2003 at 2:46am
George
thanks for waiting, and for the correction of year.  I did not completely understand your comment about realitive numbers.
The number represents 100% of our total, and is as I said a non scientific observation.  Just a snapshot.  Should I become really bored, I will ask the administrator of pseudo scientific fraud to pull all charts results of the past 5 years, and see if this equality in failure that I see now, has a historical/ racial slant one way or another.

IP Logged

FBI Diversity

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X