Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) wierd pulse and heart beat (Read 30898 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box wombat
User

wierd pulse and heart beat
Mar 21st, 2003 at 12:13pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
i got a question...
im probably going to be taking a polygraph test some time soon. now, i have very iregular pulse and heart beat. some times it goes very fast, some times very slow. im not sure what the condition is called. but some times a get a bit of a tight chest and lose my breath.
how does this affect a polygraph test? if at all.
if it affects it, then how? to my benifit or theres? could it make me fall on things im innocent on? or will it work for me and confuse them.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: wierd pulse and heart beat
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2003 at 12:24pm
wombat,

To the best of my knowledge, there is no peer-reviewed research on the effects of cardiac arrythmia (irregular heart beat) on polygraph examinations. Note, however, that polygraphy has not been proven through peer-reviewed research to work at better-than-chance levels with those without chronic or acute medical conditions.

Before you consent to any polygraph "test," I suggest that you download and read AntiPolygraph.org's free e-book, The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. See especially chapters 1 and 3.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

User

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2003 at 12:31pm
thanx for the answer but does any one know of any one with this or a similar condition that did the test?
how would it affect the test if i were to lie? would it make the lie more extreme or would it make it look "normal" on me.
same vice verca...?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2003 at 1:32pm
wombat,

There's really no way of telling. If your heart were to beat irregularly during the 20-30 second period following the asking of a question, it would presumably make your response to that question appear greater. Depending on whether that question was a relevant or a "control" question, such irregular heart beat might hurt or help you, respectively. But there is no way of knowing in advance when, during the course of a polygraph examination, irregular heartbeat might occur.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Mar 21st, 2003 at 5:26pm
Wombat,

My advice would be to make certain you have let the examiner know about your irregular heartbeat. That will at least serve to give you some grounds to contest if the results aren't correct. Since the APA Code of Ethics is clear about giving examinations to people with a physical or mental condition that may skew the results, your examiner should  be very careful in conducting and scoring the exam. That's not to say that he/she will be. Good luck.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box triple x
Very Senior User

Fear what you cannot see...

Reply #5 - Mar 23rd, 2003 at 5:24am
Wombat,

I agree with the other replies to your question. I would definitely consider informing the polygrapher as well as the agency if you’re applying for employment [not sure] prior to your scheduled polygraph exam.

Your specific medical situation “irregular heartbeat” could either play to your favor, or against you depending on the type of question asked at the given moment and time a possible irregular heartbeat may occur. 

Hopefully, you will not experience any heart beat irregularities during your polygraph testing. I suggest that you consider reading “TLBTLD” available for free on this website.

Knowledge is power, regardless of your situation. 

Be informed. 

Respectfully,
Triple x

IP Logged

User

Reply #6 - Mar 24th, 2003 at 12:22am
thanx for all the replies.
ive almost finnished reading the book, very interesting.
but. in reality, if you were to folow the "rules" i.e. control your breath and react "funny" to control questions will it "hide" lies? or is it individual?
my impression of what i have read so far is that its not too hard to "trik" the polygraph. or am i totaly wrong?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #7 - Mar 24th, 2003 at 12:32am
wombat,

You may wish to review Chapter 3. No offence intended, but it appears that you have not fully understood it. The polygraph does not detect lies. Rather, deception with regard to relevant questions is inferred when reactions to them are stronger than reactions to corresponding "control" questions. Conversely, if reactions to the "control" questions are stronger, it is inferred that answers to the relevant questions were truthful.

You are correct in your impression that it is not terribly difficult to "trick" the polygraph.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

User

Reply #8 - Mar 24th, 2003 at 1:30am
i got the point of chapter 3, i just dident explain my self properly...Smiley

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box J.B. McCloughan
Very Senior User

Reply #9 - Mar 24th, 2003 at 6:43am
wombat,

There are no studies, to my knowledge, that specifically address the notion that either tachycardia or bradycardia will effect the accuracy of a polygraph examination.    

Your condition may be construed as a heart condition, depending on the standard procedures of the examiner, and require a medical evaluation and doctors written approval prior to the administration of a polygraph.  I would suggest that you contact your examiner and ascertain whether or not you need to get a doctors approval prior to your scheduled polygraph.  This will help eliminate the possibility of needing to reschedule your exam.

Quam verum decipio nos

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Seeker
Very Senior User

"There are only two sins:
 The first is to interfere
with the growth of another
human being, and the
second is to interfere
with one's own growth."
 Anonymous

Reply #10 - Mar 27th, 2003 at 8:01am
Quote:
wombat,

There are no studies, to my knowledge, that specifically address the notion that either tachycardia or bradycardia will effect the accuracy of a polygraph examination.    

Your condition may be construed as a heart condition, depending on the standard procedures of the examiner, and require a medical evaluation and doctors written approval prior to the administration of a polygraph.  I would suggest that you contact your examiner and ascertain whether or not you need to get a doctors approval prior to your scheduled polygraph.  This will help eliminate the possibility of needing to reschedule your exam.

Ok, since no one ever bothered to answer me before - either you guys think I am too simple to understand scientific terminology ( I do own a dictionary guys), or else you just don't know the answer - I am going to ask again.

Is there any known medical conditions, or situations wherein a person has a long medical history of taking certain medications, that would cause an examiner to decline giving a polygraph to an individual?

*wondering if this will ever be answered*

Regards,

Seeker

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #11 - Mar 27th, 2003 at 11:58am
Beta blockers are often prescribed for tachycardia together with high BP as it tends to increase stroke volume and attenuates rate. One, Propranolol, has been studied as to countermeasure properties and was found to have little effect except for some decrease in false positives (Gatchel et al, 1984), unpublished, Univ. of Texas. Presumably, polygraphers are not concerned by Beta blocker usage which is especially common for high BP treatment in younger patients.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #12 - Apr 21st, 2003 at 6:17am
Seeker,

Sorry for the delayed response.  I am productively busy these days and missed your question when originally posted.

To my knowledge, the only eliminating heart condition is that which may lend itself to an increased risk of a myocardial infarction.  Marty is correct in his cite that beta blockers have not been shown to eliminate physiological responsibility.   I know of no studies that have proven that any medication accomplishes the previous stated.

Quam verum decipio nos

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Seeker
Very Senior User

"There are only two sins:
 The first is to interfere
with the growth of another
human being, and the
second is to interfere
with one's own growth."
 Anonymous

Reply #13 - Apr 24th, 2003 at 12:36am
J.B.,

Thank you for your response.  Would I be far off if I said that past claims by individuals that the use of various medications altered their polygraph results were totally without basis?

Also, I have heard some local polygraph examiners say that the only "condition" that they know of that alters the outcome of the exam is when a person is a pathological liar.  Does this have any foundation?

Thanks in advance for all responses.

Regards,
Seeker

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #14 - Apr 24th, 2003 at 6:49am
Seeker,

My experience in the field and knowledge from the available research would not substantiate either of these claims.

Quam verum decipio nos

IP Logged

wierd pulse and heart beat

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X