Normal Topic Was this a fair test?! (Read 3330 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box tosaturn
New User

Was this a fair test?!
Apr 10th, 2003 at 7:45am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I had my poly test the other day.  The examiner was polite and professional and said he was above all fair.  After the pre-interview we did the stim test, which was "pick a number and say no to every question."  You don't know how much my heart sank when he could not tell which number I was lying about!  He guessed wrong twice.  So I knew I was in trouble...

On the relevant questions I did not lie, but I did on a few of the control questions.  I had hoped that that would generate enough anxiety, but he had a hard time getting a read on me.  At one point he asked if I trusted him!  After blowing the stim test what kind of question is that?!  He did many charts and the whole thing took over 3 hours.  At the end I was exhausted and had a splitting headache.

At the end he said I was border-line inconclusive, he did not believe I was a spy but had "concerns" about my drug usage.  He said headquarters would have to make a final determination.

I wonder if this was a fair test because:

1.  The room was very cold.  He actually had me walking up and down the hall rubbing my hands together to get them warmed up and my heart rate up!

2.  He told me not to take deep breathes, so I had to sort of choke out my yeses and nos.  This was not the natural way to speak for me so was I misinterpreting his directions?

3.  I was one week into a common cold.  I was not feeling too bad and was not taking any medicines, so I felt it would not be a problem.  But could this have suppressed my responses?  (I did not mention having a cold to the examiner.)

I am assuming I will get an inconclusive, and will have to take it again.  Should I tell the next guy about these concerns (do I assume it will be someone different?), and how do I avoid another inconclusive result?  I only get one more chance at this...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Was this a fair test?!
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2003 at 8:07am
tosaturn,

I am very sorry to read about your experience. It is not uncommon, however. If the agency to which you have applied is the CIA, for example, you should be aware that it is common for applicants to be told that the first "test" was inconclusive and that additional "testing" will be necessary. NSA plays the same dishonest game.

No matter how polite and professional a polygraph examiner may be, the polygraph "test" is not a fair one because it has no scientific basis whatsoever. It is inherently unfair to judge a person's honesty and integrity on the basis of such quackery.

Any or all of the three factors you listed could have affected your physiological responses as measured by the polygraph, but there is simply no way to know for sure whether they contributed to the alleged inconclusive outcome.

If you haven't already done so, download The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. In Chapter 4 you will find measures you can take to help avoid another inconclusive (or worse, a false positive) result.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Accountable

Reply #2 - Apr 10th, 2003 at 6:03pm
There goes George, pushing his junior high style "research" paper.  He calls polygaph people to account for misrepresenting their credentials but he never tells people he knows nothing about the polygraph - not in his book nor in his numerous posts advising people on what to do on their polygraphs.
He has failed one polygraph test - showing deception on EVERY relevant question.  And he has never used any of the countermeasures he advises others to use.  Just thought it might be good to hold him accountable. Roll Eyes

Now watch the 7 dwarfs come to his defense.  I suspect Beech Trees to be first out of the box, followed closely by Skeptic. Grin

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Apr 10th, 2003 at 6:30pm
Accountable,

I have not rested any of my arguments with regard to polygraphy on any claimed credentials, and I have not represented myself as anything that I am not. It would, however, be untrue to state, as you suggest, that I "know nothing about the polygraph."

The Lie Behind the Lie Detector is well-referenced with citations that skeptical readers may check for themselves. If there is anything in the book that you believe to be untrue or misleading, please explain. Your message will not be deleted or censored. In fact, we even have a special forum dedicated to discussion of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. Feel free to post a refutation there.

What more accountability do you want?

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Apr 10th, 2003 at 8:36pm
Accountable,

Sorry to burst your bubble. I'm not one of the "7 dwarfs". But I will nonetheless defend George. In frequenting this board I have never seen George claim to be something he is not. And his book (co-authored, by the way) is thoroughly researched and well-written.
I also saw no reference in his post to polygraphers misrepresenting their credentials. So what are yours? How long have you been performing polygraphs, , and for who?

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Was this a fair test?!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X