Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) what is it costing in $$ (Read 20318 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box suethem
Very Senior User

Re: what is it costing in $$
Reply #15 - May 14th, 2003 at 8:38am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
No_sugar_coating,

Our eyes are wide open! 

You have failed to respond to the most direct questions that I have asked of you- 

Do you think that, as a 'Certified police officer', you know more than The National Academy of Sciences, Dr. Drew Richardson of the FBI crime lab,  Doug Williams, and the rest of the police community who discount the polygraph?  

The 'past behavior' of the polygraph is poor!  It is a confession machine and nothing else.  You probably had a probable-lie control question test- which means you had to lie to pass- So don't fit your halo just yet.

I had a background investigation that took 1 year.  It consisted of more than just a typical PD letter sending campaign.  Each person that I listed in my personal history was contacted.  Each individual then had to name three other people that knew me.  These three new people then had to do the same.

Each of these individuals then had to answer questions about my behavior, spending habits, drinking, relationships....my past.  They also had to trace my location and occupation on a time line.

My step brother, whom I have never met, who lives abroad, got asked just like eveyone else -his wife too.

My friends and co-workers from prior LE jobs were also asked the same questions, each of them had to name three other people who knew me.... it goes on and on a mushrooms into a large number of people.

Each of these people had to give official statements regarding me.  They could not just fill in a box that says recommend/not recommed.

Then when I finally met my BI, I was questioned for about six hours about dates, contacts, finances, relationships, friends, co-workers, etc...  My BI went over and over everything from ten different angles and attitudes.

I won't go on any further about the BI other than to say a real one takes more than just three hours. After all this happened, it was written up and had to then pass two more investigators for completion.  I passed with flying colors.

So your saying that a polygraph exam (that has been discredited by the Supreme Court, National Academy of Sciences, Dr. Drew of the FBI crime lab...) is more trustworthy than the sworn testimony of around one hundred individuals, including officers and agents from several different agencies, a federal prosecutor, a judge, college professors, and regular citizens?  

That just doesn't make sense!

A real background investigation is composed of multiple sources to form an opinion.  The polygraph takes one source to come to a conclusion.  That source (the polygraph) has been scientifically shot down as completely invalid and innaccurate.

As a police officer you should know that a source that has little reliability should not be used.  How often do you hear polygraph testimony when you are in court?  I thought so.

You can try to scare other people on this site, but I won't be one of them.

Its not accurate, so its financial cost is just waste!  The LE profession cannot afford to waste money or the trust of the citizens it has sworn to protect.  There can be no peace without justice!!

« Last Edit: May 15th, 2003 at 5:21am by suethem »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box no_sugar_coating
New User

Reply #16 - May 15th, 2003 at 1:48am
I'm sorry... I forgot to mention...

You can post on this message board until you are all blue in the face but it won't change the fact that most police and law enforcement agencies use and will continue to use the polygraph as a condition of employment.

Simple as THAT.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #17 - May 15th, 2003 at 2:25am
no_sugar,
You just keep right on towing the department line like a good little sheep. Meanwhile, we'll continue our efforts to end polygraph usage. I do trust that you can remember how to say "Would you like fries with that?", so you can find another job you are qualified for once we succeed.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #18 - May 15th, 2003 at 5:35am
No_sugar_coating

Who gave you your certification?  Was is the Pet Psychic?  Miss Cleo?  Was it the creepy guy from Crossing Over?

You still have not answered my questions.  I wonder why not?

« Last Edit: May 15th, 2003 at 5:34pm by suethem »  

IP Logged

New User

Reply #19 - May 16th, 2003 at 2:14am
LOL!!!

I got my badge...

Where's yours???

LOL!!!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Onesimus
Very Senior User

Reply #20 - May 16th, 2003 at 3:30am
no_sugar_coating wrote on May 16th, 2003 at 2:14am:
LOL!!!

I got my badge...

Where's yours???

LOL!!!

Are there any polite pro-polygraph people that post on this board?

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #21 - May 16th, 2003 at 5:03am
What does LOL!!! mean?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #22 - May 16th, 2003 at 5:17am
no_sugar,
You are starting to remind me of those cops I see all the time that I went to school with. You know, the sniveling little geeks that got picked on all the time? Now they have a badge, and a gun, and a really neat car with lights and everything! And they get to act big and bad now. I say this because no cop who was truly interested in justice would rationalize that the polygraph is a valid scientific machine for any purpose.
And suethem, I think what he means by LOL is "Lame Officer's League"

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Batman
Very Senior User

Reply #23 - May 17th, 2003 at 11:25pm
Wow!  Did this thread ever sink to some name calling lows.

Given all the feelings and beliefs that polygraph should be removed from the law Enforcement hiring picture, what suggestions do you folks have as to how best to hire people into this career?  Keep in mind your arguements about cost to the tax payer.  Do you have any realistic idea as to how much it would cost the taxpayer to do a complete background investigation on each and every applicant?  There has to be some sort of "screening" tool to eliminate the obvious non-hires.  Granted, some good folks may not make it past this screening stage, however and unfortunately, that's the cost of doing business.  Just as it is that some bad apples will make it through the process.

Many may not like the reality of all this, but it is in fact the reality, and until something better comes along...

However, using the "expense to the taxpayer" rational carries little, if any, water.  The costs to the taxpayer would sky-rocket in more ways than just dollars if the polygraph was not used to filter through initial applicants.

But, I'm sure folks like George, Drew, et al, have some cost effective, fool-proof, grand plan to propose, other than just saying polygraph sucks, so do away with it.  Maybe they'll let us in on it some day.

Batman

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box triple x
Very Senior User

Fear what you cannot see...

Reply #24 - May 18th, 2003 at 1:10am
Suethem,

You ask:
Quote:
What does LOL!!! mean?

LOL or, lol is internet chat "slang" {abbreviated} for laughing out loud.

triple x

IP Logged

New User

Reply #25 - May 18th, 2003 at 5:52am
Batman - The only reason they say polygraph sucks is because they failed one.

And no, they will never come up with something to replace it, because that too would eliminate them.

So until something comes along that will allow them to slip through the cracks then they will never be satisfied.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box triple x
Very Senior User

Fear what you cannot see...

Reply #26 - May 18th, 2003 at 7:00am
no_sugar_coating,

You wrote:
Quote:
Batman - The only reason they say polygraph sucks is because they failed one. 

And no, they will never come up with something to replace it, because that too would eliminate them. 

So until something comes along that will allow them to slip through the cracks then they will never be satisfied.

Many readers of this board believe that polygraph testing is simply flawed and unreliable. 

Instead of directing unwarranted and unprovoked personal insults to anyone and everyone that dares to question or challenge polygraph testing in general, why don't you instead try to explain or debate your position as a polygraph supporter.

I have a simple and easy question for you: if polygraph testing is fair, reliable, trustworthy, and has nothing to hide, then why not provide all pre-employment polygraph test subjects with a copy of audio/video tapes, to include all questions, notes and charts following their polygraph exam? 

Why the big shroud of secrecy if there is nothing to fear or hide... ??

triple x

IP Logged

New User

Reply #27 - May 18th, 2003 at 1:15pm
I will give you that. They should allow you to see what your charts and scores look like. 

See... I am not above admitting that.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #28 - May 18th, 2003 at 1:58pm
Batman wrote on May 17th, 2003 at 11:25pm:
Given all the feelings and beliefs that polygraph should be removed from the law Enforcement hiring picture, what suggestions do you folks have as to how best to hire people into this career?

As an invalid diagnostic technique, polygraph screening should simply be removed from the hiring process. It doesn't need to be replaced with anything.

Quote:
Keep in mind your arguements about cost to the tax payer.  Do you have any realistic idea as to how much it would cost the taxpayer to do a complete background investigation on each and every applicant?

You present a false dilemma. The choice to law enforcement agencies is not one of either doing a complete background investigation on each and every applicant or relying on pseudoscientific polygraph chart readings.

The law enforcement hiring process involves a battery of written, verbal, and physical tests. Factors such as a candidate's education, skills, and life experience are also considered. To the extent that there are more applicants than positions available, the standards for hiring may simply be raised, and then only the most qualified candidates may be selected for background investigations.

Quote:
There has to be some sort of "screening" tool to eliminate the obvious non-hires.

What makes someone an "obvious non-hire?"

Quote:
Granted, some good folks may not make it past this screening stage, however and unfortunately, that's the cost of doing business.  Just as it is that some bad apples will make it through the process.

The injustice to individuals associated with reliance on the invalid diagnostic technique that is polygraph screening is completely unnecessary and entirely avoidable. The Philadelphia Police Department came to this realization last year when it abolished polygraph screening.

Quote:
Many may not like the reality of all this, but it is in fact the reality, and until something better comes along...

Unfair labor practices such as polygraph screening may be ended either through legislation (e.g., the 1988 Employee Polygraph Protection Act, from which the government regrettably exempted itself) or by administrative action, such as that taken by the Philadelphia Police Department last year. An invalid technique such as polygraph screening doesn't need to be replaced with "something better." Its elimination is "something better."

Quote:
However, using the "expense to the taxpayer" rational carries little, if any, water.  The costs to the taxpayer would sky-rocket in more ways than just dollars if the polygraph was not used to filter through initial applicants.

I agree with you that the dollar expense to taxpayers is not a strong argument against polygraph screening.

Quote:
But, I'm sure folks like George, Drew, et al, have some cost effective, fool-proof, grand plan to propose, other than just saying polygraph sucks, so do away with it.  Maybe they'll let us in on it some day.

Again, junk science like polygraphy doesn't need to be replaced with "something better." Just as law enforcement applicants are not assessed on the basis such nonsense as palm readings, tea leaf readings, or cranial inspection by a "trained and experienced" phrenologist, they should not be subjected to the quackery of polygraph chart readings.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Batman
Very Senior User

Reply #29 - May 18th, 2003 at 4:45pm
George,

Regardless of your personal beliefs about polygraph, it's validity, or how it is in fact applied, there are obviously many more individuals, and organizations that differ with your opinion.

The city of Philadelphia may have eliminated the use of polygraph as a screening tool for it's law enforcement applicants, however there are many other departments that continue to utilize it, and it is probably a rather safe bet that Philly will use it again in the future.   

You asked what an obvious "non-hire" would be?  Do I really need to answer that?  Use your imagination and I'm certain you can come up with a definition of an obvious non-hire within the realm of law enforcement.

How do you suggest law enforcement agencies weed through the hundreds and thousands of applicants?  You mention things such as,

"…a battery of written, verbal, and physical tests. Factors such as a candidate's education, skills, and life experience are also considered. To the extent that there are more applicants than positions available, the standards for hiring may simply be raised, and then only the most qualified candidates may be selected for background investigations."

I would venture to say that a battery of written, verbal, and physical tests is in fact administered, however later in the hiring process.  As with any job, there must be some way of eliminating the applicants who do not obviously qualify.   

As for raising the hiring standards, how realistic is that in this day and age of equal opportunity.  Just how difficult would it be for any agency to now say they are “raising the bar”?  What would be their justification for doing so?  What parts of the standards get raised?  Are you talking about the ethical standards, the mental standards, the educational standards, or the physical standards?   

George, I’m afraid you are wishing for a very Utopian society.  Very commendable, but not realistic?  As I have said many times on this site, polygraph is a far from perfect tool, but when it is utilized properly, and given only the weight or consideration that is appropriate, it can be a very useful tool.  You want to throw the baby out with the bath water simply because the water is a bit dirty.  No one, in a decision making position, will go along with this.  Which brings us back to Philly, a great city, as long as one does not have to live there.  I predict that within five years they will re-institute the policy of using polygraph when screening law enforcement applicants.  This will come about once they realize how many “bad apples” have gotten through the process.  No doubt the utilization of polygraph would not have, and will not, eliminate the fact that some of those same bad apples would get through the system, but it certainly would have identified many of them.

I wish you luck with your crusade, however until you can develop something a bit more concrete to offer as an alternative, I’m afraid you will not succeed.   

Batman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
what is it costing in $$

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X