Normal Topic Paper on polygraphs.... (Read 1624 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box RASCAL

Paper on polygraphs....
Feb 13th, 2003 at 7:55am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi!  I am a CJA student with a paper to write.  I have to choose a topic that involves police, is contraversial, something I can present two sides for argument and is something I am interested in.  Well, the Polygraph came to mind.  I personally have not yet had any experience with one, but am TERRIFIED to apply for fear of the polygraph.  I am not a dishonest person, but I have had a shall we say recreational drug history. Anyways, I would like to be honest on the exam, but I know if I was I would be disqualified for employment based on just that.  Anyways, I could go on about this for days.  I was just wondering if there were any other links with information on the topic, specifically ones regarding LE employment, and that may have measured statistics to include in my report.  Thanks ahead of time for any help.   Cheesy

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Poster-Boy

Re: Paper on polygraphs....
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2003 at 9:08pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hey Rascal....

I encourage you to do your report on the fraud called the polygraph...

A great source of information exists on this very site.

On the main page of Antipolygraph.org,  there is a blue box containing links (Message board, etc).  You will also notice a link titled "Reading Room."   

Go to this section of antipolygraph.org for info to use in your paper.

I also strongly encourage you to let your classmates--particularly fellow crim-just students--know about the issue you are taking up for your paper.

A good outline would be to discuss the following:

1.History of polygraph (developed by same man 
        who invented the wonder-woman comic....her
        lasso wrapped around people and forced them 
        to tell the truth!)
      2.The use of the polygraph today in law enforcement
        hiring procedures.
      3.Discuss the fact that the poly is--in reality--used
         only to obtain confessions (scare them out of you)
         that they would never otherwise get out of you.
      4.Discuss how the polygraph works,  and how it 
         depends on the examiner Deceiving YOU,
       5.Discuss how it is easy to beat the polygraph.
          End on this subject so that it sticks in their heads.

Another obvious source of info on the poly is available in the 
downloadable book "The lie behind the lie detector" which is
free to download on this site.

Studies proving the polygraph can be beat are easily available (have some that I read myself) if you can do a professional journals search (they appear in psych journals and the like).

Good luck,  and I BEG OF YOU to take part in the campus poster initiative. 

Sincerely,

Poster-Boy

IP Logged

Paper on polygraphs....

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X