Normal Topic will failing a poly mess up your chances 4 other (Read 2422 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box bennyblanco
New User

will failing a poly mess up your chances 4 other
Mar 1st, 2003 at 8:27am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi,
I plan to apply to 2 diff. dept.'s that go through the same personnel office in cali. If I fail a poly with one dept. will it ruin my chances with the other dept. I Have nothing to hide, but considering what I have heard about failing the poly even if you do tell the truth, it has made me alittle concerned.
Also what if one of the dept.'s do not poly? will failing the other one effect the appl. process of the other. I would appreciate any information I could get on this matter.

Thanks in advance to all.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box triple x
Very Senior User

Fear what you cannot see...

Re: will failing a poly mess up your chances 4 oth
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2003 at 10:31pm
Bennyblanco,

[You ask]
“If I fail a poly with one dept. will it ruin my chances with the other dept.”

Assuming that you have not yet been subjected to a pre-employment polygraph exam with either of the two CA departments in which you seek employment, you must consider: 

Should you fail a pre-employment polygraph exam with any Federal/State/LE agency; I don’t believe that any other agency would “readily” dismiss or “forgive” your previously failed polygraph exam without further extensive questioning with regard to the exact nature of your failed result.

[You wrote]
“I Have nothing to hide, but considering what I have heard about failing the poly even if you do tell the truth, it has made me alittle concerned.”

You have every right to be concerned with respect to failing a polygraph exam even if being completely forthright and truthful. Total honesty and simply telling the truth, is no guarantee of passing a polygraph exam. False positive results are not uncommon.

[You wrote]
“Also what if one of the dept.'s do not poly? will failing the other one effect the appl. Process of the other”

Good question. I would “theorize” that any agency that does not require experienced, qualified and potential candidates for employment to pre-employment polygraph testing evidently does not put much confidence or trustworthiness in the polygraph. 

Likewise, a previously failed pre-employment polygraph exam with another agency would not exactly preclude a candidate from some degree of suspicion. Having said that, a previously failed pre-employment polygraph exam could reasonable play against a candidate’s advantage.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Triple x

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box james

Re: will failing a poly mess up your chances 4 oth
Reply #2 - Mar 20th, 2003 at 3:44am
i took my first polygraph last month, and did not pass. while taking the written test for another police department, i came across some already certified police officers who had tried to get on with other departments and did not pass there polygraphs.

IP Logged

will failing a poly mess up your chances 4 other

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X