Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) FBI Polygraphing of Confidential Informants (Read 18868 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Seeker
Very Senior User

"There are only two sins:
 The first is to interfere
with the growth of another
human being, and the
second is to interfere
with one's own growth."
 Anonymous

Re: FBI Polygraphing of Confidential Informants
Reply #15 - Feb 20th, 2003 at 3:57am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Batman:

I think it would be wise to research the public record of the FBI's reliance on the polygraph in cases where informants are examined.  

A search on Google.com with the search words "FBI, polygraph, informants" will open you up to some public records that will go strongly against your suggestion that the FBI doesn't merely rely upon polygraph results.

In actuality, up until recent media attention was given to the horrendous mistakes made by the FBI's choice to follow the results of poly exams of informants (Carol Howe, OK City bombing, Emad Salam, WTC I bombing, and Abdulssuttar Sheikh, WTC II and Pentagon bombings of 9/11, just to name a few of the most serious), the FBI routinely dismissed an informant immediately upon a failure of the poly exam.  No further investigation was made into the information.  Also, any prior information provided by that particular source, valid or not, became discreditied along with the source.

You are further wrong in your claim that an informant who walks in to provide information is NOT put into the box first.  Again, a Google.com search will prove you to be wrong on that matter as well.  The FBI had a walk-in informant who gave them detailed information about the proposed events of 9/11, he or she was placed in the box, failed, and the FBI chalked it up to just being another lunatic.

Perhaps the agency that you work for does things differently.  Perhaps they value sources more than the bureau, and they try to ensure continued cooperation by not putting themselves in the position to insult a source with such nonsense as the polygraph. There are, in fact, several agencies out there who do not routinely suggest that their sources submit to polygraph examinations.  

Have you read the Statement of Agreement between the FBI and sources?  Have you read them for other agencies?  I assure you, there is quite a difference between them.

Now the bureau is facing a difficult situation publically.  They have learned that discounting information from sources based totally on the polygraph has gotten them into horrible trouble.  (Reading of Congressional Inquirys shows a lot of this, by the way.)  I just wonder when they are going to go one step further and realize what such futile faith in prescreening has done for them.  

Regardless of wether the poly is used to screen potential employees or of sources, to make a conclusion based soley on the outcome of such an inaccurate exam is totally unacceptable.

Regards,

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Batman
Very Senior User

Reply #16 - Feb 20th, 2003 at 10:04pm
Seeker,

Help me out here girl!  I went to Googel and searched on FBI, polygraph, informants as you said, and I tried to sift through several of the hits but could not come up with the folks or situations you referenced.  I even tried to search on the specific names you mention, by my God, there were thousands of hits.   

Contrary to popular belief, I'm always looking to learn, so if you could narrow it down just a bit for me, I'll give it a read.

Batman

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Seeker
Very Senior User

"There are only two sins:
 The first is to interfere
with the growth of another
human being, and the
second is to interfere
with one's own growth."
 Anonymous

Reply #17 - Feb 24th, 2003 at 9:35am

Batman wrote on Feb 20th, 2003 at 10:04pm:

Seeker,

Help me out here girl!  I went to Googel and searched on FBI, polygraph, informants as you said, and I tried to sift through several of the hits but could not come up with the folks or situations you referenced.  I even tried to search on the specific names you mention, by my God, there were thousands of hits.  

Contrary to popular belief, I'm always looking to learn, so if you could narrow it down just a bit for me, I'll give it a read.

Batman

Batman:

Sorry for the delay in my resonse.   

A search with the specific incidents, FBI, polygraph, informants gives a clearer and more managable list to read from.  When I search, I get a lot of hyperlinks to click on, and those direct me off to some other site.  I haven't figured out how to put those into a post as of yet.  I am trying to figure it out.

When you write something, sometimes what you mean to say and what you actually say are not always the same thing.  I never intended to say that overreliance on the polygraph alone resulted in these horrible events.  Rather, that if the polygraph was removed from the equation -- especially since it is deemed to be so very unreliable -- then there would be one less flaw in the investigation process.  My apologies if I came across as stating that I believed the whole burden of shame belonged on the believed or ignored results of a polygraph examination.

I always appreciate anyone willing to learn and read, Mr. Batman.  We all can gain by learning more.

Regards,

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

FBI Polygraphing of Confidential Informants

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X