Normal Topic how does failing a poly affect other employment (Read 1962 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box guest

how does failing a poly affect other employment
Feb 26th, 2003 at 1:02am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
if you failed the poly for a federal law enforcement position, would that affect getting a job with another federal agency, if you werent going to work on the law enforcement side, ie a support position.

would they ask if you applied for a job with another agency and then check with them and discount you right away because of a failure in the polygraph. Im not sure how this works. Im asking because it seems the federal govt is one of the few places that is hiring people.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box steincj
Very Senior User

Re: how does failing a poly affect other employmen
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2003 at 1:49am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  

Quote:

if you failed the poly for a federal law enforcement position, would that affect getting a job with another federal agency, if you werent going to work on the law enforcement side, ie a support position.

would they ask if you applied for a job with another agency and then check with them and discount you right away because of a failure in the polygraph. Im not sure how this works. Im asking because it seems the federal govt is one of the few places that is hiring people.

Guest,

I cannot speak for all government agaecies, I can only speak from personal experience, and it is only with the LE side.
My personal statement on this site explains my whole ordeal.  Here is a pertinent excerpt:
Quote:
After speaking with the Applicant Coordinator for US Customs Service in Denver, I was sent the initial computerized application. The Coordinator didn't care that I failed a bogus polygraph, and said he thought it would have no impact on my career with Customs. While filling out the application, I noticed a problem. Section IV, Question #19 asks if I was "ever denied employment by any Federal law enforcement agency." It goes on to define denial of employment as "issued an offer of employment that was rescinded by the issuing agency due to failure of the medical examination, drug test, background investigation or polygraph examination."  For me, this question lumps me, an honest man falsely accused of espionage, in with the medical rejects, druggies, and criminals.

I am still appealing the FBI's results, and I have still heard nothing from Customs.  Please note that the early stages of the Customs application encompasses all of the Department of the Treasury (Customs, DEA, USSS, ATF, etc.)

Chris

IP Logged

how does failing a poly affect other employment

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X