Normal Topic Worried I didn't pass (Read 4427 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Worried I didn't pass
Feb 5th, 2003 at 6:53am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I recently submitted to a preemployment polygraph with a government agency.  During the test I was told I was reacting to the question about drug use and was confronted about it.  I admitted to using marijuana twice when I was very young (before high school), although before the test began I said I had no experience with drugs.  I knew that the test was only going to cover my drug use since much after that time (which, incidently, is absolutely none) I did not see any positive reason to admit to it.  Also, since I was younger than 16, I did not have to reveal this on the SF86 questionaire.  After making this admission, the polygrapher ran a few more charts and seemed satisfied that there was nothing else on my mind.  After the last chart the polygrapher left the room to "consult with management," and suggested that they confirmed her judgement.  Additionally, the polygrapher stated that he/she didn't think I would need to come back for a second polygraph.

The question is:  will I not need to go back because this admission is likely to have ruined my chances of employment anyway?  A few of the employees there thought it wasn't a big deal, as did the psychologist who examined me.  Still, I am worried.  Should I be?   

Thanks.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Vato

Re: Worried I didn't pass
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2003 at 4:47pm
It sounds like you did indeed pass.  The drug use that you told them about was outside of the scope of the SF86 and isn't relevant.

The bit about "consulting with management" is standard procedure.  They probably go and get a cup of coffee while they watch you on the video monitor.

Using marijuana twice while you were young will not disqualify you.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box GUEST

Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2003 at 10:13pm
If memory serves me correctly, the SF86 asks, "Have you EVER used marijuana?"  That means it covers your entire life.  There is the chance that you could have been DQ'd for lack of candor.

I could be wrong though...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bat Cave Guest

Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2003 at 10:59pm
You ARE wrong...the current SF 86 states:

"Since the age of 16 or in the last 7 years, which ever is shorter, have you illegally used any controlled substance, for example, marijuana, cocaine, crack cocaine, hashish, narcotics (opium, morphine, codeine, heroin, etc.), amphetamines, depressants (barbiturates, methaqualone, tranquilizers, etc.), hallucinogenics (LSC, PCP, etc.), or prescription drugs?  (Y / N)  If Yes, provide the following:"

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2003 at 11:45pm
Indeed, the copy of the SF86 I filled out asked for drug use since my 16th birthday.  The incident I admitted to during the polygraph was at least 3 years before my 16th birthday.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box GUEST

Reply #5 - Feb 6th, 2003 at 12:20am
Wow, things sure have changed since the last time I filled out a SF86...

Anonymous, 

If Batman's friend is right about the current SF86 format, then you are protected under the constitution and your early drug use is not applicable in the decision whether to grant a security clearance.  I would say that it is a safe bet that you passed.  Congrats and good luck!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box triple x
Very Senior User

Fear what you cannot see...

Reply #6 - Feb 6th, 2003 at 4:39am
Anonymous, GUEST, Bat Cave Guest:

Perhaps there may be some confusion with exactly which "Module" is in question with respect to the SF86 Security Questionnaire. 

Example: 

Module 22: Your Police Record – Firearms/Explosives offenses

Module 23: Your Police Record – Pending Charges

Module 24: Your Police Record – Alcohol/Drug Offenses

Module 25: Your Police Record – Military Court

Module 26: Your Police Record – Other Offenses

Module 27: Your use of Illegal Drugs and Drug Activity – ILLEGAL USE of DRUGS
Since the age of 16 or in the last 7 years, which ever is shorter, have you illegally used any controlled substance, for example, marijuana, cocaine, crack, cocaine, hashish, narcotics (opium, morphine, codeine, heroin, etc.), amphetamines, depressants, (barbiturates, methaqualone, tranquilizers, etc.), hallucinogenics (LSC, PCP, etc.), or prescription drugs? (Y / N) If yes, provide the following:

Controlled Substance/Prescription Drug Used:__________________________________

From:___________________ To:______________________ (YYYY/MM/DD)

Number of times used______________________________________________________

Module 28: Your use of illegal drugs and drug activity – Use in Sensitive Position
Have you ever illegally used a controlled substance while employed as a law enforcement officer, prosecutor, or courtroom official; while possessing a security clearance; or while in a position directly and immediately affecting public safety? (Y / N) If yes, provide the following:

Controlled Substance/Prescription Drug Used:__________________________________

From:___________________ To:______________________ (YYYY/MM/DD)

Number of times used______________________________________________________

Module 29: Your use of illegal drugs and drug activity – Drug Activity
In the last 7 years, have you been involved in the illegal purchase, manufacture, trafficking, production, transfer, shipping, receiving, or sale of any narcotic, depressant, stimulant, hallucinogen, or cannabis, for your own intended profit or that of another? (Y / N) If yes, no further information is required. 

Module 27 specifies within the question; "Since the age of 16 or in the last 7 years",...

Module 28 specifies within the question; "Have you ever illegally used "...

Module 29 specifies within the question; "In the last 7 years"...

Depending on exactly which "Module" is in question; since age 16, or in the last 7 years, or, in the past 7 years are all applicable.

The above referenced information is "verbatim" from my personal 5-year PR, Electronic Personnel Security Questionnaire SF86 Worksheet. 

Good luck to you Anonymous. 

Respectfully,
x

IP Logged

Worried I didn't pass

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X