Normal Topic Credit-Big deal during background? (Read 2524 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box treetop
Ex Member

Credit-Big deal during background?
May 15th, 2003 at 10:02pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
When a local police/sheriff agency does a background investigation, how much does credit effect the outcome?  I know bankrupcies and repos are bad news, but what about late payments and collections?  What if all bills are brought out of collections and are current at the time of the background?  What if I am contesting a bad mark on my credit?  Anyone have advise or first hand knowledge?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Re: Credit-Big deal during background?
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2003 at 1:51pm
Dear Treetop,

Many government agencies are associating poor credit history with a much higher propensity for corruption due to monetary needs.  If you wait until the last minute to take care of past debts, it might appear that you were only doing it to clear the background check.  The more time that goes by between a good credit history and your application will look better.  Smaller departments who get less applicants might give you less scrutiny because of the law of supply and demand.

Regards.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box JLH

Re: Credit-Big deal during background?
Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2003 at 2:22am
When I applied to a SouthWestern police department in Florida I passed the physical abilities test, the polygraph, and the psych test. I also passed the easiest test, qualifying with the 40 cal Glock.   

Everything looked good and dandy.  I was actually feeling like I was going to get the job.  Finally I had the interview with the chief.  This chief was supposed to be a top dude from Washington D.C. Metro, but I wasn't impressed because people can smell intimidation and he breaths the same way I do,(but makes a hell of alot more money).  Anyways, back to the point, I went into the room and he interviewed me with the basic questions, and everything was so dandy that he asked me about my credit.  I said it isn't perfect, but I am working on it.  He told me that I do need to fix it,  because police are held at a high standard and it looks bad when a police officer can't pay his bills.  I stated that I make $1100.00 a month and I got over my head last year moving out unprepared, without savings.  (I am 23, and living back home).  I said isn't anyone allowed to be not perfect?  He replied that there are issues with people taking money, and being on the take.  I said, I am not used to having more than $300.00 in the bank, $29,000 a year would be winning the lottery for me.  My integrity and my poly speak for itself. There is no history of me stealing, or even being accused of stealing money.  Well basically he looked at me like I was wanting to get on the force to steal money.   

By the way they gave me a "don't call us, we'll call you when we are lacking people".

who cares..

IP Logged

Credit-Big deal during background?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X