Normal Topic Privacy lost as science pries into brain? (Read 2789 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Privacy lost as science pries into brain?
May 3rd, 2003 at 4:20pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
The article is here. Fair use quote:

Work published last year by Dr. Daniel D. Langleben, assistant profess of psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania, indicated that certain areas of the brain show more activation when people lie. His group is now trying to see whether they can use the technique to produce an effective lie detector, one that would far outperform the deeply imperfect polygraph.

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Re: Privacy lost as science pries into brain?
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2003 at 8:36pm
This brings up the interesting question of what the societal implications are were an actual lie detector that was highly accurate found. My guess is that there would be two types of people at this site:

1. People that have been adversely impacted by false positives and discovered the polygraph's flaws by personal experience.

2. People that fear the truth actually being found and take some comfort in the polygraph's inaccuracy.

What a dichotomy.

Beyond that, there is the residual question of a perfect or nearly perfect lie detector. As an instrument of the state it would revolutionize and increase state power incredibly. It has both positives and negatives and it is interesting to think about the full implications. Imagine various periods in the past and what would have occurred differently had such an instrument existed.

Brave new world.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2003 at 1:56am
Dear Marty,

I am not sure if I would be so brave in such a "scary new world."

Regards

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - May 5th, 2003 at 2:57am
Marty and Fair Chance,
I'm not so sure that the existence of a "perfect" lie detector would do any good. The government will ALWAYS see to it that technology is used to further its' own goals. 
Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World" is one of the 5 or 10 best books ever written (IMHO). Such forward thinking and insight is amazing, and the fact that many things he wrote about have come to past are astonishing. But like you say, Fair Chance, I'm not so sure if I'm brave, scared or just plain disgusted.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Privacy lost as science pries into brain?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X