Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) How do I deal with this? (Read 61483 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Alfred

Re: How do I deal with this?
Reply #135 - Feb 24th, 2003 at 2:50am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Michelle,

Start taking MORE Dex! The dosage you are taking does not seem to be working. I believe that the Caped Crusader might be wrong. You aren't abusing Dex - You just aren't taking it or you aren't taking enough.

I for one don't believe you should be a police dispatcher position or any law enforcement position for that matter AND it has nothing to do with your ADHD! It is your plan to be dishonest to your prospective employer's questions. Assuming they ask you questions about your medical health and/or medications you are taking, they have every right to know.  According to the PDR Guide to Prescription Medicine: Dexdrine:

"Because it is a stimulant, this drug has high abuse potential. The stimulant effect may give way to a letdown period of depression and fatigue. Although the letdown can be relieved by taking another dose, this soon becomes a vicious circle."

"If you habitually take Dexedrine in doses higher than recommended, or if you take it over a long period of time, you may eventually become dependent on the drug and suffer from withdrawal symptoms when it is unavailable."

"Side effects cannot be anticipated. If any develop or change in intensity, inform your doctor as soon as possible. Only your doctor can determine if it is safe for you to continue taking Dexedrine.

More common side effects may include:
Excessive restlessness, overstimulation

Other side effects may include:
Changes in sex drive, constipation, diarrhea, dizziness, dry mouth, exaggerated feeling of well-being or depression, headache, heart palpitations, high blood pressure, hives, impotence, loss of appetite, rapid heartbeat, sleeplessness, stomach and intestinal disturbances, tremors, uncontrollable twitching or jerking, unpleasant taste in the mouth, weight loss

Effects of chronic heavy abuse of Dexedrine may include:
Hyperactivity, irritability, personality changes, schizophrenia-like thoughts and behavior, severe insomnia, severe skin disease."

"Dexedrine may impair judgment or coordination. Do not drive or operate dangerous machinery until you know how you react to the medication."

"An overdose of Dexedrine can be fatal. If you suspect an overdose, seek medical attention immediately.

Symptoms of an acute Dexedrine overdose may include:
Abdominal cramps, assaultiveness, coma, confusion, convulsions, depression, diarrhea, fatigue, hallucinations, high fever, heightened reflexes, high or low blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, nausea, panic, rapid breathing, restlessness, tremor, vomiting."

No, I personally don't think you are abusing Dex, but I have my suspicions about illegal drugs. You have made such a stink about a legal drug that is prescribed to you...and your concern that this could cause you to react to questions concerning illegal drugs. Maybe this is a smokescreen to hide actual illegal drug use on your part? Am I willing to bet? No, it's just a idea. Anyway, have fun during your polygraph exam as I'm sure you'll pass with flying colors. Afterall, you've done nothing wrong - right?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Culo

Reply #136 - Feb 24th, 2003 at 3:25am
Dear Michelle,

Forget the dispatcher gig.  Join the air national guard! They take  legal amphetamines, and get paid to do it! Probably don't get subjected to polygraph torture, either.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/2020/DailyNews/2020_pilotpills021220.html

Sincerely,

Culo

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Michelle
Senior User

Reply #137 - Feb 24th, 2003 at 3:44am

Quote:
Michelle,

Start taking MORE Dex!

Do you think you could make up your mind?  First you tell me to take more and then you show me the horrors of taking more Dex.

Stupid people...

Quote:
According to the PDR Guide to Prescription Medicine: Dexdrine:

"Because it is a stimulant, this drug has high abuse potential. The stimulant effect may give way to a letdown period of depression and fatigue. Although the letdown can be relieved by taking another dose, this soon becomes a vicious circle."

"If you habitually take Dexedrine in doses higher than recommended, or if you take it over a long period of time, you may eventually become dependent on the drug and suffer from withdrawal symptoms when it is unavailable."...

More common side effects may include:
Excessive restlessness, overstimulation

I'm not going into another AD/HD vs. Dex lecture.  Not sure which of the trolls brought you over here but you seriously need to study AD/HD before making an ass of yourself yet again.  Next time perhaps you should read the entire thread before repeating tired issues that have already been explained.

And btw, Batman is still a piece of dog crap that runs away when the pressure is on.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Torpedo
Senior User

AKA Geen Lantern

Reply #138 - Feb 24th, 2003 at 5:35am
Batman, confused. boy1der and Guest, (and any other anti-polygraph people who are interested) it is time we just let Michelle go on her merry little way.  I think she has even become an embarrassment for George and his folks (and this board)...you will notice that few of them have anything to say...my guess is that they probably just hope she tires and goes away.  She has created a diversion to the discussion at hand.  As difficult as it might seem to believe, I was actually prepared to "make nice" to her in the interest of engaging her in debate/discussion until she went off on me AGAIN (with the pig comment). True enough, I (and others) are guilty of bashing her, but in all honesty, I think it was a defensive thing (it was on my part I know). Just look thouhg, she rarely engages anyone in a meaningful dialogue before she eventually begins to "eat their lunch". She simply isn't worth our time. Little does she know that some years back, I expressed an interest in performing some research on people who were diagnosed with what was then called just ADD (attention defecit disorder)...later editions of the DSM have now added the hyperactivity portion, which I presume caused the designation to read ADHD (attention defecit with hyperactivity disorder).  My genuine concern at the time was that when we polygraph juveniles or adults who have been diagnosed with ADD, would they be able to focus (throughout the test) on the issues for which we were testing (at the time, I was thinking only crim issues). Anyway, I  read a great deal on the disorder and spoke with a number of parents whose children had been diagnosed with the disorder.  The scope of my study expanded when an adult told me that he had ADD (but that he had made the diagnosis himself based on what the doctors had told him about his child) I tehn spoke with a large number of medical, psychological and treatment professionals in a mental health center that specialized in this disorder.  At the time (and it may have changed since then), their belief was that a child if treated (medically and psychologically) properly will grow out of the disorder.  THEY told me that it was common for adults to claim ADD to rationalize their "bad" behavior.  They arranged for me to witness the interview some patients so that I could learn more. Some told the interviwers that they had "faked" some of the DSM criteria in order to obtain ritalin (which at the time was the only drug being prescribed) I honestly got the impression that these medical professionals viewed ADD as a serious problem with children, but more of a problem with adults because of the increasing incidence of "faking".  Quite frankly, before I began to look into this, I had never heard of such a disorder.  Anyway, at the time, they told me that there was but one pen and pencil diganostic assessment test (unfortunately, I cannot remember the name of the test) that had any degree of reliability for identifying bona fide ADD cases and for that reason, they did not feel that I would be able to properly identify/separate the imposters from those genuinely suffering from the disease, at least to the extent of being able to obtain a statistically significant sample.   To be sure, there are a growing number of medical and psychological issues with which we are now required to deal on a daily basis.  That is why the level of our training continues to be improved and new topics are added so that we will have a better grasp of the behaviors we see before us.  I have been told and honestly believe that SOME of the people we test these days, as little as 5-10 years ago, they would be institutionalized and not part of the general work force and hence subject to polygraph testing.  Because of the myriad of drugs available to physicians these days (i.e. Prozac) these people are part of the everyday work force from where our testing population comes.  I will close for now, but with the realization and full expectation that Michelle will no doubt fire across our bow (that was for you Two Block) with how little we know and how much she knows.  Guest was incredibly on the mark with his/her last post and I applaud him/her, but I doubt if you will silence her. She is too far gone for that. At least George, Mark and a couple others have taken an examination and in my estimation have earned the right to engage in a discussion about it....Michelle?...she is a burr under our saddle.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #139 - Feb 24th, 2003 at 5:58am
Guest,

Different people have different debating styles.  Frequently, I see little reason to respond to the material posted by a couple of the polygraphers here, as I see that as justifying the unjustifiable.  Others have more patience than I for participating in flame wars.  I don't fault Michelle for that, although I do agree that such tends to make threads unreadable, and gives the flamers too much power to destroy rational debate (which would be vastly preferable).

And speaking of which, this thread has definitely become one dedicated to ranting and flaming; I would suggent much more relevant material can be found in others.

BTW -- Torpedo, I'm honestly curious as to when you feel you have ever participated in honest, reasoned debate at this site, in lieu of name calling.  I must have missed it.  Could you point to the thread and post, please?

Skeptic

/edit: Guest, I've noticed that the standard MO for a couple of our polygraph friends is to respond to nearly all criticism of the polygraph or questions regarding personal concerns with accusations of criminal wrongdoing or other personal attacks.  Most visitors here either ignore these accusations or simply abandon the site (surely, one of the goals of the hecklers).  Michelle chose to take on the libelers head-on, and if I do say so I believe she beat them at their own game.  I hope you aren't faulting her for that. -- Skeptic
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2003 at 9:21am by Skeptic »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Michelle
Senior User

Reply #140 - Feb 24th, 2003 at 6:05am
Torpedo....

I have stated that I am not giving any further AD/HD lectures to educate people such as yourself and I meant it.  However I find your post amusing.  I have to point out a few issues.

Just because you study an issue does not make you an expert.  Hell, you aren't even demonstrating expertise in polygraphs, others here seem to know far more than you.

As for adult faking AD/HD symptoms... hell yes, some do.  People are more apt to fake pain and receive Vicoden or Percocet.  Does that mean people across the board really don't have pain?  You need to engage in a few critical thinking skills because so far you are seriously lacking.

>>At the time (and it may have changed since then), their belief was that a child if treated (medically and psychologically) properly will grow out of the disorder.  THEY told me that it was common for adults to claim ADD to rationalize their "bad" behavior<<

Stats show that 75% of AD/HD children grow up to be AD/HD adults and if you had a freak'en clue you would realize that just because one has AD/HD that does not mean they demonstrate bad behavior.

Honest to goodness I fear for your targets at work.  You strike me as being the type of person that decides in the first 30 seconds of your encounter with a person if they will be *judged* innocent or guilty.

What a waste of air space you are.  And btw, you failed to answer the question I have posed.  You and your creepy little friends have done a poor job of redirection, perhaps you could answer the question instead of slamming anyone who disagrees with you.

Geez... have *some* amount of class, at least fake it if you have to.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Seeker
Very Senior User

"There are only two sins:
 The first is to interfere
with the growth of another
human being, and the
second is to interfere
with one's own growth."
 Anonymous

Reply #141 - Feb 24th, 2003 at 7:54am
I remember years ago hearing something about how some medications could alter the results of a polygraph.  I believe, if I am correct, that it was things along the line of Valium or Zanax. 

I was wondering if there is any validity to these claims.

Also, for you polygraph examiners, is there a list of medications or medical conditions that exempt someone from producing reliable (as if the test was such a thing) results?

I am not talking about countermeasures wherein medications are used, but where a medical diagnosis, or a history of medicines would be considered something that would cause an examiner to refuse to exam a subject.  I believe I have heard mention that pregnancy is one such medical condition.

Regards,

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Senior User

AKA Geen Lantern

Reply #142 - Feb 24th, 2003 at 9:11am
Michelle.......naw!!! never mind, you  have proven mypoint....go away little girl you bother us!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #143 - Feb 24th, 2003 at 2:51pm
I find it interesting about who is complaining about "too many postings."  This is an uncensored free-speech site.  No one is holding a gun to anyone's head to come to this site.  The reader is allowed to choose exactly what thread they want to read.

Anyone who has come to this particlular thread two, three, or four times has ample knowledge of what the discussion will pertain to.

I think the people complaining about repetitive discussion are the same people who go to a refridgerator every ten minutes during commercials and expect the selection to be different and then complain about it when it isn't.

For not liking the discussion, they keep it going.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box confused

Reply #144 - Feb 25th, 2003 at 1:18am
Wow, everyone had a great weekend.  Since I have been absent I will try to hit everything then back out of this discussion.  Forgive me for jumping around and if I credit you with something not said I apologize ahead of time.

Marty, congrats you watch JAG.  I never said she was any type of drug user or abuser.  I just said she can't prove she isn't (check her post about betting Batman) an abuser simply by showing unused or unfilled prescriptions.

Two Block, yes I think alot of Politicians lie, maybe not all.  I think a Polygraph would be a good idea.  I also think we might want to test teachers.  Do I think they all lie?  No, at least most of them but we have all heard of the sex offender who got into a school district when they shouldn't have.

I choose carefully who I vote for and I do vote because my vote counts, just like anyone else's.

Again I never said Michelle was a drug abuser.

Skeptic, thank you and I actually agree with you on the points about what I said about Michelle and about some of Batman's statements about Michelle.

Marty, so far you haven't said anything worth replying to so I won't.  Thanks again Skeptic, with you I agree to disagree and will discuss anything with you but not here.

Guest well said and I think I will take your advice.

Alfred, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Michelle, I was not trying to offend you by leaving you for last, just have alot to say.  Sorry if you said somewhere in your posts if it was ok to lie or cheat/manipulate to get a job I missed it.  You said you would lie if asked about your medical condition (still don't think they will ask).  Then wanted to know how to "get around that".

You are really full of yourself, not everyone thinks AD/Hd'ers are drug abusers so quit painting everyone with the same brush.  You can have far less conversation than you have had here and understand the effects of Dex on most people with the condition.

I never doubted you had Rx for Dex.  I don't care.

How do you know "Polygraphers don't "get it".  You haven't even tested yet.  Your baseing all your opinions on something you have know knowledge of except what you have gotten from an anti-polygraph site.  Where else have you gone to "find out about Polygraph"?  All good researchers look at all sides before forming an opinion.  I doubt you will do that your mind is made up without even any first hand knowledge.  Please fill us in on your other research.  At least some of the poster's here have had a test on which to base an opinion.

Again it is you who bring up religion not me.  My God, your God, who cares?  I don't think it is right, moral or whatever term you want to use to lie or manipulate (cheat) to get a job.  Of course it my opinion, which I have a right to.  I think it is the opinion of the majority of the society we live in but again just my opinion.  When I said something in an early post relating to one of the commandments (again it was incorrect) it was only to make a point which I am sure you understood.  You are the one who went off on a side bar about "your God".  Obviously a better anology should have been used.  It might have prevented your smoke screen.

When you have properly researched Polygraph you might become knowledgeable but not an expert. 
You might even find that some Polygraph examiners share some of the concerns discussed on this site, even your own.  They might even have good ideas on how to address that issue so you wouldn't have to lie or attempt to manipulate the test.

not CONFUSED just tired.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #145 - Feb 25th, 2003 at 2:25am
Confused

I don't remember if you have admitted to being a polygrapher or not but you write like one. If you are, at least one has answered. Thank you.

I have sent Wild Bill's letter, located in the reading room of this site, to many elected officials telling them I concur with this letter and asked them to write legislation to cause this to happen. I have not heard from a cotten picken one. Why don't you write to your elected officials proposing this and see if you get a response.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #146 - Feb 25th, 2003 at 5:16am
Confused

I forgot to respond to part of the post to me "sex offender in schools". To me they are the worst of the lot because kids look up to their teachers. However, polygraph is not the answer here. A dull knife is. I don't believe many people could broach the subject without showing a great deal of blood pressure and also raising the other two polygraph points. As I type this,even, my rage hackles are raised from head to toe. It's a subject that I can't discuss without getting angry.

IP Logged

Senior User

AKA Geen Lantern

Reply #147 - Feb 25th, 2003 at 5:49am
Two Block, I certainly agree with you....a dull knife would indeed solve the problem...but in our society, unfortunately, I might add, we can't do that.  Wouldn't it be nice though, even if what the opponents say that it is a "weapon of fright", that is "weapon" just might scare some slime bag out of applying for position in our children's and grandchildren's schools?  Let's take it one step further, how about using it to screen those who are providing "care" for our parents and grandparents when they must be institutionalized....have I started a new thread?

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #148 - Feb 25th, 2003 at 7:17am
Torpedo

I personally think society has gone to hell in a hand basket. There are some of us, when it comes to this subject, has to just say to hell with society and take care of business. If the polygraph could only target molesters, then I might agree with you. However, given my limited experience with the polygraph, I just don't beleive it can distinguish between rage (anger) and lies. Do you think it can? Maybe this can give rise to a debate. I know anger makes my BP rise 20 points and my breathing gets fast and deep. Aren't these two of the three, with the third (galvanic) hinging on the first, criteria for DI?

As for old folks homes, I don't think you want to get me started on that one either. I have a 90 year sister in one. Not my choice I assure you. I just may have to take care of business there because the state regulatory agency will do nothing. They keep those old soles knock out with drugs so they won't have to mess with them and can eat the food provided by medicare.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box confused

Reply #149 - Feb 25th, 2003 at 5:06pm
Yes, I am an examiner for fifteen years and proud of it.  Of course that ends any significant discussion on this site for me because examiners could never be right about anything especially relating to Polygraph.

I also believe in the dull knife but I would like to keep them out of dangerous areas.  I don't believe I have ever called a truthful person a liar when it comes to child molesting but there is always that possibility.  Would you like to see the drawer full of letters thanking me for clearing them of this awfull accusation?  What doesn't seem to get much play here is that the majority of examiners would rather miss a bad guy (false negative) than call a truthful person a criminal (false positive).  The latter happens a lot less than anyone here wants to admit.

The challenge is not catching bad guys.  Thats not hard.  It is getting truthful people, who are overly concerned about the test for various reasons, through it.  The great thing about bad guys is if we do miss them they generally get caught down the line and get what they deserve.

I tried a couple of years ago to have some frank and honest discussions on this site and just got abused for the attempt.  Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.  I will not debate Polygraph here anymore but some of the side issues and mind sets are interesting to discuss.  If I ever meet anyone from this site as we move through life, I am always up for a good discussion.

I don't think I am much different than most on this site.  If anyone ever molested my grandson I think I would kill them if given the oportunity and I think most of you feel the same.  However you condem me for trying to put them away any way I can, including the Polygraph.

I think there are more false positives and false negatives made in the medical profession than anywhere else.  Lets abuse doctors for awhile after all they are trying to help us.

not confused

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
How do I deal with this?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X