Normal Topic FBI drug policy and application process (Read 27328 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sara N

FBI drug policy and application process
Apr 26th, 2003 at 10:51pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I am looking for advice on applying for the FBI.  I know a retired agent (didn't want to ask her this question) that is giving me a recommendation and getting my application process started.  I'm currently awaiting the application packet.

I used marijuana once about a year ago, but not more than 15 times in my life.  If I say on my application I used it, I will automatically be disqualified from the application process.  If I don't say I used, (theoretically speaking) let's say I make it all the way to the polygraph...if I explain that I made a stupid mistake and am honest about my usage will they even care or will I automatically be disqualified??  My hope is that by the time I got that far I will have made a very good impression and they might overlook that minor blemish.  I'm a computer engineer which I see the FBI is in need of, and I'm sure that being a female might have its advantages as well.  I guess my real question is should I go ahead and apply and see what happens...or should I wait 2 years until I can say I have not used in the past 3 years.  Also, if I go throught the process and fail the polygraph am I eligible to reapply at a later date??

I can't understand what the big deal is if I were hired this year or 2 years from now...I'm still the same person and I don't intend on ever using again.  My other concern is that I don't want this agent pushing me through and then making her look bad when I fail the polygraph.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box False +
Senior User

Re: FBI drug policy and application process
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2003 at 1:12am
Sara N,

Your situation bears some striking resemblances to my own a few years ago with the CIA. (See my personal statement for all the details if interested.)

You are correct that if you admit to even a one-time marijuana use as recently as a year ago, you would likely be disqualified. That's just agency policy. However, if you're being referred to the FBI by a current agent, that gives an internal reference which, like any job application, is a leg up. If you withhold your marijuana experiment from your FBI friend and admit to it during the application process, you will likely lose out with both your friend and the FBI -- not good.

Two other alternatives exist though. One is to tell your friend about your experiment, and depending on how well she knows you, she could mitigate its consequences against you during the application process. She could possibly convince the FBI it was just a one-time mistake, not indicative of a general bent toward illicit drug usage, which could prevent your automatic disqualification. However, if she pulls that off (no clue as to how likely that is), it's a sure bet that the FBI will make it an explicit part of your polygraph whether or not your drug usage transcends what you reported. If you pass the poly, they may believe you and continue your application. If you don't pass, you're disqualified, and perhaps make your friend look bad (of-course, it would help if your friend is aware that polygraphy is no more than a hussle).

The other alternative, is to completely withhold your one-time experiement with marijuana. I won't advise you which path to go down, that's up to you, as well as is how to deal with the polygraph. Just know that if you inform the FBI of your experiment, you are putting a very large obstacle in front of you. Good luck.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2003 at 6:55am
Quote:
I used marijuana once about a year ago, but not more than 15 times in my life.  If I say on my application I used it, I will automatically be disqualified from the application process.  If I don't say I used, (theoretically speaking) let's say I make it all the way to the polygraph...if I explain that I made a stupid mistake and am honest about my usage will they even care or will I automatically be disqualified??  My hope is that by the time I got that far I will have made a very good impression and they might overlook that minor blemish.  I'm a computer engineer which I see the FBI is in need of, and I'm sure that being a female might have its advantages as well.  I guess my real question is should I go ahead and apply and see what happens...or should I wait 2 years until I can say I have not used in the past 3 years.  Also, if I go throught the process and fail the polygraph am I eligible to reapply at a later date??

Dear Sara,

My recent and ongoing experience with the FBI application process would agree with False+'s explaination but I will go alittle further.

After your initial application you will go through Phase I testing and if you pass that you will go through Phase II testing.  You will then at the least fill out a very in depth background check which will ask you to certify that you met all drug requirements and then some.  If all goes well, you will be sent  a five page conditional letter which will once again make very clear that you are expected to be in compliance with all drug policies in effect.  Any variation or deviation from this will cause your immediate disqualification for not displaying "candor" in your application.  Any admission at any time during this process in violation of the policy will result in immediate disqualification.   Admissions previous or during the polygraph will be extremely damaging and lead to immediate termination of your application process with no structured appeal method.  You will then be disqualified from any future FBI applications for your lifetime.

I know that you have an "in" using your retired agent's reference.  This is a great thing to have but in no way will this give you special dispensation from the drug policy.
Your special degree and diversity are what the FBI does want but do not think that  the FBI is ready to "forgive" you for not being honest and violating their drug policy.  You can be removed after becoming a special agent if it is found out that you violated this policy in the future.

Regards.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Apr 27th, 2003 at 7:07pm
So has anyone heard of anyone being truthful about their drug use and still getting in???  Also, would you advise me to wait 2 years and just get some work experience in the meantime??  I'd like to get in now b/c the FBI is hiring for people with my degree when most others are not, but I really would like to get in and don't want to blow my chances.

Let's say that when the time comes, on the application or wherever it may be....that I admit to using a year ago, will I ever be able to apply again??  Or can I only never apply again if they find out I lied somewhere?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box False +
Senior User

Reply #4 - Apr 27th, 2003 at 11:53pm
Sara N,

I should mention that I have never had any experience (at least first hand) with the FBI, so I'll defer specifics to Fair Chance. And I know no one in the FBI. However, insofar as the FBI acts like any other national security related federal agency, I am fairly certain that if you admit to your drug use (yes, even just that *ONE* time) your application will die.

Technically, if you do stay drug free for the next 2 years, you are eligible again 2 years down the road. You can mention your drug use at that time and not be automatically disqualified. Though I should mention to you something about how polygraphers handle drug information. Very often, when an examinee admits to a certain amount of drug use, the examiner will often try to make this drug use out to be more than what the examinee initially reports. Whether the examiner is correct or not, the examinee should be prepared for a brutal rebuttal by the examiner. So ... if you reapply 2 years down the road, be ready for your examiner to be confrontational with your about your reported drug use.

As for whether you should continue your application now or get some other work experience for a couple of years, you can judge that better than me. Lastly, you should know that many a federal/state/local polygrapher reads this message board. For your own privacy, I hope your real first name ain't Sara and that the letter N appears nowhere in your real last name. It would be even better if you were actually a guy too! Good luck.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #5 - Apr 28th, 2003 at 2:16am
Quote:
So has anyone heard of anyone being truthful about their drug use and still getting in???  Also, would you advise me to wait 2 years and just get some work experience in the meantime??  I'd like to get in now b/c the FBI is hiring for people with my degree when most others are not, but I really would like to get in and don't want to blow my chances.

Let's say that when the time comes, on the application or wherever it may be....that I admit to using a year ago, will I ever be able to apply again??  Or can I only never apply again if they find out I lied somewhere?

Dear Sara N.,

I have heard of people being honest with their drug use and getting in but they were within policy guidelines and like False+ has stated, they were subject to severe scrutiny beyond the crapshoot  of the polygraph.

Please wait two years so you can be within the policy guidelines and you will be able to look anyone in the eye and unhesitantingly state that you are within the FBI drug policy.

If you lie about it now and they find out anytime in the future, your whole career will be in possible jeopardy. You state that you have done it within the past three years and if you lie about it in any way the FBI will be very unforgiving.  I doubt you will ever be seriously considered again.  The FBI states on its webpage, applications, and background investigation that anyone who has used marijuana in the past three years should NOT apply.  The FBI is going to allow you to make life and death decisions in your career and your court testimony might take away someone's right to live outside of prison.  They will not take lightly the fact that you cannot read and follow explicit directions on an application process.  There are many agents in the FBI who look on any illegal drug use, regardless of the guidelines in a very negative way.   

I know what a difficult process it has been for me and I have been in final background for a long time.  The FBI is far more intense and detailed in their background investigation than most organizations.  They have spent at least $20,000 to investigate my background and they leave very few stones unturned.

Regards.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Apr 28th, 2003 at 5:24am
Thanks for the advice, I suppose I can wait 2 years if this is something I really truly want to pursue.  Smiley  I wouldn't want to screw up my chances.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #7 - Apr 28th, 2003 at 8:26pm
Sara,
My sister (also named Sara!!!) smoked marijuana a few times while she was in her junior year of college. She graduated near the top of her class, earning a degree in International Studies. That and the fact that she fluently reads, writes and speaks 6 languages caused the FBI to recruit her heavily for an overseas assignment (CIA as well). She was very candid with the recruiter, and told him about her "recreational" drug activity and the fact that she had not done any drugs in over 1 1/2 years. He told her to stay clean for two more years and he would give her a call if she was interested, telling her that it would no longer be an issue then. This leads me to believe that if you wait it out and are then very honest with them, you will have a lot better chance than you do now.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box bubba

Reply #8 - Oct 7th, 2003 at 7:50pm
Sara,

If you don' t mind I'd like to make a comment. I just recently went through the poly process. I was very candid about my marijuana use (3 times at least 5 years ago) with the polygraphers. The first said nothing to be but I would be informed of the decision. The second stated that it seemed I was being deceptive about my drug use. 

The point I am trying to make is even though I was candid about my usage. They still scrutinize the little use you may have done. Even if after their 3 year stipulation.

Bubba

IP Logged

FBI drug policy and application process

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X