Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Failed the exam (Read 14659 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PapaBlueMarlin
New User

Re: Failed the exam
Reply #15 - May 9th, 2003 at 10:04am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I am writing my letter of contest right now.  What should I put in it?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #16 - May 9th, 2003 at 1:50pm
Dear PapaBlueMarlin,

I suggested a format on a posting under "Polygraph and CVSA Forums/ CVSA/ RE:Yet Another Polygraph Question dated 11/21/02@12:11:37.  Just substitute your state police instead of FBI.  I have not had anyone contact me positively or negatively after using this format so I cannot tell you how well it works for other people.  Most of the people who stated to me that they were going to use it also stated that they would contact me if they did not get any results within a few months.  I have not been contacted by anyone yet.  It was successful for me.

Good luck (unfortunately, passing a pre-screening polygraph is like a roll of the dice and some luck is needed).

Regards.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #17 - May 9th, 2003 at 9:47pm
I sent my letter of contest out today by certified mail.  Hopefully, the results will acceptable, but I'm doubtful.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #18 - May 12th, 2003 at 5:37am
Dear PapaBlueMarlin,

Instead of standing by and doing nothing, you have made an effort to defend yourself and send a letter.  This alone makes you stand above the nine out of ten other people who do not send any letter of disagreement with your stated results.  Some people talk the talk, some people walk the walk.  I admire you for taking the time and energy necessary to send your letter of appeal.

Stand your ground and look in the mirror.   You have done well.  At the end of everything else, that is the final measure, looking in the mirror and accepting the image.

Regards.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #19 - May 24th, 2003 at 12:11am
This is the letter I received back from state police:

Dear Mr. _____:

I am writing in response to your letter dated May 9, 2003.  At the outset let me say that any and all materials collected as a part of our employment process are considered confidential and will be maintained in a manner consistent with that designation.

It is unfortunate that our hiring process has eliminated you as a potential intern, as you appear to have the credentials necessary to be a successful forensic scientist.  Our present guidelines are very strict in this regard, successful completion of a polygraph test is a mandatory requirement.  A failure to successfully complete the test simply terminates the process and eliminates you as a potential candidate for the available positions.  Termination of the process should not be interpreted as a "reason to discontinue working in this field."  Nor should it suggest to you that future employment with our agency, or other similar agencies, is an impossibility.

I wish you continued success in your endeavors to work in the field of forensic science.

Sincerely,
Captain ______
Laboratory Director

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #20 - May 24th, 2003 at 6:08pm
PapaBlueMarlin,
Looks like typical BS to me. Did you ask for a re-test in the letter you sent them? If you didn't, you should do so now. You might also ask for the materials related to the 1st one, telling them you wish to submit them to an impartial 3rd-party for QC review.
Odds are they'll tell you that a re-test is not available, and they'll tell you that you can't have the materials. But give them the chance to say so.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

New User

Reply #21 - May 26th, 2003 at 9:59am
I asked for a copy of the materials in my first letter, but I didn't request a retest because I no longer wished to work with that agency.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Poly-Killer
Senior User

"Knock, Knock!"

Reply #22 - May 27th, 2003 at 10:00am
I was just reading this thread and it's a shame what has happened to papabluemarlin. Here is one of the reasons I think this whole poly screening thing should be scrapped. It doesn't have anything directly to do with papabluemarlin's experience, but it is another example of the inaccuracy of the poly. Papablue, I commend you for standing up for youself, I wish more would do the same.

I have, in the past, advised friends and acquantances to challenge their poly results after being disqualified. A very close friend was DQ'd, his letter from the department stated in part "...showed significant emotional response to several relevant questions. This is typically indicative of deception." When I read the letter, I thought "what kind of wishy washy BS is this?" 

Anyway, the more he tried to challenge his results, the more resistance he ran into. When they finally did allow him to retest, it was at his own expense but they still determined when and where the poly took place. The department also forwarded the results of his first poly to the 2nd examiner and, big surprise, he failed. Since this was his 2nd failure, he was told he was no longer eligible for appointment and could not re-apply for 2 years. The deck was stacked against him from the very start. He was understandably very upset and has since pursued other things. Prior to testing, he had graduated with a bachelors degree and criminal justice and an associates in human resource management, he wanted to move up the ranks. He was so angered by this whole sham, he says no longer even wants to be in LE. This is just another example of our department, who always whines about being "undermanned", and the community we serve, missing out on another individual that would have made an outstanding officer and a great leader.  All because of that fine piece of investigative machinery, the all-knowing polygraph. 

What a shame,
PK

IP Logged

Failed the exam

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X