Normal Topic Experimentation Question (Read 3631 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box JerryB
New User

Experimentation Question
Mar 2nd, 2003 at 3:07pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Just found this site...very informative.

Can someone please help.  I have a polygraph test coming up for a police position.  The policy is no drug use in the past calendar year.  I'm 31, and believe it or not, I experimented for the first time with marijuana 10 months ago.  One time and that was it.  Should I admit to this?  We'll they be OK since I did very well on all of the tests.   Or should I roll the dice and hope for the best in the polygraph?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

-Jerry

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Re: Experimentation Question
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2003 at 5:26pm
JerryB wrote on Mar 2nd, 2003 at 3:07pm:

Just found this site...very informative.

Can someone please help.  I have a polygraph test coming up for a police position.  The policy is no drug use in the past calendar year.  I'm 31, and believe it or not, I experimented for the first time with marijuana 10 months ago.  One time and that was it.  Should I admit to this?  We'll they be OK since I did very well on all of the tests.   Or should I roll the dice and hope for the best in the polygraph?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

-Jerry

HI Jerry,

If their policy is truly '12 months prior-- drug free' then it seems clear to me that you don't meet the qualifications.

Note that characterizations like 'experimented' appear to an objective bystander as a way to minimize and obfuscate responsibility for your actions-- just an observation for you to consider should you decide to approach your potential employer with this information.

While a single instance of illegal drug use doesn't make you look like John Belushi, what could be damaging to your credibility is the way you handle things. Waiting until a possible post-test interrogation (whether bluff on his part or because of an actual physiological change surrounding the question) by your polygrapher and then admitting to a 'one time experimentation' will most certainly put everything else you said in suspicion, especially if you previously denied any illegal drug use at all.

Possible solutions? 

-- Get in front of the problem by coming clean to your BI. Tell him you're ashamed of your one-time stupid action, and that you're willing to take any number of drug tests to prove that you're truly drug-free now....

-- How long does the application process take? It's conceivable you will meet the calender-year requirement before your application is considered and before your polygraph.

I'm sure others will chime in with their suggestions as well.

Dave

« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2003 at 6:31pm by beech trees »  

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box triple x
Very Senior User

Fear what you cannot see...

Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2003 at 9:11pm
JerryB,

I personally think you are in a very sensitive situation. If you admit to the drug use 10 months ago, it is almost certain that you will be disqualified.

Then again, if you try to cover it up and conceal it during the polygraph exam, there is the risk that you will respond to the drug use questioning.

If you have not already done so, I suggest that you download and read "TLBTLD" before you take the polygraph exam. This reading and personal study may help you make the best decision for your given situation.

My personal pre-employment polygraph experience resulted in my decision to employ polygraph countermeasures. I passed the first polygraph exam [according to the polygrapher], however, when my charts were sent to the FBI DC polygraph lab for QA purposes, they "suspected" countermeasure use.

In hindsight, perhaps I responded to too many of the control questions to include the opening and closing statements "the test has now begin/the test is now complete". 

I share this information with you for the simple reason, if you decide to use polygraph countermeasures, practice before you get connected to the machine. Also, you may want to consider not responding to ALL of the identifiable control questions [if CQT is used]. Providing they administer a CQT test, consider responding to only a couple of CQT questions on each set of charts. 

If you are administered the R/I test, follow the advise as outlined in "TLBTLD" closely.

The best advice I can give you is to be honest, and tell the absolute truth. However, simply telling the truth is no guarantee that you will pass the polygraph exam, "false positive" [DI] results are not uncommon. Also, simply telling the BI the truth is no guarantee he/she/agency will "forgive" your drug use stemming from 10 months ago.

To sum it all up:

If you tell the truth, they are probably going to disqualify you anyway for not being within the guidelines of the LE agency drug policy. 

If you employ polygraph countermeasures, don't "over-do" it. You may stand a better chance of passing the polygraph exam, and get the job in which you seek.

If you choose not to employ polygraph countermeasures, lie about your drug use, and hope for the best on the polygraph exam results, you risk reacting to the drug use questions, thus, failing the polygraph exam. 

I would personally read; re-read and study the advice and information contained within chapters 3 & 4 in "TLBTLD". 

Disclaimer:
Remember, I followed my own advise as stated here, took two FBI pre-employment polygraph exams, [CQT & R/I] was initially told I passed the first CQT exam. The following week, I was suspected of using polygraph countermeasures, retested and failed.

I have been permanently [for ever] disqualified from further employment consideration with the FBI. Also, I was not attempting to hide anything in my background such as in your case with recent drug use. I was merely trying to reduce the risk of a false positive result.

It is my opinion; the reason I was "suspected" [not caught] of employing polygraph countermeasures is that I produced a "perfect chart”. Simply meaning, I responded to ALL controls, including the opening/closing statements, thus raising suspicion by the FBI DC polygraph lab. 

Good luck. 

Respectfully,
triple x

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Batman
Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Mar 3rd, 2003 at 4:55pm
Jerry,

What is it you want to do?  What does your gut telling you to do?  Once you decide give a shout and we can take it from there.

Batman

IP Logged

Experimentation Question

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X