Normal Topic Brain Fingerprinting and the Terry Harrington Case (Read 4087 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Brain Fingerprinting and the Terry Harrington Case
Feb 27th, 2003 at 6:41pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
In a case of major significance for brain fingerprinting, a form of concealed information or guilty knowledge test, the Iowa supreme court has reversed the murder conviction of Terry J. Harrington. A brain fingerprinting test indicated that Harrington was unfamiliar with details of the crime scene. The court's ruling may be read on-line here:

http://www.judicial.state.ia.us/supreme/opinions/20030226/01-0653.asp?printable=...;

See also the following press release on the Brain Fingerprinting Laboratories website:

http://www.brainfingerprinting.com/harrington.htm ;

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Re: Brain Fingerprinting and the Terry Harrington
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2003 at 7:00pm
I had read about Terry's retrial and was astonished the judge ruled as he did given the evidence.  Not surprised that he was overturned.

Any new technology takes a while to be vetted and trusted or discarded.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box The Shadow
User

Who knows what evil lurks
in the hearts of men?
 The Shadow knows

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2003 at 5:30am
FYI on "Brain Finger Printing", it has promise, but even Dr Farwell will admit that it is limited in its application/use.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2003 at 6:43am
Shadow,

As is the case with standard polygraphy, Brain Fingerprinting should absolutely not be used for general screening applications (fishing expeditions), i.e., periodic/aperiodic testing (screening) of applicants, employees, convicted sex offenders, etc.  Such a use would be invalid and the damage caused would be as ethically indefensible as is the case with polygraph screening now.  We have no intention of promoting our services for inappropriate applications.  I am glad to say that we limit our services in such a way--I would have no connection with Brain Fingerprinting if it did not; unfortunately, as the NAS panel has concluded, by not doing likewise, the polygraph world has created a situation which poses a danger to the national security and likely victimizes thousands of our citizens each year.  Although the NAS panel did not specifically call for the end to polygraph screening, it did provide an ample justification for decision makers to reach such a conclusion and take such action.  I would like to think that the DOE (the sponsors of the aforementioned study) will take the lead and begin this process (ending/severely limiting polygraph screening for its employees) over the next year.

With regard to specific issue testing, I would estimate that with properly trained investigators and analysts in place for a given jurisdiction that in excess of 70 percent of matters investigated properly (involves having concealed information collected in a timely, logical, and complete manner and then preserved and properly protected) will be amenable to Brain Fingerprinting analysis and other forms of concealed information testing.  Nationwide, this, of course, amounts to a tremendous amount of potential applicability to criminal casework and various administrative inquires.  We are in the process of planning an evaluation of both the applicability and the validity of Brain Fingerprinting and concealed information testing using standard polygraph instrumentation that will involve a formal study including real field cases .

« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2003 at 7:40am by Drew Richardson »  

IP Logged

Brain Fingerprinting and the Terry Harrington Case

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X