Normal Topic The Pentagon Wars (Read 2099 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

The Pentagon Wars
Apr 9th, 2003 at 12:11pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Last night, I watched a superb HBO movie called The Pentagon Wars (Richard Benjamin, 1998), a dark comedy that satirizes waste, fraud, and abuse in the Department of Defense. The movie is based on James G. Burton's non-fiction book, The Pentagon Wars: Reformers Challenge the Old Guard (United States Naval Institute, 1993).

The movie, which deals with the U.S. Army's research and development of the Bradley Fighting Vehicle, documents how Pentagon officials lie, cheat, steal, and viciously retaliate against whistleblowers.

The institutional corruption portrayed in this movie is not unlike that found in the U.S. Government's polygraph program(s). At the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute (DoDPI), research that fails to support policy objectives is covered up. For example, DoDPI never published Dr. Sheila Reed's third study of the "Test for Espionage and Sabotage" and apparently destroyed her research data. DoDPI suppressed Dr. Gordon H. Barland's racial bias study wherein innocent blacks were about twice as likely as innocent whites to wrongly "fail" a polygraph "test." Professor Charles R. Honts, a former DoDPI researcher, has testified before the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) that he was told that his job at DoDPI was not to test the validity of the polygraph techniques used at DoDPI, but to show that those techniques were valid. In addition, DoDPI apparently misled the National Academy of Sciences regarding the existence of polygraph countermeasure studies. In The Pentagon Wars, corrupt officials deliberately avoided live-fire tests of the Bradley Fighting Vehicle that would have shown that its armor was easily penetrated by even light anti-armor weapons, and that any soldiers inside would have been killed. In the same fashion, it appears that DoDPI is deliberately avoiding any meaningful research into polygraphy's most glaring weakness: it's ready susceptibility to countermeasures.

The retaliation that the whistleblower in The Pentagon Wars (Burton) experienced is also reminiscent of that suffered by Dr. Drew C. Richardson, the FBI Supervisory Special Agent and polygraph researcher who in 1997 blew the whistle on polygraph screening before the U.S. Senate Committee on the Judiciary's Subcommittee on Administrative Oversight and the Courts. In retaliation for his candor, Dr. Richardson was precluded from conducting any further polygraph research. (Later, the FBI suddenly and without warning dismantled its polygraph research laboratory while its sole remaining polygraph researcher was temporarily away.) The FBI prohibited Dr. Richardson from testifying in court on polygraph matters, even though he was eminently qualified to do so, prevented him from publishing under his own name an article critical of polygraphy in a peer-reviewed journal, and prohibited him from testifying in other fora.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: The Pentagon Wars
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2003 at 11:32am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
In the above post, I mentioned Professor Charles R. Honts' comments to the National Academy of Sciences polygraph review panel. I think what he said is especially quote-worthy. Speaking at Woods Hole, Massachusetts on 23 July 2001, Professor Honts stated:

Quote:
When I got to DoDPI, I was told that the mission of the Research Division was to demonstrate the validity of everything that was taught at DoDPI. Now, you need to read that literally, because that's how it was told to us. It was not, "We want you to test the validity and see if what we are doing is valid." We were told to validate it. ... "Don't you mean we should test the validity?" And it's like, they didn't even know what that question meant.

You can listen to Prof. Honts' comments here (about 25 minutes into the recording):

http://video.nationalacademies.org/ramgen/dbasse/072301_2.rm

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

The Pentagon Wars

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X