Normal Topic Sharing polygraph results( Do they?) (Read 6073 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box treetop
Ex Member

Sharing polygraph results( Do they?)
May 14th, 2003 at 9:03pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I applied with the Los Angeles County Sheriffs in 1998.  I turned in my background packet and took the polygrahy.  The polygrapher, during the post-test interview, tolk me that I showed signs of deception with regards to Marijuana usage and cocane.  I told him I never used cocane and that I may have been bothered by the question because my sister failed a polygraph because it showed she was being deceptive when asked about cocane and I thought about that when asked myself.  When asked about why I reacted to 
" Have you used marijuana more than what you told me?",  I told the polygrapher that I do not know why I reacted and I have not used more than I told you.  He had me write this all down on paper and sign it.  I was later told by my background investigator that I should withdrawl my application because there is a good chance I will be disqualified because of a pattern of misbehavior.  She said that nothing in my background alone is disqualifing, but the pattern will most likely result in DQ.  She said if I am DQ, it will be harder to pass a background in the future and said for me to withdrawl my application and try again in a couple years.  She told me to improve upon myself in the mean time and not get into any trouble.  Here are my questions:  I do not know if I passed or failed the polygraph.  Do you think I passed it or failed it?  I am about to test with my local police, which is not in California.  Will they have access to the polygraph, background, and application that I turned into LA Sheriffs?  I admitted to smoking marijuana for a year and a half and about twice a month so less that 40 times total.  Did I burn myself for being so truthful?  The policy here states, no drug use in the last five years.  I have not used in over eight years.  What do you think?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fred F.
Very Senior User

Get Educated.... Knowledge
is Power

Re: Sharing polygraph results( Do they?)
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2003 at 6:48am
Treetop,

Your experience with the LASD polygraph is similiar to mine. When the polygrapher started his "post-test" interrogation, I didn't budge because I had nothing to hide. I also was asked to write down what was troubling me about the "test'. I didn't write anything down, and when he asked I told him that I had told him everything. He asked if I was willing to repeat the test with a different "examiner" I agreed. He LIED, I never got a chance to have a second "test". I was DQ'ed a month later by my BI for nothing related to the polygraph.

Your best bet would be to contact the LASD and find out how long they store pre-employment "jackets", I can't imagine them storing them for more than 3-4 years. The LASD is in a budget crisis and to store thousands of jackets is costly. Another point to remember is how they respond to your query. If they seem put off and give you a vague answer, don't believe it. If they respond professionally and to the point, the information may be accurate. 

Don't let one bad experience get you down. Many agencies don't rely on polygraphs for doing backgrounds instead of doing a thorough investigation.

Good Luck

Fred F. Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box yanks

Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2003 at 8:06am
Treetop, You said you smoked mj for nearly 1 year and a half, 2 times a month.  Im not writing this post to judge you, But this can probably hurt you with many lawenforcement agencies.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box treetop
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2003 at 10:05am
Yanks,

Why would I have a problem?  The policy of the LE agencies in this area is as long as there was no marijuana use within the last 5 years it is ok.  What do you know about it?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box yanks

Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2003 at 4:21am
just because they say 5 years that does not mean they will just forgive the issue. They will also evaluate other areas of the applicant such as credit history, ect.  My cousin is in the LAPD and he knows background investigators in the agency, According to what he said regardless how distant time has passed regarding an applicants drug history it is still looked serious if its more than a certain time. im just posting what i heard, not  judging you

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ladywar

Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2004 at 5:30am
yanks
so you know someone who knows someone and you think YOU now know something?

hummmm coughbullshitcough
Smiley

IP Logged

Sharing polygraph results( Do they?)

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X