Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) pre-poly jitters (Read 11731 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: pre-poly jitters
Reply #15 - Feb 19th, 2003 at 6:39pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Boy1der,

You write:

Quote:
compilot34, you should be absolutely honest on your application as everyone here has stated.  However, if you take advice to use countermeasures, remeber where you got it from and who they have undoubtably assisted.  You made a mistake when you were a few years younger because you were not thinking clearly.  Think very clearly about this!

I agree with you that compilot34 should think very clearly about the foregoing. You seemingly suggest that the information on polygraph procedure and countermeasures found on AntiPolygraph.org should be disregarded because those providing the information are, in your view, socially irresponsible and/or unethical. However, your reasoning here is fallacy of the ad hominem variety. The accuracy of the information presented here and/or the adviseableness of any advice offered here is not dependent upon the social responsibility or ethics of those providing such information/advice.

If you believe that any of the information provided in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector is either untrue or otherwise misleading, why not say so and explain your point of view? (We even have a forum dedicated to such discussion.)

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Boy1der

Reply #16 - Feb 19th, 2003 at 7:26pm

Quote:

The accuracy of the information presented here and/or the adviseableness of any advice offered here is not dependent upon the social responsibility or ethics of those providing such information/advice.

So you agree that you and others on this site are socially iresponsible and or lack ethics regarding the information you provide.  I would again caution anyone who would follow such advice.  My advice is to find a more positive avenue in which to discuss your disagreement or disent.  Certainly a well educated person such as yourself can think of a more ethical manner in which to protest, or can you?  Does it take a national security incident or the victimization of a child to express your concern?  No doubt you will not acknowledge any culpability in assisting truely dispicable people.  Thats O.K. your own words have made it clear.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Taz23

Reply #17 - Feb 19th, 2003 at 8:13pm
compilot34,
Man you are trully taken a beating here. Personlly most who have replied (no personal attack on anyone, though I'm sure I'll receive a public lashing for my post too) live in a fantasy where LE officers just do their jobs, and never wonder into the dark side themselves. Ah, Utopia what a beautiful place. Modern Society has decided that marijuana (a hallucigen) is bad and people who use the natural herb are bad. On the other hand alcohol (a depressant)a processed chemical specifically designed to intoxicate our minds is perfectly legal and controlled by our government, both easily accessable for abuse. Little known fact, alot of juries and judges do not convict DWI's for fear that one day it may be them sitting in the defendant's chair.

Personally, I had a real hard time getting into LE. The process really sucks, and the entire decision of wether you get hired or not rests on the hands of one individual, usually a polygrapher or Background Investigator. 
If you have trully changed your ways, then use all the resources available to you to fulfill your dreams. At the end of the day you are only accountable to answer to one being for your actions. I think most who have replied previously would have to eternally punish themselves, if they were to measure themselves with the same ruler with which they have measured you. A person's character and "standards" is not based upon wether they have obeyed all the laws written by modern politians. Nope, a person's character is measured by something much higher. 

My humble advice, if it doesn't have a paper trail and you are only accountable to yourself and the supreme being, then as far as anyone else is concerned,it never happened.

Regards,
Taz

PS Save your posts about letting serial murders, rapists, robbers, burglars etc getting away with crimes if it doesn't have a paper trail. My post has nothing to do with those type of people. Thx.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #18 - Feb 19th, 2003 at 9:10pm
Boy1der,

You write:

Quote:
So you agree that you and others on this site are socially iresponsible and or lack ethics regarding the information you provide.

Not at all. My post indicated no such agreement, either explicitly or implicitly. By blatantly mischaracterizing my remarks thus, you have provided a vivid illustration of how polygraphers (perhaps unwittingly) may twist innocuous remarks into damaging admissions. (This is a reason why all interrogations, including polygraph interrogations, should be video- or audio-recorded.)

If you wish to discuss the ethics of making information about polygraphy (including polygraph countermeasures) publicly available, I'd be happy to address that. Note, however, this is an issue that has been discussed at length in previous message threads, which you may wish to review, and which may be more appropriate for this topic. You can search these boards by clicking on the " search" button above (or the preceding link) and typing "ethics" as a key word. (Be sure to change the default search parameter from the past seven days to a larger number, like "1000," which will cover all posts on this board to date.)

I note that you have still not given compilot34 any convincing reason to disregard anything contained in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. Is it the case that you are not able to point to any information therein that you believe to be incorrect?

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Reply #19 - Feb 20th, 2003 at 2:58am

Quote:

By blatantly mischaracterizing my remarks thus, you have provided a vivid illustration of how polygraphers (perhaps unwittingly) may twist innocuous remarks into damaging admissions.

What was innocuous or misleading?  You stated (correct me if I misunderstood the point of it) that accuracy and ethicality do not go hand in hand.  Just because you feel correct and just, does that absolves you or anyone else here at this site from having to be ethical?  The message I got was you are not concerned about the ethicality of providing countermeasures.  If you are concerned please describe to me how you justify aiding true criminals in evading law enforcement, even if you do not believe in the validity of polygraph testing.  I have read in past postings how you do not take responsibility of who visits your site.  Since you are a reasonable man, do you think it is only those truthful people who are trying to ensure they are not wrongly eliminated from a potential Job?  Will you concede and admit that your efforts have directly benefited those wishing to evade law enforcement or commit crimes?  I hear you beckoning me to disprove anything you say here.  Do you here me beckoning you to account for your complicity in assisting criminals or potential threats to our national security?  Instead of urging me to discuss this elswhere, just answer the question.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #20 - Feb 20th, 2003 at 8:19am
Boy1der,

You've correctly understood my point that the accuracy of information does not rest upon the ethics or morality of the provider thereof. An unethical person can speak the truth, and an ethical person can be mistaken. You had told compilot34 "...if you take advice to use countermeasures, remeber where you got it from and who they have undoubtably assisted." But this is not a rational argument for disregarding any information on polygraphy and polygraph countermeasures available on AntiPolygraph.org.

You erroneously inferred from my foregoing point that I somehow "agree that (I) and others on this site are socially iresponsible and or lack ethics regarding the information (we) provide." I neither stated nor implied anything of the kind.

AntiPolygraph.org makes information regarding polygraph policy, procedure, and countermeasures publicly available and free in order to help truthful/innocent persons protect themselves against the significant error associated with this invalid diagnostic technique. This information cannot be provided to those who need it without also making it available to everyone. We make no apology for speaking the truth about polygraphy openly and plainly. (For a more detailed discussion of the ethics of making such information publicly available, see the discussion thread, A word or two from the "other side.")

I note again that you have not given compilot34 any compelling reason to disregard anything contained in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Reply #21 - Feb 20th, 2003 at 10:46am
My only advice to compilot34 was to be aware of where he was getting his information; from people who are willing to assist criminals and the like without regard to ethical behavior.  I am certainly glad you are willing to concede that in the process of helping those you feel to be innocent or potentially hapless victims, you also aide those much less than innocent and criminal.  I'm sure it is a cozy blanket you have yourself wrapped up in.  You and others have claimed that polygraph has made victims out of good and decent people, hence your justification for this site.  What of the criminals you have assisted in making victims out of good and decent people?  Using your mentality there should be an "Anti-Antipolygraph" site (which I'm sure you would gladly endorse, free speech and all).  This has been fun, but your point has been made:  You do not care about the ethical considerations regarding countermeasures and are more than willing to help criminals make "real" victims out of good decent people.  No doubt you will have a self-rightious reply and again ask me to argue the accuracy of your information.  I posted for the benefit of compilot34 and others reading this string.  Be aware that Antipolygraph sets ethical considerations aside to put forth their personal agenda.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #22 - Feb 20th, 2003 at 1:45pm
Boy1der,

You write:

Quote:
My only advice to compilot34 was to be aware of where he was getting his information; from people who are willing to assist criminals and the like without regard to ethical behavior.

I see. Perhaps compilot34 was unaware that the information on AntiPolygraph.org is freely available to (egad!) anyone with Internet access. It's a good thing you warned him/her of this dangerous and little-known fact! Roll Eyes

Now that compilot34 knows this sordid truth, what inferences should he/she draw regarding the accuracy of anything contained in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector?

Quote:
What of the criminals you have assisted in making victims out of good and decent people?

The information about polygraphy available on AntiPolygraph.org can assist criminals only to the extent that government places any reliance on this pseudoscience. That polygraph "tests" are handily defeated through the use of simple countermeasures that polygraphers cannot reliably detect is reason enough not to rely on polygraphy. Rather than reproaching us for pointing out that the polygraph emperor is naked, perhaps the polygraph community should put some clothes on?

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Reply #23 - Feb 20th, 2003 at 5:12pm
Georgie!  You resorted to sercasm.  Nonetheless you have been kind enough to acknowledge more than once you disregard any ethical concerns regarding your site.  My only response to your argument of accuracy is it doesn't wash the hands of dirt.

By the way I have reviewed the strings you suggested and you do not make any better argument there.  Take care.

IP Logged

pre-poly jitters

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X